Big East Considering Bubble | The Boneyard

Big East Considering Bubble

Reaction Score
So what you're telling me is college kids, who are mini celebrities on campus, are really going to sequester themselves from the rest of the world so they can play basketball for free?

Yeah sure. And I've got a big beautiful wall down south for sale if anyone's interested.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
So how would this work? Play the entire big east season and the tournament in the bubble over a what 4-5 week period?

Reaction Score
So what you're telling me is college kids, who are mini celebrities on campus, are really going to sequester themselves from the rest of the world so they can play basketball for free?

Yeah sure. And I've got a big beautiful wall down south for sale if anyone's interested.

Well, if they have to make a choice between playing basketball in a bubble or not playing at all, then I suspect some might choose the bubble. Don’t forget, these kids love playing, and their prospects of playing professionally might depend on getting a chance to play. Also, if it’s really a bubble with remote learning, then they might be safer than the typical college student.

Reaction Score
If classes are going to be available online for everyone anyway, could they create a bubble somewhere and have the kids do classwork remotely and games and practices within a couple of different facilities? To play 20 games you still need a minimum of 2 months. Of course part of it would be over a winter break for most schools.

Reaction Score
Wonder if there will be any crossover games. East coast teams play each other and Midwest play each other. Meaning UCONN could play Rutgers and UMD while Marquette, Butler, creighton would play some B10 games. Would love to see it

Reaction Score
Well, if they have to make a choice between playing basketball in a bubble or not playing at all, then I suspect some might choose the bubble. Don’t forget, these kids love playing, and their prospects of playing professionally might depend on getting a chance to play. Also, if it’s really a bubble with remote learning, then they might be safer than the typical college student.
No doubt they love playing basketball and that it's the biggest focus of their life right now. But they're also kids with uncontrollable desires that will be nearly impossible to curb. Just my two cents. I hope you're right but I just can't imagine this actually playing out like they think/hope it will.

Reaction Score
not to be a party pooper but i would kill myself if i had to spend even a month trapped between the XL center and a hartford hotel, especially during the winter

not that hartford has the facilities to support an 11 team bubble (need more than one court for starters) but it would be the same unbearable scenario pretty much anywhere outside of an all inclusive place like disney which is unique

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I could see conference only "bubbles" working. But the kids would hate it.
A bubble would be tough on student-athletes compared to their normal college experience. However, we don’t know what college life is going to look like this fall. It might suck. Literally any large gathering or social event will be unsafe. All that might be safe is staying in your room and going to class. I don’t even know if that will be safe in most places.

Reaction Score

It gets them national TV exposure. You bet your @$$ they're going to be very happy to play in a bubble.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we're going to stick with things being shutdown anytime we have any positive tests you either do a bubble or you move it back to Spring. The next 6 months or so are going to continue to suck, there is no normal college experience, kids are going to be stuck in their rooms so the players wouldn't be missing out on anything. There's basically just two choices if the kids want to play, bubble or Spring.

Reaction Score
Just want to take my duly earned credit for starting this idea and obviously, UConn officials were Boneyardin' yesterday and saw my post and now pursuing this brilliant idea with the Big East people.

You are all welcome I've saved UConn basketball this year.

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 1.10.13 PM.png

Reaction Score
I know many (maybe everyone on here) won't agree but I'd rather see no season than see it in a bubble.

I'd like to see them shoot for January with a somewhat normal season planned. If it gets close and it doesn't seem possible, cancel the season.

Reaction Score
They need to go virtual. eCollegeHoops. Games in the evenings weekly. Nobody gets hurt. We can start a Boneyard pool for fun. The options are endless.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom