Best POY Candidate: Collier, Williams, or Samuelson? | The Boneyard

Best POY Candidate: Collier, Williams, or Samuelson?

Better POY Candidate: Collier or Samuelson?

• Collier

Votes: 97 81.5%
  • Samuelson

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Williams

Votes: 16 13.4%

• Total voters

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
At this point in the year, these three have emerged as 3 of the very best players in the country. I believe you can make a strong case for any of them:

Collier-statistically, she is the best of the bunch. 20 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 1.8 steals, 1.8 blocks, 68% FG, 38% 3pt, 82% FT. Has carried UCONN in the closest games of the season (Tulane/Florida State)

Williams-Great all around numbers--13 points, 8.7 rebounds, 5+ assists, 1+ block, close to 3 steals per game on 56% FG. Check out Sue Bird's POY stats and Williams stomps on them. She also has had her best games against the best teams (Notre Dame/South Carolina).

Samuelson-she's the team's most prolific scorer averaging 20.6 ppg. Has had huge nights against great teams. 48% FG, 41% 3pt, 82% FG.

At this point, I think Williams isn't going to nab votes based off of scoring, and more so that the other 2 are the go to players for Connecticut. If she isn't at least a 2nd Team AP-All American though, she will have been robbed.

Between Collier and Samuelson, I think Collier has pulled ahead of Samuelson at this point. Her consistency is outstanding and her numbers are just ridiculous. Her numbers almost mirror Stewart's from last season, and I consider Stewart's senior season one of the best individual seasons in NCAA history. She's just 2 assists and 1.5 blocks shy per game while shooting 10% better from the floor than Stewart.

I do think Plum will take most of the awards, but I do believe that Collier/Samuelson should nab a couple of the POY awards with the seasons they've had. Their numbers are flat out remarkable.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I think NPOY will be Kelsey Plum. Especially if catches and exceeds Jackie Stiles scoring record and quite frankly she has put Washington on the map in her career.

I think the more interesting race between those 3 will be the AAC POY!?! That I believe will come down to KLS and Collier but I could be wrong!

bballnut90

Reaction Score
If you did this poll after the SC game Gabby would win by a ton. Tonight obviously it will be Napheesa. Do it after every game and it will change with whoever has the big game.

Recency bias will always have a factor, but I think looking at the season as a whole, Collier has been the best, although you could make a case for any of the 3. Tonight it's worth noting that KLS had 19 points, 7 assists and 6 steals which is one heck of a stat line on its own.

Also, I think most feel that Williams could be the MVP of the team this year, but recognize she's probably the third wheel when it comes to voters. She has been the best player on the floor in arguably the two biggest games of the season, but at the end of the day, numbers (points) talk.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think NPOY will be Kelsey Plum. Especially if catches and exceeds Jackie Stiles scoring record and quite frankly she has put Washington on the map in her career.

I think the more interesting race between those 3 will be the AAC POY!?! That I believe will come down to KLS and Collier but I could be wrong!

Plum is certainly deserving of winning the awards, but it also is pretty unheard of for a player not on a top 4-5 team to take home the bulk of the POY awards. Off the top of my head, you had:

2014-2016: Stewart, number 1 for 3 years
2012-2013: Griner, number 1 majority of both years
2009-2011: Moore, number one almost all 3 years
2007-2008: Parker, top 3-4 all season both years
2005-06: Augustus, top 4-5 all year both years
2004: Beard, top 3-4 all year
2003: Taurasi, #1 most of the year
2002: Bird, #1 all year
2001: Riley won most I believe, ND was top 3-4 all year. Stiles did nab at least 1-2 awards.
2000: Catchings, top 4 all year
1998-1999: Holdsclaw, #1 or 2 both years
1997: Wolters/Starbird, both top 3 all year
1996: Rizzoti/Roundtree: Connecticut top 4 all year, Georgia I believe was top 7-8 most of the year
1995: Lobo, #1 most of the year

For pretty much the entirety of the season, Washington has been in the 8-15 range, while UCONN has been #1 and is undefeated. Plum is having a season for the ages, but in the last 22 years, the only players who've taken home POY awards while being on a team that wasn't consistently top 5 all year are Roundtree and Stiles, and both of those players split awards rather than winning the majority.

Also, the three players on Connecticut all have compelling arguments to be POY. Collier/Samuelson are performance/numbers based, and Williams has been based off her play in big games. They all have shining examples of great play in big games and fantastic efficient stat lines.

Lastly, Connecticut has had 7 undefeated seasons entering the NCAAs. In all 7 of those years, they either swept the POY awards or had someone who nabbed at least 1-2 awards. Considering how unexpected this run has been, how great their big 3 have been, and how UCONN has blitzed through the most brutal schedule in the country (beaten 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 9 for teams on the top 16 seed list), they deserve at least a couple of the POY awards if you ask me. And I'm not a UCONN Huskie fan.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I hope they all win one NPOY award. Seriously, think about how we at the BY have shifted our views on this topic.

After her incredible game vs MD, playing sick, Lou was our NPOY. Then, just a week ago, after her monster game vs SC it was Gabby's world. Now following 2 fantastic games, it has to be Pheesa....and oh by the way, Kia was the preseason choice as POY in the AAC.

Who among us would have believed that one year after the graduation of the greatest class in the history of women's basketball, UConn would be suffering from an embarrassment of riches?

It's a beautiful thing.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
1. Who among us would have believed that one year after the graduation of the greatest class in the history of women's basketball,
2. UConn would be suffering from an embarrassment of riches?
3. It's a beautiful thing.

1. Nobody.:confused:
2. Who's embarrassed?:rolleyes:
3. Yes indeed!:)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
All three are terrific. Of the three of them, the one who gets the most defensive attention is KLS and bumped at almost every turn. She's lanky but not physical. She's learned how to produce even when the shots aren't falling.

That said, this team obviously needs all three. Each in their own way kills the opposition, and they, along with their teammates, define TEAM.

Reaction Score
I know it is purely for entertainment value, but why pit our players against each other? All 3 have played very well during the year. Gabby aND Lou have fluctuated a bit, and Phe has been mostly consistent, but each has played her role. Phe has been great lately, thus the "recentcy bias"... they all deserve AA recognition... hope they get it. I would rather have them all share NC!

HGN

Reaction Score
Collier gets my Vote for Conference ; and National. Not very many Candidates are as consistent in Scoring , Rebounds , and Assists. And let's not forget the Blocks.
Plus , she is so vital to her teams success. She shows up every game in the stats. And she's doing it playing out of position. A 6'1 post playing girls much taller and heavier.
Most of the other NPOY candidates provide scoring. But none have help provide the overall team success as Collier has. what she brings none of the other candidates has
provided.

Collier , at this point of the season , is my NPOY.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Collier is platinum right now. She's the most valuable and dependable player Geno has right now!! That being said, I agree with your take that Kelsey Plum is a shoe in for NPOY, especially if she breaks Jackie Stiles' scoring record. A NPOY goes with the territory if she breaks the record. She's got an excellent chance of doing so. If she does, she'll hold on to the record for a while, Jackie did. I do like Collier for 1st team ALL-American!!!!!
Who is having a better season that her? She been steady from the beginning of the season. Even when some her her teammates had an off night, or were injured, Collier showed up. She's got to be selected to the first team!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Plum will get NPOY. She is on track to break Jakie Stiles scoring record and that's the difference maker.

Lou, Pheesa and Gabby should all be AA's. Unfortunately I don't think that will happen.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
At this point in the year, these three have emerged as 3 of the very best players in the country. I believe you can make a strong case for any of them:

Collier-statistically, she is the best of the bunch. 20 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 1.8 steals, 1.8 blocks, 68% FG, 38% 3pt, 82% FT. Has carried UCONN in the closest games of the season (Tulane/Florida State)

Williams-Great all around numbers--13 points, 8.7 rebounds, 5+ assists, 1+ block, close to 3 steals per game on 56% FG. Check out Sue Bird's POY stats and Williams stomps on them. She also has had her best games against the best teams (Notre Dame/South Carolina).

Samuelson-she's the team's most prolific scorer averaging 20.6 ppg. Has had huge nights against great teams. 48% FG, 41% 3pt, 82% FG.

At this point, I think Williams isn't going to nab votes based off of scoring, and more so that the other 2 are the go to players for Connecticut. If she isn't at least a 2nd Team AP-All American though, she will have been robbed.

Between Collier and Samuelson, I think Collier has pulled ahead of Samuelson at this point. Her consistency is outstanding and her numbers are just ridiculous. Her numbers almost mirror Stewart's from last season, and I consider Stewart's senior season one of the best individual seasons in NCAA history. She's just 2 assists and 1.5 blocks shy per game while shooting 10% better from the floor than Stewart.

I do think Plum will take most of the awards, but I do believe that Collier/Samuelson should nab a couple of the POY awards with the seasons they've had. Their numbers are flat out remarkable.
If Plum passes Jackie Stiles, she'll sweep the national awards, as well she should. Connecticut players are victims of the success of the program to a degree, KLS, Collier and Gabby have all performed huge at various points on the biggest of stages but the overwhelming success of the program swallows their accomplishments. Stewie and Maya Moore were exceptions and DT3 was just the best ever to play. If KLS doesn't get sick and have a bad couple of games she would have been an AA, Gabby and Pheesa have stepped up in the biggest games, I just believe it's way too political , but the season Plum is having and her team is a contender in the tough PAC 12 makes her a shoo-in for everything....

Reaction Score
Collier showed all of the promise last year both in college and U19. She just didn't have the strength to hold onto a rebound or drive strong. She is much stronger now and is showing the full gammit of great skills on both sides of the ball. Contact doesn't affect her shot and enjoys it. She uses contact as leverage to get her shot off much like a pro. I believe she is WNBA ready or could be with a little more strength. You need to be tuff and be able to take a hit in that league.

Reaction Score
I would say Collier because of her consistency, but a case could be made for any of them.

Reaction Score
While I agree that Plum is likely to sweep NPOY awards, I don't like the idea that it because she broke a career scoring record. The awards should be based only on what the player accomplished this year.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind if Plum sweeps all the NPOYs. It's a great story, and she's a fine representative for WBB.

Nor would I mind if 2 out of 3 of Gabby, Lou, and Napheesa are AAs. I expect them all to have raised their profile enough this year to be shoo-ins in 2017-18.

Just give me another National Championship.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Right and right again. For whatever the reason Plum is a shoo-in.

Reaction Score
About 8 games ago, my answer would have been KLS but since then she struggled some and while she found ways to contribute Colliers consistent high level performance eclipsed her in my mind. It still seems to me that teams are concentrating first on taking KLS out of games by being very physical with her and I think that by next season with additional strength she'll be a leading candidate for POY but at this point it's Collier.

Reaction Score
Collier gets my Vote for Conference ; and National. Not very many Candidates are as consistent in Scoring , Rebounds , and Assists. And let's not forget the Blocks.
Plus , she is so vital to her teams success. She shows up every game in the stats. And she's doing it playing out of position. A 6'1 post playing girls much taller and heavier.
Most of the other NPOY candidates provide scoring. But none have help provide the overall team success as Collier has. what she brings none of the other candidates has
provided.

Collier , at this point of the season , is my NPOY.

All three have dominated games, are well rounded players and deserve consideration.

Lou is the smoothest prolific scorer, gets the most attention from opposition, has improved her defense a lot throughout the year and is my favorite husky to watch.

Gabby is the most athletic, most exciting, impact a game from the defensive side like few can, and has improved her offense quite a bit through out the year.

Pheese is the best all around and consistent player on both sides of the ball. Just look at the UConn game list and see who has their name listed the most under scoring and rebounding. Lou and Gabby are in there quite a bit too but mostly on one side. Plus she is stone cold no matter the circumstances, nothing seems to phase her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom