Big East Cancels Non-Conference Fall Schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Cancels Non-Conference Fall Schedule

Reaction Score
Nothing makes sense in Florida which as you probably know is the closest foreign country to the U.S.
California is giving Florida a run for the foreign country championships. Those "ex-Sons of beaches" anyway.... ; )

Reaction Score
ok, I will bite, after the P5 and UConn in the Big East, who the heck else is there to even remotely consider a national contender?

Gonzaga. They did take Stanford to OT last season. :eek:

I think it's hard, and the perspective depends on what exactly you consider a national contender. In my opinion, a team with a chance of making the Sweet 16 would be enough. The usual suspects have quite a bit of a rebuild to do as Drake lost Sara Rhine and Becca Hittner, Princeton waved goodbye to Bella Alarie, South Dakota graduated Madison McKeever and Ciara Duffy, Missouri State graduated Willard. So, with that in mind, I suppose you'd have to look at what remains. I'd say that Gonzaga led by Jill Townsend and the Wirths is probably at the top of the heap of contenders. Then there's some intriguing prospects out there. If Buffalo gets a healthy Summer Hemphill to run along with Dyaisha Fair, I'd expect them to make some noise. Kierstan Bell could help an experienced Florida Gulf Coast if she gets immediate eligibility. Marquette has Jordan King and Selena Lott returning to go with a pretty darn good coach. BYU returns a freshman standout in Shaylee Gonzalez, so they could make some noise behind her return from injury. That's all I can think of right off the top of my head.

Reaction Score
California is giving Florida a run for the foreign country championships. Those "ex-Sons of beaches" anyway.... ; )
So in my county schools were shut down in March for online "learning" and will start on Aug. 10 with more online learning..but wait..now they want to push back the opening date for said online learning..You can't make up the things that happen in Florida....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
ok, I will bite, after the P5 and UConn in the Big East, who the heck else is there to even remotely consider a national contender?
Gonzaga or South Dakota=1/2

Reaction Score
I believe there will be a BB season. Schools are losing to much money from room and board and they have contracts with TV radio etc which pay alot of money to the schools. The schools need the money because they are loosing it by not having students on campus. Doctors, stores, food, drinks, room and board and classes. They need media money. I am confident they will open sports and figure out a way to bring kids back from Sept - Thanksgiving and then something similar after January. I have ideas on how to make it work.
Not a chance.

Reaction Score
So in my county schools were shut down in March for online "learning" and will start on Aug. 10 with more online learning..but wait..now they want to push back the opening date for said online learning..You can't make up the things that happen in Florida....
Yup - Disney World reopening when the new infection rate is higher than it was when they closed. WHAT???? #$&@¥€£§##??

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its a crazy virus. The virus kills a large percentage of people over 60 but very few under the age of 30. Add to that that the flu kills more people under 30 and is also very contagious. There is a flu vaccaine but as many of us know there are many different kinds of flu and the vaccine doesnt work 100%.

I do beleive we have to find a way to get the kids back to school and adults back to work. Working from home works for many but still kids need to grow and mature and not going to school does not accomplish that. With that said kids need to be safe. IMO get the kids back to school IF the virus truly is not as contagious as we origionally thought. If it is a small risk that the kids get it then it is no more contagious then the flu.

[ ]

So I would think that by having the kids back in college away from their parents would be less of a risk of the parents contacting the virus from their kids. The parents could be more safe. If the kids contact the virus in college then they will be treated and released. The question is can the kids tranmit it to their friends like the flu? If its not a matter of everybody dying then I say start school. Kids get sick all the time. Kids get the flu. If for kids this is no more dangerous then the flu then open classes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Assuming they even play, what a nightmare for the oft-national champion UConn field hockey team. Temple, Providence and Quinnipiac four times each!

Ugly.

Reaction Score
I understand newly graduated attorneys are having trouble finding work. If these schools try to have a season of any kind and it goes south, all these new attorneys may have something to do, so there is that...

Reaction Score
Keep the faith Boneyarders. The ladies will be here next year and, hopefully, so will we. If they can get a few games in I think that would make everyone happy. It's a big boat and we are all rowing in it together, the schools, the conferences. I think that if just one team in on of the Power 5 conferences decides to cancel the season the rest will fall like chips on the table. No game is worth putting any athlete at risk no matter what impact it has on the school's bank account.

Reaction Score
Its a crazy virus. The virus kills a large percentage of people over 60 but very few under the age of 30. Add to that that the flu kills more people under 30 and is also very contagious. There is a flu vaccaine but as many of us know there are many different kinds of flu and the vaccine doesnt work 100%.

I do beleive we have to find a way to get the kids back to school and adults back to work. Working from home works for many but still kids need to grow and mature and not going to school does not accomplish that. With that said kids need to be safe. IMO get the kids back to school IF the virus truly is not as contagious as we origionally thought. If it is a small risk that the kids get it then it is no more contagious then the flu.

[ ]

So I would think that by having the kids back in college away from their parents would be less of a risk of the parents contacting the virus from their kids. The parents could be more safe. If the kids contact the virus in college then they will be treated and released. The question is can the kids tranmit it to their friends like the flu? If its not a matter of everybody dying then I say start school. Kids get sick all the time. Kids get the flu. If for kids this is no more dangerous then the flu then open classes.
About as dangerous a take on this whole issue as I've encountered. A lot of misinformation and ill informed assumptions here the kind of which have led to states like Florida, Georgia, Texas and Arizona to have skyrocketing infection rates and out of control hospitalizations.

Wishing and hoping that it goes away is not what's needed now. Solid planning and prevention is the only thing that will keep this fall and winter from making this past spring seem like only a preliminary event.

Nobody wants the virus to continue to ravage the population. Nobody wants to believe that infected youth might suffer long term effects from this infection. Nobody wants to see the economy grind to a halt. But failing to recognize the seriousness of this issue will only guarantee that the disease will continue to build momentum and continue to spiral out of control.

Individuals can make political, social and economic comments, and many of us may disagree, but in the end covid is not not paying attention to us. It continues to spread where it is given an opportunity and it never sleeps or takes a day off.

If covid was the name of an armed enemy attacking our shores we would all stand together ready to fight. But a virus is more insidious than that. It is silent. It is invisible and because of this some want to believe it doesn't exist, some want to believe it is not really a serious problem and some want to believe that it will just go away.

And covid just keeps marching on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Keep the faith Boneyarders. The ladies will be here next year and, hopefully, so will we. If they can get a few games in I think that would make everyone happy. It's a big boat and we are all rowing in it together, the schools, the conferences. I think that if just one team in on of the Power 5 conferences decides to cancel the season the rest will fall like chips on the table. No game is worth putting any athlete at risk no matter what impact it has on the school's bank account.
I am working on a research review [non-political and peer-reviewed at original researcher level] of the SARS, MERS, and CoViD 19, and hope to post the "Reader's Digest" version by Monday. The current trend is in the 39 and below age groups for positive tests, with very low hospitalization rates, and even lower ICU/ventilator requirements. As Steelerone says, "Keep the faith" and I add have no fear [as fear is an immune system depressant mechanism], and there is promising new treatments for advanced cases {I plan on sharing on Monday] that bring people back out of the ventilators. Death rates continue to decline.

Stay healthy, my friends!

Bottom line: Do NOT believe those who are intent on spreading hysteria!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Gonzaga or South Dakota=1/2
Umm, I am not trying to quibble here but NO WAY. None of their history suggests they are a contender for a National Title having to go through Multiple top 20 teams. Coming close against a "Stanford" in a regular season game does not make you NC material. Plus, we are talking about "regularity" not one-time scenarios.

Gonzago and SD are really good programs, just not worthy of top 16 consideration on an annual basis. Let's also be realistic that you really need to be Top 8 ranked to warrant the NC discussion. Only twice have programs outside of the Top 10 ranking won a NCAAT- NC in 1994 and Tennessee in 1997 (they were #3 seeds in the 9-12 range). Those are/were regular Blue Blood teams. Gonzago and SD are not regular/perennial top 20 teams. So I politely reject the 1/2 scenario as not plausible. No disrespect meant, just logic of history and non-parity.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Umm, I am not trying to quibble here but NO WAY. None of their history suggests they are a contender for a National Title having to go through Multiple top 20 teams. Coming close against a "Stanford" in a regular season game does not make you NC material. Plus, we are talking about "regularity" not one-time scenarios.
Gonzago and SD are really good programs, just not worthy of top 16 consideration on an annual basis. Let's also be realistic that you really need to be Top 8 ranked to warrant the NC discussion. Only twice have programs outside of the Top 10 ranking won a NCAAT- NC in 1994 and Tennessee in 1997 (they were #3 seeds in the 9-12 range). Those are/were regular Blue Blood teams. Gonzago and SD are not regular/perennial top 20 teams. So I politely reject the 1/2 scenario as not plausible. No disrespect meant, just logic of history and non-parity.
You probably over thought this. The .5 was intended to represent the cumulative historical runs in the tournaments and regular seasons of the past. Runs like Buffalo & Quinnipiac had recently and Albany or Marist, or Xavier had not too long ago. Even if the field were 16 teams you would still have to account for a team like the undefeated season Princeton had a few years back. IDK seems like a team like DePaul has regularlyy been ranked in that 15-20 range for a few years now.

Reaction Score
Does this affect the Hall of Fame game, I.e., the MSST matchup.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
If they figured out a way to re-open Disney theme parks can't they figure out a way to play sports..lol

Like others have stated, I think the jury is out. I can think of dozens of examples of individual factories that opened to great fanfare and then were re-shuttered within weeks as employees were diagnosed with COVID.

Reaction Score
I will say the same thing about baseball not finishing....I am a Yankee fan and couldn't wait for this season (before Covid19 hit)

They might be starting their little 60 game schedule up next week....But I don't think they will finish it.....Already numerous players have contacted the virus including two of the Yankees best players.....

I also can't get into watching baseball or Uconn basketball with no fans in the arena....

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Like others have stated, I think the jury is out. I can think of dozens of examples of individual factories that opened to great fanfare and then were re-shuttered within weeks as employees were diagnosed with COVID.

And there is another side to that coin as well. I run a small plastic molding/manufacturing shop. We serve a sector of the construction industry, waste water control, and are considered "essential". We have remained open continuously thru out the pandemic. We have used masks, and distancing and disinfecting wipes from day one.

I have 50 full time employees. Not one employee has missed a single day due to Covid infection.

Now some of this I am sure is a bit of luck, but frankly, I am stunned. But it does say a lot about the efficacy of the prevention guides.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Most posters are talking about the issues as they relate to the students and that is certainly extremely important - they are our future :), but when you look at a university environment, or just limit it to a collegiate athlete environment the age range of contacts is greatly expanded. I doubt there are any age stats available, but it expands from 18-22 yr olds, to coaches who occupy some space between 22-75 yrs old, trainers, team doctors, referees, facilities staff, cleaning staff, broadcasting staff, sports administration, travel personnel, etc all will have both wide age ranges and general health statuses. And the university environment adds in professors, tutors, administrators, custodial staff, security staff, housing staff, etc. will have a whole new set of ranges. So the process of fielding a university team is not just about 18-22 yr olds in good health.

It becomes about the whole community, and with sports teams it is not even just the local community but a intermingling of the communities of every location where the team plays, and every location where the opponent has played. And those various communities will all have very different rules in place and very different profiles for how this virus has behaved within that locale. And those parameters will be in a constant state of flux. Look around the country, region, and even different counties within a state, and you see a wide range of current conditions and a constantly evolving situation in every locale, as well as widely different demographics. Tolland County (Storrs) is a very different situation from Hartford County (Civic Center), is a very different situation from New London county (Mohegan Sun), is a very different situation from Fairfax county (Bridgeport) all location Uconn has played games in CT.

I live in Storrs myself and am actually pretty terrified about what the community will look like when there are 20,000 students returning for classes in August and added into the currently pretty sparsely populated town. And I am retire and venture into public only once or twice a week at this point - couldn't imagine if I had to work on campus or in town 8 hours a day 5 days a week with a bunch of young adults who feel pretty invincible because it only affects 'old sick folks.'

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Unless we see dramatic changes in how this virus is handled I dont think we have a WBB, or MBB, season for awhile.
Right now it has to be in a bubble situation, which is why I am uncertain how MLB will make it. In the NBA, WNBA and NHL there will be bubble locations, with only negative tested players, officials, coaches, non playing team personal and broadcasting/media are allowed in and not out until its over. We cant do that with college sports as the student athletes need to return to school, where the professionals do not, and there is constant travel involved. I dont see students staying in hotels for months and doing on line classes only.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom