OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 193 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Dude. It’s been impossible to get near the place in peak season since as long as I’ve known about it. One of my best friends since I’ve was eight has had a family house in GLP since before we were born and I’ve been going to GLP regularly since then. The choice was always Abbot’s or Ford’s but we almost always ended up at Abbot’s because they can handle the volume and we usually had a crowd.

It wasn’t until one of my daughters had fencing matches up that way several years ago that I’ve been able to do covert missions there at off hours. And now that they take reservations that changes everything. For the good imo.
Fencing?!?!

You sure you're in the correct thread? ;)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Fencing?!?!

You sure you're in the correct thread? ;)

Ha! Well Greenwich was definitely the best team at most matches. Their kids had gear with their names on them. Our kids shared used gear.

It was and still is largely a sport for quirky-in-a-good-way kids at our high school, and it was a great and transformative experience for her. She didn't continue it in college but her coach reached out to her on a few occasions to let her know that there was interest from colleges if she wanted to fence there.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ha! Well Greenwich was definitely the best team at most matches. Their kids had gear with their names on them. Our kids shared used gear.

It was and still is largely a sport for quirky-in-a-good-way kids at our high school, and it was a great and transformative experience for her. She didn't continue it in college but her coach reached out to her on a few occasions to let her know that there was interest from colleges if she wanted to fence there.
Do they get to keep the suits so they can take up beekeeping?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
sorry you are in PA.
Please bow out.

Just for fun, I've put together a montage of a dozen pizzas. The challenge is, can you identify which are from Southern CT, which are from Pittsburgh, and which are frozen? I've already given you one (your mystery pie).

Anyone else can feel free to join in.

12pizza.JPG

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just for fun, I've put together a montage of a dozen pizzas. The challenge is, can you identify which are from Southern CT, which are from Pittsburgh, and which are frozen? I've already given you one (your mystery pie).

Anyone else can feel free to join in.

View attachment 60116
I'll give it a shot, but I am not nearly as well-versed in tavern pies, Pittsburgh pies or frozen pies:

1. CT
2. CT
3. CT (Colony?)
4. Pitt
5. Frozen
6. Pitt
7. Frozen
8. Frozen
9. CT (Modern?)
10. Auggie's abomination (CT)
11. CT (Sally's?)
12. Pitt

Reaction Score
I'll give it a shot, but I am not nearly as well-versed in tavern pies, Pittsburgh pies or frozen pies:

1. CT
2. CT
3. CT (Colony?)
4. Pitt
5. Frozen
6. Pitt
7. Frozen
8. Frozen
9. CT (Modern?)
10. Auggie's abomination (CT)
11. CT (Sally's?)
12. Pitt
#3 isn't Colony and #10 is definitely frozen with Taylor Ham and Lamberti sausage.

Reaction Score
Oh it was delightful and suprisingly not too meat heavy. Very well balanced. Had some leftovers for lunch too.
The pic you posted looked like the pizza had ketchup on it, instead of tomato sauce. I guess that's why you like it so much.

Reaction Score
Quick story, was having my car repaired and the dealership drove me home. The driver and I started talking about pizza, and he told me the story about how Pepe's had dealt with a problem with their pizza tasting different outside of New Haven. Many New Haven lovers complained that the pizza was not Pepe's standards. Their satellite restaurants used the exact same ingredients, yet the taste was different (or not as good).

Pepe's paid for technicians, labs and other scientists to probe the reason. Apparently Pepe's agreed.

The problem was then discovered that the difference in taste was due to the water being used. New Haven area water had a content that was unmatched elsewhere (or at least in their other locations). Since the discovery they now ship water to the satellite stores along with the other ingredients.

Now that's the story from the driver, hasn't been verified but its a fun and believable story to tell.

Reaction Score
Quick story, was having my car repaired and the dealership drove me home. The driver and I started talking about pizza, and he told me the story about how Pepe's had dealt with a problem with their pizza tasting different outside of New Haven. Many New Haven lovers complained that the pizza was not Pepe's standards. Their satellite restaurants used the exact same ingredients, yet the taste was different (or not as good).

Pepe's paid for technicians, labs and other scientists to probe the reason. Apparently Pepe's agreed.

The problem was then discovered that the difference in taste was due to the water being used. New Haven area water had a content that was unmatched elsewhere (or at least in their other locations). Since the discovery they now ship water to the satellite stores along with the other ingredients.

Now that's the story from the driver, hasn't been verified but its a fun and believable story to tell.
Interesting. I think that could be a factor but the original location also has that original oven, which seems to just turn out superior pies. I will say though that the West Hartford location seems to almost replicate the New Haven location’s quality, Waterbury was excellent the one time I had it, as well.

Reaction Score
Colony Grill opened up a location here in Arlington, VA a few weeks ago. I’m looking forward to trying it. Even if it isn’t as good as the Stamford location, it will still probably be the best pizza in the area.

Reaction Score
What’s the best buffalo chicken pizza around west Hartford? Joeys is decent, Luna is decent... Harry’s is bad (but it’s my favorite pepp pizza). I’ve tried a lot of places just looking for a good crispy buff chicken pie

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Pizzarias around the country have had water brought in from Brooklyn to replicate the taste and texture in their crusts.

Reaction Score
Pizzarias around the country have had water brought in from Brooklyn to replicate the taste and texture in their crusts.
And allegedly, satellite locations of Grimaldi’s have taken it a step further by having a machine created to change the composition of their local water to replicate the Brooklyn water.

Reaction Score

it seems to be the 6% rat urine in the Brooklyn water supply.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
But if I remember correctly from when I lived in Brooklyn, the borough gets its drinking water from some 19 different reservoirs and three lakes spread across a nearly 2,000-square-mile watershed. The watershed is not located in New York City... it is upstate, in portions of the Hudson Valley and Catskill Mountains that are as far as 125 miles north of the City.

Reaction Score

Wow! This explains it! I grew up in the valley and Pepe's was our family favorite back in the 70s. Living now in NE CT, we've been getting Pepe's from the Manchester location. It was never like New Haven and seemed like it was getting worse as time went by. For that reason and not long ago, we were one pizza away from not going there anymore... A couple of months ago, we decided to give it one more shot and noticed a BIG difference. It was soooo much more like a New Haven Pepe's pie. Not sure when the changes your driver suggested above were made, but his story seems to hold water to me!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Local water can be a big deal. That's one reason Lawson's never moved Sip of Sunshine out of Stratford.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did a white clam with bacon takeout pie from Pepe's the week before last and was told to pick it up at The Spot because that's where they are doing all the takeout now. It was the best clam pie I've had from Pepe's in years; *almost* made me feel guilty for elevating Zupp's. I'd call it a draw after that one. But the point is that I think there is something to both the oven and the water.

Did Bufalina last night. Special pie with pesto, speck and stracciatella cheese was fantastic; as was the Anatra again. Looking forward to leftovers of both for apps tonight.

Also of note, we did takeout from Zeneli for office lunch a few weeks ago. The combination of the insulated box and the less-crisp, more-chewy crust meant that it didn't travel well, even five minutes across town from door to door. It got steamed and spongy. Great taste, but didn't show well overall because of the crust. I'd recommend reheating if taking out; you'll make the crust more crispy than they intend, but it's better than spongy. When eating there fresh out of the oven their pies are much better imo.

Reaction Score
Did a white clam with bacon takeout pie from Pepe's the week before last and was told to pick it up at The Spot because that's where they are doing all the takeout now. It was the best clam pie I've had from Pepe's in years; *almost* made me feel guilty for elevating Zupp's. I'd call it a draw after that one. But the point is that I think there is something to both the oven and the water.

Did Bufalina last night. Special pie with pesto, speck and stracciatella cheese was fantastic; as was the Anatra again. Looking forward to leftovers of both for apps tonight.

Also of note, we did takeout from Zeneli for office lunch a few weeks ago. The combination of the insulated box and the less-crisp, more-chewy crust meant that it didn't travel well, even five minutes across town from door to door. It got steamed and spongy. Great taste, but didn't show well overall because of the crust. I'd recommend reheating if taking out; you'll make the crust more crispy than they intend, but it's better than spongy. When eating there fresh out of the oven their pies are much better imo.
Speaking of white clam and bacon, I had one recently from Pizza Co in Stratford. They are the food vendor for Two Roads. The pie was fantastic. New Haven style with just the right char and crust. Maybe not quite on par with the big four or five but with a few brews it was damn good!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Star Tavern is the pie by which he judges all other pizzas, that says it all. Lol.
As non-Colony bar pies go, Eddie's in New Hyde Park, LI is better than Star, but it might be further from West Hartford.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As non-Colony bar pies go, Eddie's in New Hyde Park, LI is better than Star, but it might be further from West Hartford.
Good to know. 11 mins from SIL's house in Westbury, next time I'm there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom