Big 12 formal vote possible next week-Houston Chronicle | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12 formal vote possible next week-Houston Chronicle

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
If Houston, Cincinnati, BC, Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech (they have zero championships!) can all make it to the P5 and people think we'll never be accepted, I'm beginning to think there's serious emotional issues abound here.

We weren't ready. That's all. Did you see our baseball field in 2014? The fact we were "penned" in with that horrible stadium speaks volumes. I am sure Jurich used J O Christian Field against us when speaking to ACC presidents and ADs.

Edit: Even UCF is in the friggin P5 now.
No one cares about overall championships and no one cares about baseball. Baseball is nothing in realignment. UConn fans like to talk about academic ranking vs places like Houston and Louisville. No one cares! Clearly. We are one of the few schools left out of the P5. Even cincy, Houston and UCF are laughing at us. We are irrelevant. Basketball will now fade over the next decade or so. If Hurley is successful, we cannot pay him enough to stay compared to P5 salaries. We are now part of the stepping-stone category. It’s really quite tragic. I did not think, in 2016, that if realignment were to become an issue again in 2021, that our name would not have even been brought up as a top—12 contender. It’s just so sad. What a fall from grace. I never thought we would be here in my lifetime.

Reaction Score
No one cares about overall championships and no one cares about baseball. Baseball is nothing in realignment. UConn fans like to talk about academic ranking vs places like Houston and Louisville. No one cares! Clearly. We are one of the few schools left out of the P5. Even cincy, Houston and UCF are laughing at us. We are irrelevant. Basketball will now fade over the next decade or so. If Hurley is successful, we cannot pay him enough to stay compared to P5 salaries. We are now part of the stepping-stone category. It’s really quite tragic. I did not think, in 2016, that if realignment were to become an issue again in 2021, that our name would not have even been brought up as a top—12 contender. It’s just so sad. What a fall from grace. I never thought we would be here in my lifetime.
There's a wise saying, what you see in others is a reflection of yourself.

Just do a little thinking. UCF and Cincinnati got invites. Cincinnati football used to suck in C-USA. Do you remember those days? They still can't even play a close game with Ohio State. My parents are older than UCF. If anything, that should tell you we will be invited one day, as well. I don't even look forward to that day, because then snobbery will go through the roof.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even though UCONN might not be the best fit for the B12, it does suck that UCONN wasn't even discussed as a potential candidate. The only thing that can make all the UCONN fans feel better is if UCONN football actually win some games, and get a nice media contract soon for FB only.
hopefully they actually win some games someday

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
There's a wise saying, what you see in others is a reflection of yourself.

Just do a little thinking. UCF and Cincinnati got invites. Cincinnati football used to suck in C-USA. Do you remember those days? They still can't even play a close game with Ohio State. My parents are older than UCF. If anything, that should tell you we will be invited one day, as well. I don't even look forward to that day, because then snobbery will go through the roof.
I do remember those days. The age of UCF with respect to your parents’ age is of no consequence here. The landscape is very different now - not even comparable for so many reasons. We may never be invited, or maybe we will. No one knows. In my opinion, it’s not going to happen as the divide continues to grow, as it has significantly widened over even the last decade. We are in a hole that I do not believe we have the ability to climb out of without money and a strong conference affiliation. Put UConn in a P5 and we would do very well - no doubt in my mind.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hoops does not dictate the future. I wish it did. Our football team is pulling down the rest of the university. We missed the last train. Our basketball team is going to suffer greatly as these schools continue to accrue money and exposure via conference payments and NIL. We are going to be left with nothing. The train has left the station. The discrepancy we have seen over the last 10 years is about to get so much worse. Shortsighted move on our part. I was a believer in the big East move until several weeks ago. Look at other message boards and articles out there - UConn is now synonymous with complete and utter alignment failure. If you consider our current situation a success, you have low standards.
For what it’s worth the Rutgers athletic department has bigger operating deficits now than before they joined the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
Yup and will still be a P5 conference. We lost out on another opportunity. It’s said that in 2016 we were a contender, and now in 2021 we weren’t even considered and didn’t even propose a plan to join. My how far we’ve fallen. People claim that basketball is fine, but that is not the case going forward.
Big 12 isn't s^^t now, they will fold up soon enough.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth the Rutgers athletic department has bigger operating deficits now than before they joined the Big Ten.
Yeah I’m not sure what to make of that to be honest. I know others here have stated those numbers can be a bit of a game to make look a certain way if it benefits the university, as some have suggested with UConn in the past. I’m not privy to any of that information and certainly not qualified to make any meaningful statements regarding its relevance.

Reaction Score
Reading some of the details of the Rutger's situation, i'm not sure they even know where they are at. #cluster.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah I’m not sure what to make of that to be honest. I know others here have stated those numbers can be a bit of a game to make look a certain way if it benefits the university, as some have suggested with UConn in the past. I’m not privy to any of that information and certainly not qualified to make any meaningful statements regarding its relevance.
It just shocked the heck out of me. There deficit is higher than ours and that is after being a part of the highest paying conference in America. Leave it to Rutgers to Rutger being a Big 10 member.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is another in a long series of head scratching decisions by ESPN. ESPN and the SEC raided the Big 12, and which I guess helps ESPN because the Big 12 was primarily a Fox network. But for that raid to really be successful, ESPN needed to finish the Big 12 off by helping the AAC raid them. It would have only taken 2-3 teams to end the Big 12, depriving Fox of a lot of content. Instead, ESPN is standing on the sideline

Instead, ESPN has sat on the sidelines, letting the Big 12 gut the AAC. UCF, Cincinnati and Navy will be gone, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Temple go football independent and join the A10 rather than destroy its hoop program in whatever the AAC becomes. On top of that, the Big 12 is much more likely to sign with Fox and any other network after what ESPN did to it.

Why did ESPN bother with the raid? ESPN needs a lot of content, and at the end of this raid, it will have increased the cost of a regional league in the SEC while crushing the value of its filler content (the AAC) and driving off a borderline P5 league (the Big 12).

Reaction Score
I'm numb to UConn conference realignment talk. First need to get our football house in order.

Furthermore, Big 10 and ACC has not really done any wonders for the athletic programs of the likes of BC, Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, etc., and we've gone on to qualify for NCAA tournaments and win National Titles across sports, so the initial envy of them getting into a P5 has also dissipated.

Reaction Score
Where will UCF park its Men's Soccer team, is the burning question. Will it be able to remain in the AAC as soccer only to keep that conference alive with 6 programs, join the MAC with WVU, join another conference? I'm not sure they thought this move through. ;)

Reaction Score
Where will UCF park its Men's Soccer team, is the burning question. Will it be able to remain in the AAC as soccer only to keep that conference alive with 6 programs, join the MAC with WVU, join another conference? I'm not sure they thought this move through. ;)
WVU is leaving the MAC. With florida soccer schools, FIU and FAU also in C-USA that would seem to be the move for UCF too. C-USA only has 9 right now including.... affiliate members Coastal Carolina, Kentucky, and South Carolina...and if they lose a couple to the AAC..........

Last edited:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
This is another in a long series of head scratching decisions by ESPN. ESPN and the SEC raided the Big 12, and which I guess helps ESPN because the Big 12 was primarily a Fox network. But for that raid to really be successful, ESPN needed to finish the Big 12 off by helping the AAC raid them. It would have only taken 2-3 teams to end the Big 12, depriving Fox of a lot of content. Instead, ESPN is standing on the sideline

Instead, ESPN has sat on the sidelines, letting the Big 12 gut the AAC. UCF, Cincinnati and Navy will be gone, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Temple go football independent and join the A10 rather than destroy its hoop program in whatever the AAC becomes. On top of that, the Big 12 is much more likely to sign with Fox and any other network after what ESPN did to it.

Why did ESPN bother with the raid? ESPN needs a lot of content, and at the end of this raid, it will have increased the cost of a regional league in the SEC while crushing the value of its filler content (the AAC) and driving off a borderline P5 league (the Big 12).

Here’s your answer:
Before re-alignment
SEC + B12 + AAC = Total Cost
$$$$ + $$$ + $ = $,$$$,$$$.

After re-alignment
$$$$$ + $ + .cc = $$$,$$$.cc

Doesn't matter where filler comes from MAC, Mountain West, Indie. All but the elite have been devalued in cost.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Here’s your answer:
Before re-alignment
$$$$ + $$$ + $ = $,$$$,$$$.

After re-alignment
$$$$$ + $ + .cc = $$$,$$$.cc

Doesn't matter where filler comes from MAC, Mountain West, Indie. All but the elite have been devalued in cost.

That analysis is wrong. The SEC is not going to be worth that much more with Oklahoma and Texas than it was before those schools joined, and it is possible that there is little incremental bump at all to ESPN. There will be a bump to the SEC though, which ESPN will have to pay. ESPN will probably lose content with the Big 12 in the next TV deal after this stunt. And the AAC has been completely devalued to the point that it is probably not worth putting on the air. ESPN will have to find another sport.

20 years ago, ESPN had the ACC, SEC, Big East, the Big 12, half the Big 10 and half the Pac 12, for all sports, and the most expensive leagues cost about $10 million a team while the Big East was around $5 if I remember correctly. Then ESPN set in motion conference realignment. By 2025, they will have the ACC, SEC, and a few games from the Big 10 and Pac 12, plus maybe a few games from the Big 12. ESPN has essentially lost basketball in the northeast and midwest, where it is most popular, and the west coast. For that limited content, which is virtually all regional, ESPN pays the ACC over $30MM a team and the SEC over $50MM a team, and now they have to find additional filler content or broadcast G5 games to 10k people.

I would say ESPN has blown it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom