Big East Considering Bubble | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Considering Bubble

Reaction Score
I’m in favor of anything that allows there to be a season, but it is a lot different than the NBA. Guys are getting paid millions in the NBA, these kids are not getting paid, so you can’t ask the same things of them that you would of NBA guys.

college kids have a lot different needs, you couldn’t squeeze a whole conference schedule and tournament within say like a 4-5 week period, it’d be too much. If there’s a way that makes sense and actually looks out for the interest of the players, I’m for it. I like the idea of exploring all options while keeping in mind the differences between NBA players and regular college basketball players.

Reaction Score
Just curious, why? A bubble seems better than nothing
It just isn't the same if it's played in a bubble. College basketball is all about fans and atmospheres of the arenas. Players feed off of that and I think if they play in a bubble you won't see the upsets you normally would.

I get why the NHL and NBA did what they did. They are just trying to finish out the season and crown a champion. But I just can't see leagues having full seasons in a bubble.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, NCAA just asked me to send them $440 for (a chance at) two final four tickets. So they expect a season and a tournament.

Reaction Score
Wonder if there will be any crossover games. East coast teams play each other and Midwest play each other. Meaning UCONN could play Rutgers and UMD while Marquette, Butler, creighton would play some B10 games. Would love to see it
Crossover games would kind of defeat the whole purpose of the bubble.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Just want to take my duly earned credit for starting this idea and obviously, UConn officials were Boneyardin' yesterday and saw my post and now pursuing this brilliant idea with the Big East people.

You are all welcome I've saved UConn basketball this year.

View attachment 57356
You are doing the Lord’s work my friend. Now go get us decent media rights money.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Crossover games would kind of defeat the whole purpose of the bubble.
Unless of course you went with the “overlapping bubble”
1596738917802.jpeg

Reaction Score
Im going to watch UConn basketball no matter what but i don't like the bubble idea. Just doesn't seem right without paying these guys. Javonte Brown Ferguson is 17 years old if im not mistaken? He's not even 18 and we are expecting a group of players, academic advisors, tutors, staff, etc etc to be in a bubble for an extended period of time? I dunno, i'll be happy to watch them regardless of the situation but just don't agree with the bubble. If its not safe to do it, then don't do it at all but don't treat them like professionals if they aren't getting paid.

Different story completely if players and coaches and staff come out and say they embrace it and want to play. I get the flipside of it too that some of these guys need exposure to get drafted/play overseas. Also get that it's a waste of a year for many of these guys. If they come out united to play by any given means then im all for it but i cant imagine 100% compliance across the board in the Big East which poses the question about players opting out. How would that work?

This is the worst possible timing for a global pandemic in regards to UConn basketball. Im so hyped i can't imagine waiting another year especially if that means we lose Tyler Phommachanh, JC, IW, JB, and possibly others.

Reaction Score
This is the worst possible timing for a global pandemic in regards to UConn basketball
i was thinking about that but a canceled season during the ollie tenure would have been worse in the long run. not because it would have deprived us of any immediate success, but because it would have bought him another year during which Hurley could/would have been hired elsewhere. missing this season would stink and delay the rebuild a bit but we're already well on our way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Too bad the primary thing a student athlete does is being a STUDENT. You don't sequester athletes in a bubble away from their college campus for the sake of big money college athletics. Non-starter.

Reaction Score
Too bad the primary thing a student athlete does is being a STUDENT. You don't sequester athletes in a bubble away from their college campus for the sake of big money college athletics. Non-starter.
Ummm, most of the students in the country are in a bubble sequestered away from their peers. Apparently you've been sequestered living under a rock.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Well if you want to prepare them for the NBA bubble not a bad idea. As a fan I would take bubble over no games. I also wonder how the student athletes feel about the concept?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Interesting. Seems to be working for the NBA/WNBA.

I don't understand. It this removing any pretext that these are university students? Who are supposed to have classes? Do we think these players want to spend this time in a bubble with people from other schools?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
not to be a party pooper but i would kill myself if i had to spend even a month trapped between the XL center and a hartford hotel, especially during the winter

not that hartford has the facilities to support an 11 team bubble (need more than one court for starters) but it would be the same unbearable scenario pretty much anywhere outside of an all inclusive place like disney which is unique

Somebody mentioned Mohegan Sun. Not sure how the NCAA would feel about that.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
the vast majority of these kids will never sniff the NBA.
Agreed but the vast majority of them are headed to a profession in basketball, so it is part of their learning experience.

Reaction Score
not to be a party pooper but i would kill myself if i had to spend even a month trapped between the XL center and a hartford hotel, especially during the winter

not that hartford has the facilities to support an 11 team bubble (need more than one court for starters) but it would be the same unbearable scenario pretty much anywhere outside of an all inclusive place like disney which is unique
Just as pure fantasy, Harford could host if you put courts in the convention center. That plus the XL would provide enough space.

Fantasy aside, a college bubble would last 3 days tops before someone was caught sneaking out, or sneaking someone in.

Reaction Score
I think we could see the season delayed till the spring with conference schedules only and a reduced tournament, maybe 48 teams or less.

Reaction Score
I don't understand. It this removing any pretext that these are university students? Who are supposed to have classes? Do we think these players want to spend this time in a bubble with people from other schools?

I'm not being snide, but I think it's only pretext to begin with. I'm not sure the NCAA really thinks of these kids as students, they just know they can't call them employees. I'm sure they'd be fine with having "classes" conducted virtually from the bubble. Seems crazy to me, but it's a business.

Reaction Score
The NHL has had 7,000+ tests since July 26th, with 0 positive cases so it has worked..

Mohegan would be a wise location since they're currently practicing bubble protocol/procedure with boxing, but maybe Providence could serve as a 2nd host option? Or MSG as Subba just mentioned, one of those 3 seem most realistic.

Reaction Score
The players already miss a ton of class and have tutors, etc. It would honestly not be that different academically.

Throw in the virtual aspect of many colleges around the country and there's very little argument against on the academic side.

The social side is another story, but that would be up to the players to weigh the pros and cons of playing vs. social life and decide to opt in. I imagine the overwhelming majority would opt in, as they already sacrifice a lot socially to play (summers on campus, curfews on game nights, etc.), live much of their lives online as it is, and would be able to still interact with teammates and coaches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom