Best Pizza in Florida | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Best Pizza in Florida

Reaction Score
There are some 'decent' places down here especially the wood-fired and coal-fired places. Also, there's Capone's Flickerlight on Ocean Drive which specializes in Chicago deep dish pizza and shows games with the Bears, Cubs, Blackhawks, et al. Since I don't like deep dish (or Chi-town sports teams), I can't offer a review. On the Hollywood Broadwalk, there is Rocco's Pizza (subs are good), Florio's of Little Italy, Broadwalk Restaurant and Grille (from Brooklyn), and a few others. They're all . . . ok.

The first thing I do when I visit Farmington, CT is head to Unionville for George's Pizza. Real pizza. On weekends, it's difficult to find parking and the line is out the door much of the time. Now I'm hungry . . . and I'm almost 1,400 miles away. :(
Dear lord no! Worst pizza on earth is Georges but each to their own.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

It is a thing where the pizza you grew up on, no matter how bad it is objectively, is still something you long for when you return "home".

Reaction Score
It is a thing where the pizza you grew up on, no matter how bad it is objectively, is still something you long for when you return "home".
I understand that completely but during the pandemic I ordered George’s Pizza(Naples was closed) took it home, took 2 bites and threw it out. That’s how bad it was. Their crust has the flavor of wet newspaper, the sauce has no distinction or seasoning, the cheese is generic and the overall flavor isn’t’ there. I would rather eat a ritz cracker with peanut butter on it if I was hungry. I understand that it’s Greek pizza but the Greeks should disown this. Other than that it’s great pizza.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well, for me, in the case of Colony, you'd have to define what period you're talking about being "growing up". So allow me to wax nostalgic for a bit...

The pizza I grew up on was John's, which later became Poseidon. Owned by Greeks. No idea what it is now, but the store across Hope St used to be a small department store called Bongo's and was subdivided decades ago to now include a Dominos. Anyway, John's pizza was a pan pizza - those black pans with 1" rims - that were given to you on a cardboard Chinet-ish plate and wrapped in a paper bag. No boxes. There were a few of those places in Stamford, like Glenbrook Pizza and a couple joints downtown. I think that style has pretty much disappeared, but there might be survivors. It was pizza, it was cheap for mom & dad to buy (buy 5, the 6th is free), it kept us happy, but it's not something I miss.

Hardly anybody actually went to Colony as a kid, although I imagine plenty of families who lived nearby ordered pickup. It was an Irish cop bar on one side and a bunch of booths with banquettes on the other side that made it, along with the location, perfect for softball teams, bowling leagues and other motley assemblages of working class adulls to enjoy pizza that seemingly never made you full, along with cheap beer served by the pitcher and poured into 7oz juice glasses. Myself and a friend actually did a Colony diet while at the Stamford Branch in '75 - we'd split a pizza and a pitcher of Miller Lite 3x/week. We both lost ~20 lbs That the bartenders were characters added to that enjoyment. I'd never been until I was 18, the drinking age then.

Having played softball for years in numerous SW Ffld Cty leagues, there were other places we frequented when we played in Norwalk or Wilton (Uncle Joes before it went Greek) or the West Side of Stamford (19th Hole) and the pizza was fine, but it wasn't unique, which I guess is the thing about Colony. There was nothing remotely similar until Ridgeway and Riko's started copying Colony 15 years ago or so.

I have a lot of fond memories of the actual place in addition to the pizza. Whatever my friends and I decided to do on a Friday or Saturday night, somehow Colony always fit into those plans as either the starting or finishing point. Different era. The Irish cops are long gone along with Bobo, Fitz, Skeets and the lot. It's become pizza first rather than the convivial "Cheers"-like bar it used to be. But the pizza is still unique. I tried Riko's and Ridgeway when I stayed at my late brother's house for awhile back in 2012. Close, but just not the real deal. Star Tavern in E. Orange NJ is the closest I've had.

I'd love it if Pepe's or Sally's opened in Pittsburgh. But I'd also love it if Colony did too. However, I don't think either would work here as Pittsburghers seem to put cheese first, (sweet) sauce second, and crust (undercooked, never char) third in their pizza priorities. Actual thin crust that's not cracker is hard to find, although I've been lucky to have a couple of places that will do what I want on request (although one of them called in quits during the pandemic).

Anyhoo, it was the defense of Beto's by native Pittsburghers that actually got me to realizing that not everyone enjoys a unique pizza. However, unlike bar/tavern pies which also exist in NY, NJ and MA, there is less than zero chance that anyone in the pizza belt would not be completely appalled at the idea, let alone execution, of a Beto's pizza. Yet they've been in business forever and the parking lot is full. To me it's both objectively AND subjectively horrible. But so is dark roast coffee, flavored coffee, supermarket canned/packaged coffee, Keurig coffee, and pretty much anything else that isn't traceable to a plot of land and was roasted months ago. It sucks, period, objectively and subjectively. Yet I'm 100% positive there are those who say that NH/Wooster St. is the ONLY pizza they deem as "real pizza", yet drink that brown dreck and think it's perfectly fine.

IOW, to each their own, I guess.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I'm down with the New Haven pizza is best concept. But I've had good pizza in many places. Hell, had really good pizza in Normandy and the Loire valley. The Neapolitan style we like isn't exactly novel and unique. I do believe Italians have immigrated to places other than New Haven and non Italians can make pizza just fine. Just about the only regional food I've never seen truly replicated elsewhere is San Francisco sourdough.
'Just about the only regional food I've never seen truly replicated elsewhere is San Francisco sourdough.'

absolute gospel truth. my single favorite, all time, numero uno, daily driver, food on planet earth.
first experience going into the super in san fran. wait, whut? there's a whole aisle, both sides(!), filled with like just 4 brands of this bread? never saw that for anything, ever, in the super.
within a few weeks, that stuff was never absent from my house then, ever again. other than that, the only exemplary, not really the same here food thing that i found globetrotting, is fresh local hummus, and fresh local pita bread in the hot places, tho atlantic avenue in brooklyn represents pretty well. can't say the same thing for everrbody not named sf and the sourdough thing.

Reaction Score
Last time I recommended George's on a BY pizza thread it got a few likes. Didn't realize there were that many Farmington Valley transplants in SoFla.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I guess. I loved Manchester Pizza when I was a kid, but then I find that kids generally really like Greek style CT/MA "House of" Pizza. Loads of cheese and sauce. Looks like Manchester Pizza actually expanded and is still open. No idea if the owners are the same 40 years later.

This is going to sound blasphemous, but if you order the right crust (hand tossed, not pan), Pizza Hut beats most New England Greek pizza places. Dominoes Brooklyn style probably does as well.

Reaction Score
Last time I recommended George's on a BY pizza thread it got a few likes. Didn't realize there were that many Farmington Valley transplants in SoFla.
Both places currently but Florida resident now. There's a lot of very good pizza in Ct. Compared to Florida so far. There is some better Italian food coming in down here as the influence of northerners demands it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is going to sound blasphemous, but if you order the right crust (hand tossed, not pan), Pizza Hut beats most New England Greek pizza places. Dominoes Brooklyn style probably does as well.
I have never had a Pizza Hut better than a NE Greek pizza.

Reaction Score

-> Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana is reportedly expanding even further south, with leases signed for restaurants in Florida.

Florida Weekly reported Thursday that the legacy pizzeria will be opening on the Sunshine State's east coast, according to a statement from commercial real estate firm Trinity Commercial Group. "We have no immediate plans to search in SW Florida for Frank Pepe’s, but we have signed some leases in Southeast Florida and continue to actively search on this [east] coast,” TCG told the news magazine.

Representatives for Frank Pepe's did not immediately respond to request for comment. But on its "Jobs" page, a dropdown menu lists a "Plantation, FL" location. Plantation is in Broward County on Florida's east coast, approximately 20 minutes from Fort Lauderdale. <-

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score

-> Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana is reportedly expanding even further south, with leases signed for restaurants in Florida.

Florida Weekly reported Thursday that the legacy pizzeria will be opening on the Sunshine State's east coast, according to a statement from commercial real estate firm Trinity Commercial Group. "We have no immediate plans to search in SW Florida for Frank Pepe’s, but we have signed some leases in Southeast Florida and continue to actively search on this [east] coast,” TCG told the news magazine.

Representatives for Frank Pepe's did not immediately respond to request for comment. But on its "Jobs" page, a dropdown menu lists a "Plantation, FL" location. Plantation is in Broward County on Florida's east coast, approximately 20 minutes from Fort Lauderdale. <-

I only learned the other day that Modern has (or at least had) several "branch" locations around the country:

Let's talk about Modern Apizza at Safeco Field: How did that end up being your first expansion location?
That's with a company called Centerplate. I worked with one of their guys years ago doing food and sports: We used to do tennis tournaments and golf tournaments in Westchester, so I would do some venues like that with him. And he always told me, "Come on, let's do one big one." And I'm like, "If you can't get the product right, you can't get my name on it. I'm not there [to maintain quality control]; one of these days if we figure out how to do it correctly, give me a call and we'll give it a shot." So, I did some consulting work for him through the years, and then he hooked up with CenterPlate. And he said, "Listen, I've got this place out in Safeco, they'll spend the money on what you want. Whatever ovens you say, whatever toppings you have to use, we can do this." So I flew out, and we flew over to Wood Stone in Bellingham, Washington, had them bring in a product I told them to bring in, and we went up there and tried it. We made some pizzas for the day, liked it, and it came out good. So I said, "All right, John, this is it. Let's go with it." So, we ran with it. We did Safeco, did two in Denver's convention center, just did one in Sacramento in the convention center, just did one in Kentucky, and Raleigh-Durham is supposed to open up this Spring, at one of the minor-league ballparks there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom