Big 12 Regular Season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Regular Season

Reaction Score
Unless it was a stupid ballot mistake, that's quite a petty sub for Harmon. I can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to believe she isn't first team. How could you fill out a ballot that said "Check the box by the ten best players in the league" and not check the box for Harmon?
Only a guess, but maybe the fact she was injured for the early portion of the season.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Only a guess, but maybe the fact she was injured for the early portion of the season.
That was the beginning of the regular season where she missed the first 5 games. These awards are to be based solely on conference play (as far as I know) ,and she started all 18 conference games where she averaged more than 38 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
So, semi-finals are:

Texas (NET 11) vs. Okie St ( NET 47)

Iowa State (NET 14) vs Okie (NET 36)

Oklahoma is severely underhanded by the NET considering that they have a Quad Ine minus losses record of 7-5 which is the 12th best of all teams.

Reaction Score
I expected a tight game in the Baylor/Iowa St game. What I never saw coming was Iowa St winning the rebound margin 54-29
For whatever reason, the ESPN+ feature on my end, was horrible. I will have to check and see if the game is on YouTube or On Demand. Shocking that Iowa State out rebounded Baylor. Yikes!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Through 3 sessions, the Big 12 is averaging 4,801 fans per game, which is 5th of the 6 P6 conferences. However, that 4,801 per game average is the second highest in tournament history (2014-4,877) and significantly higher than 2022 of 4,083 and 3,365 in 2019.

So the real good news is the trend for Women's College Basketball attendance could and probably will set an all-time attendance record this year.

But before some zealots get carried away with the "see, women's sports are as worthy as men", keep in mind the 6,229 P6 session average for the P6 pales to the P6 Men's average 15,502 with all the finals and some semifinals to occur today and tomorrow which should boost those numbers. A great improvement but I am not even including the TV ratings which are also heavily skewed towards the men.

Reaction Score
Through 3 sessions, the Big 12 is averaging 4,801 fans per game, which is 5th of the 6 P6 conferences. However, that 4,801 per game average is the second highest in tournament history (2014-4,877) and significantly higher than 2022 of 4,083 and 3,365 in 2019.

So the real good news is the trend for Women's College Basketball attendance could and probably will set an all-time attendance record this year.

But before some zealots get carried away with the "see, women's sports are as worthy as men", keep in mind the 6,229 P6 session average for the P6 pales to the P6 Men's average 15,502 with all the finals and some semifinals to occur today and tomorrow which should boost those numbers. A great improvement but I am not even including the TV ratings which are also heavily skewed towards the men.

TV ratings are killing last year’s across the board and looks like it will be the best in a decade - big ten and Iowa are super strong (Behind Scar and UConn ). PAC sucking wind due to timing an PAC Network issues. Big 12 has network affiliation issues as well. Not so sure Saturday games are working out well.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I have been running all the tournament host sites and regional data and all the numbers are up. The midwest and West Coast are two regions that struggle with the Regional attendance and is why the NCAA is trying a two site location this year. The West Coast did extremely well with Oregon in 2019 but other than that, it has not performed well. The two big drivers are UConn and SC and whether they are close enough to their locations.

For as much as the ACC brethren likes to tout themselves as being the pre-eminent basketball region, their attendance figures for Men's and Women's are rather weak compared to the other P6 conferences. The Women are 4th of 6 while the Men are 5th of 6.

The Big East was 3rd in Women, 1st in Men; The SEC was 1st in Women and 4th in Men.

Reaction Score
She played her average 26 minutes but OU went down. ISU is one of those frustrating teams that blows hot and cold depending on jump shooting. They were hot today.
Well said about Iowa State. They are an interesting team.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
She played her average 26 minutes but OU went down. ISU is one of those frustrating teams that blows hot and cold depending on jump shooting. They were hot today.
I like that the Cyclones were hot today. Increases the probability that they won't bet hot tomorrow against Texas! :D

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
At least we can stop talking about how Oklahoma is underrated. They have two good wins total all season and they were 2- and 3-point squeakers, one in OT.

Reaction Score
At least we can stop talking about how Oklahoma is underrated. They have two good wins total all season and they were 2- and 3-point squeakers, one in OT.
And yet, they were regular season co-champs with Texas and have more Quad One wins than losses. Only about 16 teams can claim the latter. At 36, they are underrated.

Not all regular season champs win their conference tournament. Right? They even lose before the championship game sometimes. Right?

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
And yet, they were regular season co-champs with Texas and have more Quad One wins than losses. Only about 16 teams can claim the latter. At 36, they are underrated.

Not all regular season champs win their conference tournament. Right? They even lose before the championship game sometimes. Right?
Yes, and to put a point on it, most people have been saying Stanford has been overrated, too.

Reaction Score
Ashley Joens is hooping right now. Regardless if they win or lose I'm a new fan. Sometimes when she shoots 7-23, I'm a bit disappointed or unimpressed but she's great for sure. Completely dominating the game, bringing the ball up the court, doing everything. Someone in the Texas media was mad she won player of the year and said it was a lifetime achievement award. That's bogus. This tournament, once again regardless if they win or lose, kinda shows y she won it.

Last edited:

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Congrats to Iowa St on winning their first Big 12 tournament title in what 20+ years?
They should send Kim a fruit basket for leaving Baylor for making it possible.

On a serious note, good for them!

Reaction Score
Congrats to Iowa St on winning their first Big 12 tournament title in what 20+ years?

Bill Fennelly's been coaching ISU for over 25 years but has won the regular title only once, a tie in 1999-2000 and the tournament not since 2001. Two Elite Eights and four Sweet Sixteens during his time but the league play was dominated by Sherri Coale's Sooners and than Kim Mulkey's Bears the last 20 years. Same on the men's side, regular season champs in 2000 & 2001 but none since although a handful of Big 12 tourney wins and some good NCAA runs.

Going to be a different league on the WBB side after 2024. Outside of Baylor, whose future is up in the air same, ISU has been the most consistent of the remaining and new teams. "New" Big 12 will still be a MBB power but I am pessimistic on the WBB side. For 2023-24 Texas will probably be the fav, maybe KSU making a run if Lee comes back close to 100%. Hoping she is more 100% than she has been the prior season when you could tell her knee was never quite right.

Doesn't include this season but you can see (at least by past performance) how much the league was dominated by Bears and Sooners.

1678731494750.png

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Bill Fennelly's been coaching ISU for over 25 years but has won the regular title only once, a tie in 1999-2000 and the tournament not since 2001. Two Elite Eights and four Sweet Sixteens during his time but the league play was dominated by Sherri Coale's Sooners and than Kim Mulkey's Bears the last 20 years. Same on the men's side, regular season champs in 2000 & 2001 but none since although a handful of Big 12 tourney wins and some good NCAA runs.

Going to be a different league on the WBB side after 2024. Outside of Baylor, whose future is up in the air same, ISU has been the most consistent of the remaining and new teams. "New" Big 12 will still be a MBB power but I am pessimistic on the WBB side. For 2023-24 Texas will probably be the fav, maybe KSU making a run if Lee comes back close to 100%. Hoping she is more 100% than she has been the prior season when you could tell her knee was never quite right.

Doesn't include this season but you can see (at least by past performance) how much the league was dominated by Bears and Sooners.

View attachment 85067
Thanks! The eye-popping one to me is Texas - only 2 regular seasons and 1 tournament title with all the talent Karen Aston assembled? Yowsers. And the worst part is even those titles were confined to a two-year stretch of the Conradt ever. If there's any program that's underperformed in the Big 12, it's UT.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks! The eye-popping one to me is Texas - only 2 regular seasons and 1 tournament title with all the talent Karen Aston assembled? Yowsers. And the worst part is even those titles were confined to a two-year stretch of the Conradt ever. If there's any program that's underperformed in the Big 12, it's UT.
Baylor and Kim were pretty dominant during her 8 year stint both in talent and performance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom