Better Call Saul | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Better Call Saul

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Finally, we will never hear that bell ding again!!!

Reaction Score
People can say that BCS is boring, that's all fine and good - but I think it's just a nose behind Breaking Bad at this point overall.

Reaction Score
People can say that BCS is boring, that's all fine and good - but I think it's just a nose behind Breaking Bad at this point overall.
This last season, maybe last two they are similar shows and comparable as Saul steers into the drug world, but prior to that BCS was great but in a very different way that paled in comparison to the pace and constant high stakes of BB.

Even in terms of degree of difficulty, I'm amazed how well they've been able to pull off BCS and have drama and compelling scenes co-exist with our knowledge of where characters end up. Yet although that's hard & done to perfection, it is not as impressive as the world creation that BB did, arguably so good that it was more possible to create the parallel & ultimately intersecting world of BCS.

Very, very curious to see where they go from here as we embark on a future beyond BB & El Camino. They've already given all of the BCS characters a major reckoning with their deeds, what does that reckoning ultimately do to them and their future selves is what's left to understand.

Reaction Score
I think its by more than a nose. BB is a superior show. People are entitled to their opinion but those that say BCS is better are on meth.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think its by more than a nose. BB is a superior show. People are entitled to their opinion but those that say BCS is better are on meth.
I must be on meth then. BCS is light years ahead of BB (ok maybe not that much). I think Gilligan learned a lot (character development, symbolism, cinematography) from BB and was able to expand on what he can do/give/show on BCS. BB was really good, but on BCS, Gilligan has taken it to another level.

Granted, it's a much slower burn in BCS than BB. Much more subtle in BCS. You have to pay more attention, just levels deeper. Kind of like Wheel vs Jeopardy.

And the characters (interest/development)

Walt > Jimmy
Kim > Jesse (ok people may argue here, but I always hated Jesse - Walt should have killed him and got a better partner, and Kim may be my favorite female character of all time)
Mike BCS > Mike BB
Frings BCS > Frings BB
Nacho > >> Skyler
Howard >/= Hank (arguable again)
Chuck > Walt Jr and Marie
Lalo> Lydia or Todd
Cliff and Rich > Badger and Skinny Pete
Tuco and Hector BCS > Tuco and Hector BB

Of course this is just my opinion.......and I'm on meth....so take if for what it's worth.

Reaction Score
I must be on meth then. BCS is light years ahead of BB (ok maybe not that much). I think Gilligan learned a lot (character development, symbolism, cinematography) from BB and was able to expand on what he can do/give/show on BCS. BB was really good, but on BCS, Gilligan has taken it to another level.

Granted, it's a much slower burn in BCS than BB. Much more subtle in BCS. You have to pay more attention, just levels deeper. Kind of like Wheel vs Jeopardy.

Walt > Jimmy
Kim > Jesse (ok people may argue here, but I always hated Jesse - Walt should have killed him and got a better partner, and Kim may be my favorite female character of all time)
Mike BCS > Mike BB
Frings BCS > Frings BB
Nacho > >> Skyler
Lalo> Lydia or Todd

Of course this is just my opinion.......and I'm on meth....so take if for what it's worth.
Yes thats your opinion and film like art is subjective. If thats what you believe than great im glad you see it that way. I think youre on meth (of course just some good natured ball busting) but i respect it. The only issue i have with youre comment is the stuff about "you have to pay more attention, just levels deeper". Just because someone doesnt feel the same way about something doesnt mean they lack understanding. Thats a trollish argument and i think its beneath you. Sure i make the meth comment but im obviously kidding where as youre actually questioning peoples intelligence. Not cool man.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes thats your opinion and film like art is subjective. If thats what you believe than great im glad you see it that way. I think youre on meth (of course just some good natured ball busting) but i respect it. The only issue i have with youre comment is the stuff about "you have to pay more attention, just levels deeper". Just because someone doesnt feel the same way about something doesnt mean they lack understanding. Thats a trollish argument and i think its beneath you. Sure i make the meth comment but im obviously kidding where as youre actually questioning peoples intelligence. Not cool man.
Well, how is BB better?

(and there is nothing beneath me)

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Last night's episode was great. Kind of odd for it to come with just 4 episodes left in the series, but a nice epilogue on the story of Slippin' Jimmy. Now the next 2 episodes (at least) are going to deal with BB era Saul, and I would imagine at least part of the finale ties up Jimmy and Kim's storyline.

Reaction Score

Walt > Jimmy
Mike BCS > Mike BB
Frings BCS > Frings BB
Nacho > >> Skyler
Lalo> Lydia or Todd

Character analysis is mostly off after first 3
Fring BB was a great villain created out of cloth, BCS is running it back with less oomph
Howard over Hank is absurd
Lalo definitely the highlight new character of later seasons, unfortunately he just didn't do anything tangible other than randoms killed and avoiding getting killed for a time.
Badger & Skinny Pete were great characters and great comic relief on a darker show, on BCS Cliff & Rich are straight men, lawyers, yawn.
Kim is the standout correction for BB where the female characters were underdeveloped, thankless and somewhat abused by public. Yet Skyler should never have been hated, it was a thankless role doomed to wet blanket treatment. But given that she needed to be in the dark, repulsed but never blow it up and then go along with the program, it went about as well as that awful position could go. It was satisfying in the end when Walt finally fessed up to liking it b/c Skyler's character had earned the confession.

Reaction Score
Last night's episode was great. Kind of odd for it to come with just 4 episodes left in the series, but a nice epilogue on the story of Slippin' Jimmy. Now the next 2 episodes (at least) are going to deal with BB era Saul, and I would imagine at least part of the finale ties up Jimmy and Kim's storyline.
Part of me wants Jimmy and Kim to be reunited as the series ends, but I'm afraid it would be also very hokey. If anyone can pull it off, the showrunners here can though.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Part of me wants Jimmy and Kim to be reunited as the series ends, but I'm afraid it would be also very hokey. If anyone can pull it off, the showrunners here can though.

I don't want that. Everything Kim said when they broke up is true; they're bad for each other. As much as I loved seeing them together, it would be heartbreaking to see them get back together for that reason.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Appreciating the lack of spoilers on E10. Been trying to watch on AMC.com, but either there's a message "episode cannot be loaded at this time", or it gives me a minute or two and then cuts out. So far I've managed to get through the first 11 minutes, lol.

Reaction Score
I don't want that. Everything Kim said when they broke up is true; they're bad for each other. As much as I loved seeing them together, it would be heartbreaking to see them get back together for that reason.
While I do agree with this, I think that Jesse got his happy ending and Jimmy deserves his for all that he's gone through..

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wanting to make sure I was caught up before the next one, I plunked down $1.99 to my cable provider to watch it. While I think it was an important episode to show the internal conflict of Gene/Saul/Slippin' Jimmy, my linger question is how could the original Jeff not make himself available for this episode and work alongside Carol Burnett? That would've been a memorable part in a legendary show. If I were the original Jeff (Don Harvey), I would've made sure to include in my contract with HBO a clause that allowed me to do BCS if they asked again. Who's gonna remember "We Own This City"?

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed how they've juxtaposed Slippin' Gene and Slippin' Jimmy.. A return to all those schemes he used to run when he was young.

Part of me feels like he just wants to get caught at this point. He's miserable and doesn't know which direction to go in. Loved the scene on the phone with Kim, perfect cinematography to have the trucks passing by so we didn't hear the conversation. Also great shot of the grave that was dug transitioning into the next scene. Absolute elite cinematography.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed how they've juxtaposed Slippin' Gene and Slippin' Jimmy.. A return to all those schemes he used to run when he was young.

Part of me feels like he just wants to get caught at this point. He's miserable and doesn't know which direction to go in. Loved the scene on the phone with Kim, perfect cinematography to have the trucks passing by so we didn't hear the conversation. Also great shot of the grave that was dug transitioning into the next scene. Absolute elite cinematography.
I've read that we will find out what was said. Was it her? Or someone telling Gene she's not there anymore and doesn't know where she is? Or????

Reaction Score
I've read that we will find out what was said. Was it her? Or someone telling Gene she's not there anymore and doesn't know where she is? Or????
A lot of friends who watch the show have been frustrated with the past 2 episodes. I personally loved the dark comedy of last week, especially with Jeffy being knocked out on the floor, that was prime Breaking Bad levels of stress.

It seemed to be a pretty heated conversation. My wife and I surmised that it was her on the phone, and she was yelling at him for taking a risk like this - or her yelling at him because the Feds may still be on her phones which would make things sticky for Jimmy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A lot of friends who watch the show have been frustrated with the past 2 episodes. I personally loved the dark comedy of last week, especially with Jeffy being knocked out on the floor, that was prime Breaking Bad levels of stress.

It seemed to be a pretty heated conversation. My wife and I surmised that it was her on the phone, and she was yelling at him for taking a risk like this - or her yelling at him because the Feds may still be on her phones which would make things sticky for Jimmy.
Possibly. I'm thinking it was bad news (for him anyway). Whenever something bad happens to him (Chuck dying, Kim leaving), he goes "Saul". Which is what he does after the phone call.

I guess it could be Kim telling him NOT to call/contact her, it's too dangerous/risky for him??

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
A lot of friends who watch the show have been frustrated with the past 2 episodes.
I felt it was a bit much to ask viewers to remember all the way back to S2 of BB to understand what the opening scene was about. I was certainly confused as to what was happening even though I watched all of BB. And the jumps between past/present were difficult to follow.

Regarding the "revert to Saul" thing, the foot massager scenes were useful in showing exactly that.

Reaction Score
I am into season 6 so I am not reading comments yet. I have to pay for episodes 1-7 and then 8-10 is free? I guess. Anyway, I'll check back in a week or so when I am finished. Good stuff.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Yeah I have to imagine the Feds are tracking her. Francesca said she still hears the clicks on her phone indicating she's being tapped, and she also said that Kim called asking about Jimmy. So they probably heard that call, checked Jimmy's file to see he has an ex-wife named Kim, and put two and two together that she needs to be watched like a hawk.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I am into season 6 so I am not reading comments yet. I have to pay for episodes 1-7 and then 8-10 is free? I guess. Anyway, I'll check back in a week or so when I am finished. Good stuff.

I'm guessing the three most recent episodes are available on demand.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom