Big East Considering Bubble | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big East Considering Bubble

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Well the NBA is playing at the Milk House, literally the national championship site for AAU (or at least it used to be). I don't see why arena size matters with no fans.
Fair point, though the image of two college games taking place on the Werth practice court side by side is cringe worthy.

C

Chief00

If you think fans are watching any game before Jan. 1 in person in this country then you're insane.
It probably depends if you are in the vulnerable category? Chief would attend all games from day 1.
fir those who incessantly worry, downs the time productively building your immune system via correct vitamins , losing weight and spending time in the Sun.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
College football seems doomed. I wonder if this escalates the Big East bubble discussion.

C

Chief00

Glad Chief once again is an expert. Please tell me which doctor told you that was all you need to do to be safe from this virus. I want to make sure NOT to go see him or her.
You need to do your research and coach yourself up. True, a steep climb but you can hopefully do it.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Make the student-athletes all wear personal bubbles. May be a little of an adjustment period but this is the ONLY way I see them surviving this. We don’t want them to end up like the other 2 healthy young men who have died from the virus.

5E11151C-DDB3-4C2F-A152-14EFE5040CF7.jpeg

C

Chief00

Make the student-athletes all wear personal bubbles. May be a little of an adjustment period but this is the ONLY way I see them surviving this. We don’t want them to end up like the other 2 healthy young men who have died from the virus.

View attachment 57480
Don’t fall for crazy antidotes - go with the data.

Reaction Score
It probably depends if you are in the vulnerable category? Chief would attend all games from day 1.
fir those who incessantly worry, downs the time productively building your immune system via correct vitamins , losing weight and spending time in the Sun.

Gotta love posts that blast right through hubris and head straight into arrogance.

Reaction Score
I would think schools with contracts that drive revenue for both the schools and the networks, donors, and are a vital cog in the marketing to regular students would be jumping at the opportunity to play in a bubble vs losing the season. I think it’s an already proven (so far) option.

Reaction Score
I don't see how any college president can justify taking the "student-athletes" and putting them in a bubble for safety, while also bringing back 10K regular students to the campus
Most students will be learning in their rooms this year, basketball player students would be learning in their rooms as well. Basketball players certainly wouldn't be missing out on any learning or extracurriculars and they would get to play the sport they love, only a finite # of years for that. If it's feasible money wise and I would imagine it is with the TV money, I don't see any reason not to do it.

Reaction Score
I completely agree that it should happen. I'm skeptical it does happen because it involves admitting that the basketball players are different than regular students. We all know it's true, but I think that causes issues for the NCAA when it comes to paying players

Most campuses will be closed to outsiders to avoid cross contamination. The very nature of Playing other teams facilitates cross contamination. It drives major revenue and is a huge part of supporting the school from a marketing perspective and especially alumni. A bubble will fly.

Reaction Score
I would think schools with contracts that drive revenue for both the schools and the networks, donors, and are a vital cog in the marketing to regular students would be jumping at the opportunity to play in a bubble vs losing the season. I think it’s an already proven (so far) option.

But.... you're going to force some students to live in a way that no other student is forced to do (never mind the fact that many majors will have in-person classes) in order that a revenue-producing sport can continue.

The optics are awful.

That being said, every school is making an effort to produce video of even in-person classes for students with health risks, so it might be possible to attend class in a bubble.

But the optics are still bad, in that you are compelling students to NOT take in-person classes.

Reaction Score
Most campuses will be closed to outsiders to avoid cross contamination. The very nature of Playing other teams facilitates cross contamination. It drives major revenue and is a huge part of supporting the school from a marketing perspective and especially alumni. A bubble will fly.

Campuses are going to shut down long before basketball season.

Reaction Score
I completely agree that it should happen. I'm skeptical it does happen because it involves admitting that the basketball players are different than regular students. We all know it's true, but I think that causes issues for the NCAA when it comes to paying players

I dont think it causes issues for the NCAA but for sure the optics are ugly. You're right about that

Reaction Score

Uh--the B1G and Pac12 are canceling football this morning.

Contracts be damned

Reaction Score
I would add that IF the conferences cancel football, then you can't expect basketball or other sports to continue prior to a vaccine. I highly doubt that they will play any other sports if they make this football decision.

If they cancel football it will mean that all sports are to be canceled. The decision will not be specific or due to the particularities of the sport of football.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure when the NCAA has let bad optics get in the way of doing anything they want, but there's a first for everything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom