Best Sandwich in Connecticut | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Best Sandwich in Connecticut

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Don't know where you live, but New Haven has some great vegan options. I usually eat a lunch from at least one of them every week.

Ninth Square Market Too Caribbean Style (long name; great food) is probably the best value and is mostly Jamaican style, with jerk or curry tofu, mac-n-"cheese" and green beans, etc.

Vegan Ahava is excellent vegan soul food. Her mac-n-"cheese" is probably the best for my tastes, because I like it a bit crispy. Her "drummies" are great: they're like massive chicken wing things made from textured vegetable protein and they have a mini wooden stick in the middle so it's like you're eating off the bone. She makes them in BBQ or sweet chili, the latter of which is my favorite. She has a food truck on the green during nicer weather and has just opened up a storefront on Court St. where she sells meals out the door from 1-5, including dinners you can take home. She is painfully slow but so nice and the food is so good. Call ahead and add another ten minutes to the time she tells you. Yesterday she had oyster mushroom po-boys and vegan "fish" sandwiches, both of which are also great.

Edge of the Woods also has several excellent vegan meal options every day, both ready to eat and ready to heat; as does Thyme & Season in Hamden.
I think you misunderstood. Neither I, nor my wife are vegan and I for one find faux animal protein repulsive.

However given her sensitivities, I can deal with almond milk, dairy-free cheeses, soy butter, and sprouted grains in our shared meals. Vegan dishes are a good place to start because they already avoid milk, butter, and eggs. Then we add beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish, etc.

It's sometimes fun watching the quizzical looks of restaurant waitstaff when she asks for the most vegan option and then adds sausage or something.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think you misunderstood. Neither I, nor my wife are vegan and I for one find faux animal protein repulsive.

However given her sensitivities, I can deal with almond milk, dairy-free cheeses, soy butter, and sprouted grains in our shared meals. Vegan dishes are a good place to start because they already avoid milk, butter, and eggs. Then we add beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish, etc.

It's sometimes fun watching the quizzical looks of restaurant waitstaff when she asks for the most vegan option and then adds sausage or something.
Aha. Got it.

tenor.gif

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Come to think of it, this is what my middle daughter does. She also has a dairy sensitivity but she loves mac-n-cheese, so I get her the vegan mac-n-"cheese" from one of the vegan places and she adds pulled pork.

Reaction Score
Can't go wrong with a chicken parm sandwich from Cornerstone in Hartford.
I used to go there all the time when I worked in Hartford and that is what I always got. But that was 25 years ago. Isn't it gone now?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Since we extended outside of CT, I'll share a sandwich I used to order frequently while in Law School at a place called Yellow Sub. I omitted the tomatoes, because I just don't like them on sandwiches and I had them toast it up.

Beefeater Sub
Premium roast beef, bacon, cream cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and mayonnaise. Choice of half or whole.
sorry bud, and of course taste is personal, but....
cream cheese and mayo? with that other stuff? no.
like lox, cream cheese, and mayo sandwich? no.
cream cheese, jam, and mayo sandwich? no.
scrambled eggs, cream cheese, and mayo sandwich? no.
tomato, mayo, and cream cheese sandwich? no.
took a quick spin around the net to see iffn im missing something on this mayo/cream cheese thing. didn't find much. here's one:
Shrimp Sandwich Spread Recipe | Yummly
cream cheese, mayonnaise, catsup, mustard, garlic powder? no to the heck no.
i ain't eating that either.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Or an engineer who went to Penn State. They have a top engineering school y'know. Yeah, you keep sayin'.
Don't even get them started on their Dodge Stratus...

Reaction Score
Small world. I worked at window browns for 2 summers of college back in like 94 and 95. I made hundreds of those french dip. That kitchen was hell (like most) but pumped out not bad pub food.
Growing up just up the hill from Stew Leonard's and eating there a lot I can say with certainty that even though I was a kid (born in 83), I more than likely ate a sandwich you made then.

For a while they changed them up a little bit but went back to their old formula a few years ago. They need to bring their fried veggies back though.

Reaction Score
Growing up just up the hill from Stew Leonard's and eating there a lot I can say with certainty that even though I was a kid (born in 83), I more than likely ate a sandwich you made then.

For a while they changed them up a little bit but went back to their old formula a few years ago. They need to bring their fried veggies back though.

They fired head chefs from time to time and the menu changed

Reaction Score
Brueggers breakfast sandwiches are something I have been craving since last Mar when the pandemic started

Reaction Score
Surprised this thread is on page 2 and no one's mentioned Nardelli's. It's Nardelli's. We can close this thread now.
Not impressed with nardelli it's good but I've had much better at many other mom and pop Italian delis

Reaction Score
Only competition is Carbone's in Torrington. Or, I suppose, some grapes from Aldi's.
Torrington always had good lunch eats. Salerno's was the best back in the day when Tony and Alfredo ran it, The Godfather back then is still the best Italian Grinder I've ever had. Shiek's was great and Carbone's still cranks out a great roast beef grinder.

Only went to Nardelli's in Waterbury back in the day because I didn't hear great things, wasn't impressed.

Reaction Score
Still looking beyond the state Line?
Cubanos at Sandy's in Key West.
Don't let the laundromat scare you away.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It’s meat and bread.

Let’s not oversell this one now, too.

Reaction Score
They fired head chefs from time to time and the menu changed
I think Aura’s son does most of the cooking now. Oddly enough the other restaurant I mentioned, The White Horse, used to be the Marbledale Pub which she also owned.

Nothing against the Marbledale Pub but whoever bought it from her has really turned the place around, The White Horse is one of the better restaurants on the western side of the state.

Reaction Score
Back in the day (early 70s) there was the Eagleville package store owned by Allie John, who was nothing but a great older guy. He also owned next door to the packie a greasy spoon late night burger joint known simply as Allie John's where his specialty was a next-morning hangover prevention sandwich known as the Cheese Burger Grinder, or "CBG". It was a standard 10" grinder bun with 3 cheeseburger patties served with roasted red peppers or lettuce and tomato. Add some ketchup and/or mayo, and you were in heaven and off to a good night's sleep with little worry of the morning headache!

Allie's son was a partner in the nightclub Shaboo that was near where I-84 crossed Rte 195 in Willimantic.... What a party place that was at the time! I spent many a night there with a stop for a CBG on the way home!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom