Big East Considering Bubble | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Big East Considering Bubble

Reaction Score
Then the coaches should be professors and make professor salaries. Don't understand the outrage at players wanting a slice of the pie when coaches eat the whole thing.
The players already get a big slice - it's called a full scholarship. It is worth a llt of money.

Reaction Score
They are "paid" a market wage - a full college scholarship. I know kkds that would play for less.
And yet the market continues to dictate that they get paid more than just a scholarship

Reaction Score
And yet the market continues to dictate that they get paid more than just a scholarship
Doubtful. Most college football fans do not agree they should be paid more - that's what the NFL and NBA are for. The only people who want the athletes to get paid more than a scholarship are the Athletic administrators and coaches who are making obscene amounts and are will to give a little to keep their finan ial intests intact. Oh and the sports TV people.

Reaction Score
I just want consistency. If we expect the players to be full time students and get a scholarship. Why aren't coaches required to be teachers and live off that?

Thats honestly a stupid question

Reaction Score
Hurley would definitely teach classes if he had to..lol I can picture it too. Definitely not for that salary though.

Reaction Score
Doubtful. Most college football fans do not agree they should be paid more - that's what the NFL and NBA are for. The only people who want the athletes to get paid more than a scholarship are the Athletic administrators and coaches who are making obscene amounts and are will to give a little to keep their finan ial intests intact. Oh and the sports TV people.

This just points out it's not the market dictating what students can make. True markets don't care what the fans think. If the government stepped and broke up the NCAA cartel and forced schools to compete for the students labor just like the coaches then we would have a market and the fans sentiments wouldn't matter at all.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They are "paid" a market wage - a full college scholarship. I know kkds that would play for less.
It's a constrained market wage, not an open market wage. That's why citing "capitalism" for overpaid coaches rankles me.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
You forgot about the athlete.

Reaction Score
You forgot about the athlete.
No, I didn't. Let's conduct a poll among college students nationwide and see how many would consider a full scholarship and room and board to be like winning a lottery for them. The athlete is well cmpensated for playing a little football or basketball. The attraction of college sports is different than the NFL or NBA.

Reaction Score
No, I didn't. Let's conduct a poll among college students nationwide and see how many would consider a full scholarship and room and board to be like winning a lottery for them. The athlete is well cmpensated for playing a little football or basketball. The attraction of college sports is different than the NFL or NBA.
You continue to miss the point so I'm not sure why I bother, but I'll try anyway. Polling every college student is not the correct group to sample, because every college student nationwide does not possess the skills to play a D1 sport. The argument is not that a scholarship provides *no* value, it's that it doesn't provide *enough* value based on the free market

Reaction Score
You continue to miss the point so I'm not sure why I bother, but I'll try anyway. Polling every college student is not the correct group to sample, because every college student nationwide does not possess the skills to play a D1 sport. The argument is not that a scholarship provides *no* value, it's that it doesn't provide *enough* value based on the free market

The vast majority of college students should be polled on this because they subsidize those athletes.

Colleges exploit people to keep costs down. The class action lawsuit won by the players was actually based on a lawsuit of exploited students (non-athletes). This simply means the destiny of both are intertwined.

But--in order to keep tuitions down--the Presidents are going to be extremely motivated not to create a precedent by which one group (athletes) gets revenue sharing while another group (non-athlete) does not.

Reaction Score
This just points out it's not the market dictating what students can make. True markets don't care what the fans think. If the government stepped and broke up the NCAA cartel and forced schools to compete for the students labor just like the coaches then we would have a market and the fans sentiments wouldn't matter at all.
If we did that, why in the heck would colleges sponsor pro teams? Let Gatorade or somebody do that. Seriously. That is the problem with the pay the players model. It creates what is effectively a minor league. Even if things like class attendance and grades are marginal now, they become totally irrelevant in that model. When you pay your point guard for playing point guard why would you or he care about whether he attends introduction to Shakespeare? So Cincinnati wants a minor league basketball or football team, they can try and land one. No reason for UC to pay for it. If the problem is coaches are over paid, then stop signing them to crazy contracts. The idea of paying players isn’t a solution to paying too much for your head basketball coach.

Reaction Score
If a scholarship doesn’t provide enough value there is a really easy fix. Dont play basketball or go to the G league or Europe, or Asia or some semi pro league somewhere. Again, last I looked nobody was required to accept a college scholarship to play basketball or football or anything else. Or go to college and become an accountant or a lawyer or a pharmacist or something else. You might have to pay but that’s the way the world works.

Reaction Score
If we did that, why in the heck would colleges sponsor pro teams? Let Gatorade or somebody do that. Seriously. That is the problem with the pay the players model. It creates what is effectively a minor league. Even if things like class attendance and grades are marginal now, they become totally irrelevant in that model. When you pay your point guard for playing point guard why would you or he care about whether he attends introduction to Shakespeare? So Cincinnati wants a minor league basketball or football team, they can try and land one. No reason for UC to pay for it. If the problem is coaches are over paid, then stop signing them to crazy contracts. The idea of paying players isn’t a solution to paying too much for your head basketball coach.

You're not going to believe this, but college sports is already a minor league with schools attached and people love it. Virtually no fans care if their players go to class.

Alumni and local people care about players affiliated with their college team for the same reason people root almost exclusively for local pro teams. It's about the community and shared experience of the fans, nothing to do with the character or nature of the players.

There are tons of reasons for UC to pay for it, which is why they do it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@Bearcat, schools do compete for "labor", it's called recruiting.

Reaction Score
You're not going to believe this, but college sports is already a minor league with schools attached and people love it. Virtually no fans care if their players go to class.

Alumni and local people care about players affiliated with their college team for the same reason people root almost exclusively for local pro teams. It's about the community and shared experience of the fans, nothing to do with the character or nature of the players.

There are tons of reasons for UC to pay for it, which is why they do it.
None of those things will really apply if it is the local version of she XFL or the G League though. I agree that the original intent of college sports has been largely lost but creating a system of minor league teams just doesn’t make any sense. Especially minor leagues associated with colleges. The connection won’t make any sense to fans. Attendance is falling across college sports. Turn them into minor leagues and it will plummet. Because your competition is no longer Ohio State if you are Cincinatti. It is the Bengals. And you are screwed. Same with Ohio State btw. Michigan isn’t the competition. Cleveland is. And you are way lower on the food chain.

Reaction Score
None of those things will really apply if it is the local version of she XFL or the G League though. I agree that the original intent of college sports has been largely lost but creating a system of minor league teams just doesn’t make any sense. Especially minor leagues associated with colleges. The connection won’t make any sense to fans. Attendance is falling across college sports. Turn them into minor leagues and it will plummet. Because your competition is no longer Ohio State if you are Cincinatti. It is the Bengals. And you are screwed. Same with Ohio State btw. Michigan isn’t the competition. Cleveland is. And you are way lower on the food chain.
You could put a Developmental League team in my small town and I could not care less. I watch for UConn.

Reaction Score

I've never bought that "competing against NFL" stuff. You're already competing against the NFL for eyeballs, attention, energy, $$. But they play on different days, so it's fine, and still will be fine in the future. Plus the NFL likes not having to run a minor league, and it gives a large platform to their players before they enter the league.

You literally don't have to change anything. You don't have to change the name of the league or the composition of the conferences or anything. The fans are already built in. It'll still say UConn on the jersey, people will still be all about it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom