Best Pizza in Florida | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best Pizza in Florida

Reaction Score
live in Astoria now. Will have to give some of those places a try. There's a place near me called Macolleta thats real good.
Slice and the others is on 30th. My son lives on 37th and lives the area.

Reaction Score
Anyone have any recommendations for Austin,tx (I’ll be there for 2 weeks) and then I’ll be in destin/fort Walton for about a month

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Anyone have any recommendations for Austin,tx (I’ll be there for 2 weeks) and then I’ll be in destin/fort Walton for about a month

For Pizza? Northside? Downtown? Salvation is pretty good. Salvation Pizza (salvationpizzaatx.com) It's in the Domain Northside, which is where I stay when I'm there for work. Have brewery recommendations if you need them.

But generally speaking, get BBQ, brisket if possible or get tacos. Breakfast tacos are especially good at several places, including Rudy's which doubles as a gas station.

Reaction Score
The best pizza that I’ve had in South Florida is Pizza Spot in Fort Lauderdale. Outdoor seating and takeout only. It’s a hole on the wall in the sleepy Keys like Riverside neighborhood. The owner is from New Haven and serves Apizza from his brick oven. Grew up with Colony, have tried all the New Haven greats. This is the closest I’ve had. Highly recommend.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
With 21st C filtration, osmosis and chemical analysis, you should be able to replicate Brooklyn water anywhere in the world.
For less than a penny a gallon?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wow, I have been called a lot of things in my long life, elitist is a new addition to the list, thanks for putting a smile on an old guy’s face. I was born and raised in the public projects of New Haven (well-known source of elitism), went to college in Hartford, know good pizza and know good grinders, west coast of Floriduh has neither.
If there isn't good pizza in the Midwest there won't be good pizza on the west coast of Florida
But, I would take the west coast of Florida any day over the east coast

Reaction Score
If there isn't good pizza in the Midwest there won't be good pizza on the west coast of Florida
But, I would take the west coast of Florida any day over the east coast

Agree with west coast v. east coast. Must not be any even acceptable pizza in the Midwest, there is certainly none here in Sarasota.

Reaction Score
Agree with west coast v. east coast. Must not be any even acceptable pizza in the Midwest, there is certainly none here in Sarasota.
Detroit pizza is good and Deep Dish pizza is good if you get over the whole, "it's not real pizza" thing but most thin crust pizza in the Midwest is pretty bad. Tavern style cracker thin pizza just isn't a good style. I never thought East Coast bar style pizza is all that good either.

Reaction Score
milkflower? I'm on 23rd ave, 28th street so not super far. Did he take you to any Greek places?
No, we didn't do Greek. My wife is Scilian and we were drooling for good Italian. I'll ask my son about the Greek places he frequents, though. That whole area is killer for food choices. Delis and every ethnic food imaginable are within walking distance and all very good. You don't survive in that area if you are not stellar.

Reaction Score
milkflower? I'm on 23rd ave, 28th street so not super far. Did he take you to any Greek places?
But I know that area of Astoria is deeply Greek in nature, and stacked with great Greek restaurants. We went to Sanfords I just remembered. They are the best whiskey bar in Astoria so the narrative goes.

Reaction Score
I'm down with the New Haven pizza is best concept. But I've had good pizza in many places. Hell, had really good pizza in Normandy and the Loire valley. The Neapolitan style we like isn't exactly novel and unique. I do believe Italians have immigrated to places other than New Haven and non Italians can make pizza just fine. Just about the only regional food I've never seen truly replicated elsewhere is San Francisco sourdough.
seattle has the same sourdough. all the goldrushers leaving SF stopped in Seattle on the way to the Klondike bringing their sourdough yeast tied in cloth bags hanging from their necks. i believe the enzymes in the dough had to stay warm on the journey so they literally kept it under their shirts and close to their chests.

the best pizza i've found here is actually from a newly opened shop called Blotto that uses a brick-oven sourdough crust. all the bagel places here also use sourdough but they still dont compare to back east.

in short, dont come here for the pizza or bagels

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m looking forward to trying the suggestions in Bradenton and Sarasota. Best I’ve have is Origin on Hillview. Sometimes it eh, but usually it’s decent for fla.

I was excited when someone told me about a pizza place owned by folks from Hoboken….but then I learned it was the pizza I hated when I lived there. Head bang

Reaction Score
No, we didn't do Greek. My wife is Scilian and we were drooling for good Italian. I'll ask my son about the Greek places he frequents, though. That whole area is killer for food choices. Delis and every ethnic food imaginable are within walking distance and all very good. You don't survive in that area if you are not stellar.

Yup, really spoiled with the options. Ironically its tough to find good Chinese unless you venture out to flushing (not too far away). There's some seriously good greek places around though. Would recommend next time you visit, he take you to one of those. Glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reaction Score
There are some 'decent' places down here especially the wood-fired and coal-fired places. Also, there's Capone's Flickerlight on Ocean Drive which specializes in Chicago deep dish pizza and shows games with the Bears, Cubs, Blackhawks, et al. Since I don't like deep dish (or Chi-town sports teams), I can't offer a review. On the Hollywood Broadwalk, there is Rocco's Pizza (subs are good), Florio's of Little Italy, Broadwalk Restaurant and Grille (from Brooklyn), and a few others. They're all . . . ok.

The first thing I do when I visit Farmington, CT is head to Unionville for George's Pizza. Real pizza. On weekends, it's difficult to find parking and the line is out the door much of the time. Now I'm hungry . . . and I'm almost 1,400 miles away. :(

Reaction Score
I’m looking forward to trying the suggestions in Bradenton and Sarasota. Best I’ve have is Origin on Hillview. Sometimes it eh, but usually it’s decent for fla.

I was excited when someone told me about a pizza place owned by folks from Hoboken….but then I learned it was the pizza I hated when I lived there. Head bang

If the NJ place you mentioned is Solorzano's, went there once when it was in Venice, the people were so miserable we left, the place closed because no one could put up with their rudeness, even for mediocre pizza. When we are falling over dead for lack of pizza we go to Demetrio's on Tamiami Trail in Sarasota, nice people, pizza is okay.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm down with the New Haven pizza is best concept. But I've had good pizza in many places. Hell, had really good pizza in Normandy and the Loire valley. The Neapolitan style we like isn't exactly novel and unique. I do believe Italians have immigrated to places other than New Haven and non Italians can make pizza just fine. Just about the only regional food I've never seen truly replicated elsewhere is San Francisco sourdough.
stephen a smith stephena GIF by ESPN

Reaction Score
Yup, really spoiled with the options. Ironically its tough to find good Chinese unless you venture out to flushing (not too far away). There's some seriously good greek places around though. Would recommend next time you visit, he take you to one of those. Glad you enjoyed your stay.
My son mentioned Crave as his favorite, along with a great food truck (he says) called King of Souvlaki. Taverna Kyclades is a high-end place he frequents occasionally. If you love Greek food, Astoria is the place to be. Sort of Arthur Ave-like.

Reaction Score
We really enjoyed Astoria. Of course, anywhere I am with my son is a great place but :)... with the pandemic, we hadn't been east for a couple years and seen his new place. I really believe he will get married and settle down in Astoria. He loves it.

Interesting insight about Chinese food, given Queens might one of the most ethnically diverse regions in the entire world. You would figure Asian and Chinese food would flourish there.

Reaction Score
If the NJ place you mentioned is Solorzano's, went there once when it was in Venice, the people were so miserable we left, the place closed because no one could put up with their rudeness, even for mediocre pizza. When we are falling over dead for lack of pizza we go to Demetrio's on Tamiami Trail in Sarasota, nice people, pizza is okay.
Yes, that was the place...it's on Webber & Beneva...will check out Demetrio's. Rico's by the Publix is decent too

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'I am quite sure you can find a great pizza in all 50 states and nearly every country.'
tru dat as far as the nifty fifty goes. i checked. mebbe not in the restaurant or 'pizzer' parlor (rip to remdog - he had that old school way of saying pizza), but mebbe at ur pals kitchen, or someone's mom or dad who has an oven, and a brain, or that place that hadn't been 'discovered' yet.
no as to every country. i also checked. lol. there's a lot more to the 'foreign' label than just funny accents. usually, sketchy food is my experience. them folks are 'sauce' nuts.
just bought 3 stop and shop supreme frozens for $10. six pounds of reliable za (before i juice them up). do you have any idea how much i would pay to have one of those in many places 'overseas?'

Reaction Score
We really enjoyed Astoria. Of course, anywhere I am with my son is a great place but :)... with the pandemic, we hadn't been east for a couple years and seen his new place. I really believe he will get married and settle down in Astoria. He loves it.

Interesting insight about Chinese food, given Queens might one of the most ethnically diverse regions in the entire world. You would figure Asian and Chinese food would flourish there.

Queens yes, Astoria no. Flushing and Jackson heights would have it. I actually got married in Astoria over the summer. Was planning to do it in Ireland (my wife is Irish) but the pandemic made it too hard. Love the neighborhood though, been here since I moved to the city like 6-7 years ago. The community is terrific, dont think i'd move somewhere else as long as i'm living here. Best of luck to your son.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom