Big 12 formal vote possible next week-Houston Chronicle | The Boneyard

Big 12 formal vote possible next week-Houston Chronicle

Reaction Score
Even though UCONN might not be the best fit for the B12, it does suck that UCONN wasn't even discussed as a potential candidate. The only thing that can make all the UCONN fans feel better is if UCONN football actually win some games, and get a nice media contract soon for FB only.

Reaction Score

-> Less than six weeks after Texas and Oklahoma announced their impending departure to the SEC, the league is poised to add four new members in a process that could culminate in one week’s time. UCF, Houston, BYU and Cincinnati are expected to apply for Big 12 membership next week and then could be approved for admission in a meeting of Big 12 presidents Sept. 10, multiple sources tell Sports Illustrated.

The league has the eight votes needed for expansion. <-

-> UCF, Houston and Cincinnati, the three American Athletic Conference members, are required to give 27-month notice to their league and pay a $10 million exit penalty. In the current timeline, the teams would give a 23-month notice and likely pay an increased exit fee. BYU is not a member of a conference in football, but must give the West Coast Conference notice for its other sports leaving the league.

The four new members are not expected to immediately get full distribution shares. However, their first-year shares in the Big 12 are expected to double if not triple their American distribution, which is around $6 million or $7 million. <-

Reaction Score
I'm so looking forward to the new East Coast Football Conference with UMass/UConn/Temple/Army/Navy/ECU and USF. All schools are within driving/flying distance. One time zone. No conference championship so there wouldn't be a conflict with Army/Navy. Would give every school 6 conference games and the ability to schedule 5 OOC.

Reaction Score
Independence is better. But this new Big 12 will remain plenty strong. Can be the third best P5 conference at times.

I still can't believe Joseph Smith succeeded.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
I'm so looking forward to the new East Coast Football Conference with UMass/UConn/Temple/Army/Navy/ECU and USF. All schools are within driving/flying distance. One time zone. No conference championship so there wouldn't be a conflict with Army/Navy. Would give every school 6 conference games and the ability to schedule 5 OOC.
This is garbage. We had it better in the AAC.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Independence is better. But this new Big 12 will remain plenty strong. Can be the third best P5 conference at times.

I still can't believe Joseph Smith succeeded.
Yup and will still be a P5 conference. We lost out on another opportunity. It’s said that in 2016 we were a contender, and now in 2021 we weren’t even considered and didn’t even propose a plan to join. My how far we’ve fallen. People claim that basketball is fine, but that is not the case going forward.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Yup and will still be a P5 conference. We lost out on another opportunity. It’s said that in 2016 we were a contender, and now in 2021 we weren’t even considered and didn’t even propose a plan to join. My how far we’ve fallen. People claim that basketball is fine, but that is not the case going forward.
We wouldn't have been invited this time around because we are too far away geographically. If we were still in the AAC, the same four schools would be getting selected right now.

Reaction Score
If Houston, Cincinnati, BC, Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech (they have zero championships!) can all make it to the P5 and people think we'll never be accepted, I'm beginning to think there's serious emotional issues abound here.

We weren't ready. That's all. Did you see our baseball field in 2014? The fact we were "penned" in with that horrible stadium speaks volumes. I am sure Jurich used J O Christian Field against us when speaking to ACC presidents and ADs.

Edit: Even UCF is in the friggin P5 now.

Last edited:

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
We wouldn't have been invited this time around because we are too far away geographically. If we were still in the AAC, the same four schools would be getting selected right now.
We weren’t even in the conversation this time. We were last time. This is all speculation on your part.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Seriously? Tulsa, Tulane? That really helped come hoops time. I'd much rather see these schools come to town then those schools.
Hoops does not dictate the future. I wish it did. Our football team is pulling down the rest of the university. We missed the last train. Our basketball team is going to suffer greatly as these schools continue to accrue money and exposure via conference payments and NIL. We are going to be left with nothing. The train has left the station. The discrepancy we have seen over the last 10 years is about to get so much worse. Shortsighted move on our part. I was a believer in the big East move until several weeks ago. Look at other message boards and articles out there - UConn is now synonymous with complete and utter alignment failure. If you consider our current situation a success, you have low standards.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We weren’t even in the conversation this time. We were last time. This is all speculation on your part.
Who are we getting in over? BYU? They are a national football brand. Cincy? They have been consistent in both football and basketball and are close to WVU. UCF? We can't compete with the Florida recruiting market. Houston? They're in Texas. They're needed for recruiting.

5 years ago I believe we were #4 in line ahead of UCF and USF and behind BYU, Cincy, and Houston. UCF passed us with their performance on the field in football the last 5 years.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Who are we getting in over? BYU? They are a national football brand. Cincy? They have been consistent in both football and basketball and are close to WVU. UCF? We can't compete with the Florida recruiting market. Houston? They're in Texas. They're needed for recruiting.

5 years ago I believe we were #4 in line ahead of UCF and USF and behind BYU, Cincy, and Houston. UCF passed us with their performance on the field in football the last 5 years.
We aren’t getting in over anyone. Herein lies the problem. My point exactly. Four years ago, we were in the mix. We aren’t anymore. What happened? These other schools accomplished things, we dropped the ball while people here had blind faith in RE 2.0 after be hosed us years ago. You even said it yourself, four years ago we were ahead of ucf. We aren’t even in the top 12 now. We are screwed. This is UConn’s fault. We knew what we had to do and we chose RE 2.0 because he was cheap. But we knew what we were getting…absolutely nothing. Ship has sailed. That’s game. It’s over. Really quite sad. This “Indy” league is a joke. It is irrelevant. For the first time in my life as a UConn fan, I agree that it is time to get rid of football. We have failed the students, alumnae, fans and the state of CT to the point of national embarrassment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom