OT: - Big 10 to officially cancel football season tomorrow | The Boneyard

OT: Big 10 to officially cancel football season tomorrow

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Various news reports indicate that the Big 10 will officially cancel fall football tomorrow. It has been reported that 12 of 14 Big 10 College Presidents voted to cancel the season with only Nebraska & Iowa opting to continue. It is anticipated that the Pac-12 will also make a similar announcement. No word yet from the Big-12, ACC or SEC.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the total cost of that will be, not only to the schools but also to the media and the local economies of towns like Columbus and Ann Arbor.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wow, a logical decision is being made by a Power 5 conference? Shocked, I say, Shocked.
1597079907146.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wonder what the total cost of that will be, not only to the schools but also to the media and the local economies of towns like Columbus and Ann Arbor.
Lots of $$$. But I think one of the elements that really began to hit home in the last week or so, was players and their families pushing back against schools, by demanding more structured protocols, particularly in light of a growing concern that even top flight athletes who might be asymptomatic, could end up with long lasting health problems, specifically myocarditis (scar tissue of the heart).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Lots of $$$. But I think one of the elements that really began to hit home in the last week or so, was players and their families pushing back against schools, by demanding more structured protocols, particularly in light of a growing concern that even top flight athletes who might be asymptomatic, could end up with long lasting health problems, specifically myocarditis (scar tissue of the heart).

That's right!!! Thought for the day: "RESPECT THE RONA." ;)

Reaction Score
If the play the season early next year it might work out. I don't know how football would work for either the players or the fans if it were played in hot weather. They probable would have less worry from the virus than they would for heat stroke playing in all that gear in warm weather.

Reaction Score
I think Columbus will be fine. It's a pretty large city now like Austin, Texas. Ann Arbor is another story.

Reaction Score
When the PAC-12 follows suit and cancels football season, sadly it will likely go unnoticed in Boulder....

Reaction Score
I heard the number 4 billion dollars of lost revenues (all schools combined) but nothing that estimated the economic impact on the communities.

Reaction Score
Wow that's huge. I thought there was zero chance they would cancel the season. Figured they'd find some way to play.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

Up until my retirement last month, I was in charge of solid and hazardous waste collection programs for Washtenaw County where Ann Arbor is located. We never ever scheduled community clean up events on Saturdays when there were home football games.

They have crammed over 115,000 people into Michigan Stadium for “big” games - that’s close to the population for Hartford. The impact on I94 traffic for hours before and after home games is intense. I didn’t want to have either our residents or my vendors deal with it.

The financial impact locally will be severe I think. One group that will really take it on the chin, unfortunately, are the dozens of churches, scouting groups and nonprofit organizations that make up the bulk of the food and beverage vending staff inside the stadium and who rely on this income for their programming.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Whether or not P-5 schools play football is one question, but if fans are not allowed to watch, even if teams do play, the financial impact on college towns is already set in stone.

Reaction Score
My question is what are the requisites to bring college sports back?

I hope they are not waiting on a vaccine!

Fauci has said he was hopeful that a coronavirus vaccine could be developed by early 2021, but has previously said it’s unlikely that a vaccine will deliver 100% immunity; he said the best realistic outcome, based on other vaccines, would be 70% to 75% effective. The measles vaccine, he said, is among the most effective by providing 97% immunity.

Will the schools say that 3/10 or 1/4 of athletes is an acceptable contagein rate to start play?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Wow, a logical decision is being made by a Power 5 conference? Shocked, I say, Shocked.
View attachment 57504

I was going to post something along the same lines. They're putting such a high price on human lives!

There are a LOT of smart people at P5 universities and medical schools. I was wondering whether the powers-that-be would consult them, and it seems they did. Kudos.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
When the Ivies and MAC cancelled fall sports, most people (not all) accpted that
it was for the health of the players, coaches, and staff, because the $$ involved were relatively small. Now that a P5 conference is doing the same, and the economic impact is obviously a big deal, it is hard to argue that this is not for the health and well-being of the players and those around them.

The presidents of Michigan and Michigan State are both physicians.

[ ]

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The Mountain West has just announced they will cancel all fall sports, thereby joining the MAC as the second FBS conference to cancel their fall football season.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Details of the MW cancellation:

Reaction Score
When do they start canceling winter sports like basketball? The season officially begins in two months with the first games less than three months away.

Reaction Score
That's right!!! Thought for the day: "RESPECT THE RONA." ;)

That's exactly it! It's the fact that players were balking at the requirement to indemnify the universities should the players get sick that seemed to stick in their craw. And also the growing talk about a college players' union. I think the conference, and behind them the NCAA, got really scared at the consequences of a season in which scores of players got sick and possibly died. They are, after all, teenagers and 20 year-old's.

The dominoes are falling....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When do they start canceling winter sports like basketball? The season officially begins in two months with the first games less than three months away.
Basketball will likely do the same thing football has done, play a wait and see game until they have to make a decision. The options include everything from postponing play until after Christmas, playing league only games in a bubble between Thanksgiving and the start of the spring semester and cancelling the season outright. No decision need be made until November imo.

Reaction Score
Basketball will likely do the same thing football has done, play a wait and see game until they have to make a decision. The options include everything from postponing play until after Christmas, playing league only games in a bubble between Thanksgiving and the start of the spring semester and cancelling the season outright. No decision need be made until November imo.
I think you'd have to make some kind of decision a little before November since games start the first week of the month. Looks like they are pulling the plug on football just a few weeks before the season starts if that's any indication as to how close they can cut it before a decision has to be made.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think you'd have to make some kind of decision a little before November since games start the first week of the month. Looks like they are pulling the plug on football just a few weeks before the season starts if that's any indication as to how close they can cut it before a decision has to be made.
You’re probably correct. Football has been kicking the can down the road for months and they’ve finally hit the end of the road when they have to make decisions. Maybe it’s sometime in October? for basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom