Big 10 basketball 2022, Part II | The Boneyard

Big 10 basketball 2022, Part II

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Big Ten is certainly one of the two most interesting conference races as we approach and enter tournament time. At stake? A two seed in the NCAA tournament.

The best team (in the eyes of the committee) gets the two. Will that be the regular season champ? Will that be the tournament champ?

Could the conference sneak two teams in?

The two Bigs are the most interesting conferences to watch play out

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Big Ten is certainly one of the two most interesting conference races as we approach and enter tournament time. At stake? A two seed in the NCAA tournament.

The best team (in the eyes of the committee) gets the two. Will that be the regular season champ? Will that be the tournament champ?

Could the conference sneak two teams in?

The two Bigs are the most interesting conferences to watch play out
I agree that a lot is up for grabs in the Big Ten. I predict that three Big Ten teams will be hosting in the NCAA tournament: a 2-seed, 3-seed, and 4-seed. (maybe one 2-seed and two 4-seeds, etc.) Barring any major upsets in the conference tournament, Michigan and Maryland seem like locks to me at this point with Iowa, OSU, and Indiana competing for the last top-16 spot. I think the regular season finale between Iowa and Michigan plus any potential head to head matchups between these teams in the conference tournament will essentially determine who gets to host.

The only way I see the Big Ten getting two 2-seeds is if Maryland and Michigan can run the table in the conference tournament, with Maryland winning the title game.

I'm surprised Ohio State is currently projected as low as a 6-seed when they are in contention for a conference title and #1 or #2 seed in the conference tournament. They have wins over Maryland and Iowa, and haven't suffered any upsets in conference play like Iowa, Michigan, and Indiana have. I suppose their early loss to Syracuse (NET 104) hurt, as well as not being able to keep their games vs. Michigan or Indiana competitive. It also hurt that they scheduled extremely easily in the OOC (no games vs top-100 NET teams), unlike a team like Iowa who got a win over UCF (NET #25), at UNI (NET #51), had a close road loss at Iowa State (NET #9). I bring up the comparison with Iowa because Iowa is projected as a better seed at this point, despite Ohio State performing better than Iowa in conference play and also winning the head to head matchup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nebraska and Michigan State could sneak into the tournament with solid games to end the season and in the tournament.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Nebraska and Michigan State could sneak into the tournament with solid games to end the season and in the tournament.
With a 21-7 record and wins over Michigan and Indiana, Nebraska is solidly in. Michigan State and Northwestern are the teams who really need some help. They each having an opportunity tomorrow, playing OSU and Nebraska, respectively.

Reaction Score
Is there a limit to how many posts a thread can get before it's locked? Just curious.

Reaction Score
With a 21-7 record and wins over Michigan and Indiana, Nebraska is solidly in. Michigan State and Northwestern are the teams who really need some help. They each having an opportunity tomorrow, playing OSU and Nebraska, respectively.
Michigan State's recent losses to Penn State and Michigan makes today's game a must win in my opinion. Even with a win today, I'm not sure if a deep run in the BIG10 tourney will help them.

The last time they played each other, OSU won by 6. Michigan State also had a deeper bench with Winston still there and Joiner was healthy. They can't afford any mistakes today to have an outside chance at the tournament.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nancy Fahey just coached in what is surely her final home game as Illinois HC. Her team falls apart in the fourth quarter to lose a highly winnable game against Rutgers, finishing 1-13 in Big Ten play — which is good enough for 14th place!

I like coach Fahey but sometimes it just doesn't work out. I wonder what her next move will be. She left a job at D3 Saint Louis that made her a WBHOF'er.

===

Somewhat remarkably, considering their dismal nonconference performance, Wisconsin finishes 11th in conference and will face Illinois in the first round on Wednesday. Penn State (12th) will play Rutgers (13th) in the other 1R game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Clark may be having the best game of her career in blasting Michigan off the map. 34 pts (8-11 from 3) 6 Asssists, 0 TO's through 3

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So when the dust settles, here are the top 8:

1. Ohio State 14-4
2. Iowa 14-4
3. Michigan 13-4
4. Maryland 13-4
5. Indiana 11-5
6. Nebraska 11-7
7. Northwestern 8-8
8. Michigan State 8-9

(Ohio State and Michigan win the tiebreaker over Iowa and Maryland, respectively, based on head-to-head.)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Did Northwestern's bubble just pop today? I gotta think Michigan St. is on the outside looking in at this point, maybe NW as well.

On another thread it's been pointed out that the bubble is REALLY soft this year, so I suppose some of these incredibly mediocre P5 teams are gonna get in. I think the formula for the NET is deeply flawed, but I guess it's an important tool in the selection committee's tool shed currently.

Reaction Score
For anyone out there who doubt Caitlin Clark, I hope you were watching today's 104-80 Iowa win over Michigan (and many others this past month). She hit 8 of 11 from three, scored 38 points, had 11 assists, six rebounds, three steals and her only two TOs were in the waning minutes when the game was out of reach.

I won't argue for her over Boston as NPOY, but neither would I argue for Boston over Clark. I'd just note that Caitlin's not just leading the country in scoring, assists and free-throw percentage, as well as hauling down eight rebounds a game, she has elevated her team to a share of the Big Ten regular-season title with Ohio State. In two games vs. a Michigan team supposedly targeted for a 2 seed in the Dance, she scored 84 points. Most of her best games have been against Iowa's toughest rivals.

Oh, how I hope Caitlin and Paige are backcourt mates for, say, three or four Olympics, with Azzi there alongside!

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
These "national" awards are so hard because it's so impossible to compare players across different conferences, much less different positions. But Boston earned her POY frontrunner status in the non-conference season, and honestly deserves it based on that alone. Clark and Boston have had equally impressive seasons against their own respective conferences, but I don't think you can argue that Clark has done enough to "catch up," despite leading her team to a share of the regular season title in her conference.

Maybe Clark is at least a lock for B1G POY after beating Michigan today? Had Michigan won today and won the conference outright, I think it was a toss-up between Clark and Hillmon. But now I think Clark has earned it. Three top-15 wins in two weeks. Can't hold her to an arbitrary standard of "team success" anymore.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
What a great showing for women's basketball today in Iowa City. Sold out crowd with 15,000+, nationally televised game, incredibly fun to watch with Iowa nailing 16 threes and scoring over 100 points, Clark had probably her best game ever (38 points, 11 assists, 6 boards, 3 steals, 2 TO, 11-18 FG, 8-11 3pt, 8-8 FT) and Iowa wins the Big Ten Championship. Events like this help grow the sport and will be a big reason why ticket sales likely skyrocket in Iowa City next year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
These "national" awards are so hard because it's so impossible to compare players across different conferences, much less different positions. But Boston earned her POY frontrunner status in the non-conference season, and honestly deserves it based on that alone. Clark and Boston have had equally impressive seasons against their own respective conferences, but I don't think you can argue that Clark has done enough to "catch up," despite leading her team to a share of the regular season title in her conference.

Maybe Clark is at least a lock for B1G POY after beating Michigan today? Had Michigan won today and won the conference outright, I think it was a toss-up between Clark and Hillmon. But now I think Clark has earned it. Three top-15 wins in two weeks. Can't hold her to an arbitrary standard of "team success" anymore.
I hope they split awards to be honest. Both absolutely deserve it. Eye test alone they've been the 2 clear cut best players in the country.

Diving in further to each individually, Clark doesn't have the team success Boston does but her numbers are just unprecedented and phenomenal. 27 points, 8 assists, 8 rebounds per game while leading the nation in scoring and assists, plus she's led Iowa to a Big Ten Championship. Has had some of her best games against the best competition (46 vs Michigan, today's 38/11, 43 vs Ohio State, 29/8/8 vs. Indiana). If that doesn't get you POY, I'm not sure what will.

Boston's case isn't based on stats even though her stats are excellent (17 points, 12 boards, close to 3 blocks, 54% FG). She's the best defensive post in the country and is the reason why South Carolina has been the dominant #1 team all year. This is virtually the same SC team we saw a year ago, but the difference now is that the offense flows through an improved Boston instead of Cooke. As a result, SC has throttled the SEC and hasn't had a competitive game since LSU in early January. She's often taken out midway in the 2nd half because games are blowouts, hence why she only averages 27 minutes per game. She's absolutely deserving of being POY too.

If forced to choose between the two, I'd probably lean toward Boston due to team success but it's a close call. I think these 2's seasons are on par with winners from 2017 (Plum), 2020 (Ionescu) and 2021 (Bueckers), while ahead of winners from 2019 (Gustafson/Ionescu) and 2018 (Wilson).

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Compared to the B1G Preseason rankings it looks like the coaches and the media had the right top 5 teams but just out of orders.

Preseason Top 5
1. Maryland
2. Indiana
3. Iowa
4. Michigan
5. Ohio State

Post Season Standings
1. Ohio State
2. Iowa
3. Michigan
4. Maryland
5. Indiana

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Compared to the B1G Preseason rankings it looks like the coaches and the media had the right top 5 teams but just out of orders.

Preseason Top 5
1. Maryland
2. Indiana
3. Iowa
4. Michigan
5. Ohio State

Post Season Standings
1. Ohio State
2. Iowa
3. Michigan
4. Maryland
5. Indiana

If you equalize the number of games played and SOS, it's essentially a 4-way tie. It's especially difficult to evaluate because so many of these teams' losses came when they were missing key personnel. At any rate, it was an especially fun and dramatic regular season.

Reaction Score
not sure what to make of that big 10 season especically due to Indiana's injuries, but Ohio st hc deserves big 10 hc of the year. Dorka left and they didn't miss a beat. To finish #1 ahead of Maryland Michigan and Indiana is an amazing job.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
If you equalize the number of games played and SOS, it's essentially a 4-way tie. It's especially difficult to evaluate because so many of these teams' losses came when they were missing key personnel. At any rate, it was an especially fun and dramatic regular season.
Extra tough for Michigan and Maryland considering the game they missed play was vs 1-13 Illinois. Both would've easily won. All 4 should be considered Big Ten Champions IMO.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score

Correct! It will be interesting to see how the off-season rules looks at this as missed games not made up could be forfeited to get the correct league standings in the end. I think the ACC did that to alter the conference standings but not overall.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score

1st Team:
Clark, Iowa (POY)
Hillmon, Michigan (only other unanimous selection by both coaches and media; four consecutive 1st Team appearances)
Burton, NW
Czinano, Iowa
Sheldon, OSU
Mikesell, OSU
Berger, Indiana
Clouden, MSU
Marisa, PSU
Reese, MD

2nd Team:
Gulbe, Indiana
Holmes, Indiana
Brown, Michigan
Bibby, MD
Miller, MD
Owusu, MD
Scalia, MN
Markowski, Neb
Shelley, Neb
Cardano-Hillary, Indiana (Coaches only)
Warnock, Iowa (Media only)
Benzan, MD (Media only)

All-Freshman:
Markowski, Neb (FOY)
Sellers, MD (6POY
despite starting many games due to injuries in the MD lineup)
Phelia, Michigan
Hagemann, MSU
Kapinus, PSU (Coahces only)
Ekh, MSU (Media only)

All-Defensive:
Burton, NW (DPOY for third consecutive year, only unanimous selection)
Cardano-Hillary, Indiana
Hillmon, Michigan
Reese, Maryland
Sheldon, OSU (Coaches only)
Shelley, Neb (Media only)

Kim Barnes Arico, Michigan (COY)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics