OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 190 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
After the original River Restaurant blew-up in '85 (cripes, that was 35 years ago!), it re-opened at the small plaza next to the Derby Green before moving again to the shopping district on Route 34. I haven't been to that specific plaza in decades (then Big Y was Caldors, next door The Edge Fitness was Service Merchandise while across the street, Lowe's was G Fox; but, happily the Valley diner is still there). I just Googled it and the 'new River Restaurant was indeed at the same location (656 New Haven Avenue) as the 'new' River Restaurant, which seems to have closed in 2010 or so.
You are correct!

Reaction Score
I try to call by noon, 12:30 at the latest, if I want a reasonable pick-up time. They get there at 11:30 on the days they are open.

Yeah have to call before 1 PM. Saturday is definitely easier than Friday by a large margin.

Good to know. Thanks fellas

Reaction Score
As a kid going to Westfarms mall in the early 80s my mom use to take me for a slice of pizza in the mall. I use to love there pizza. It closed, and then the only pizza was Sbarro. Does anyone remember the name of that pizza place and do they have a restaurant anywhere else?

Reaction Score
As a kid going to Westfarms mall in the early 80s my mom use to take me for a slice of pizza in the mall. I use to love there pizza. It closed, and then the only pizza was Sbarro. Does anyone remember the name of that pizza place and do they have a restaurant anywhere else?

Italian Delight. Sofias in East Windsor is owned by the same family.

Reaction Score
After my visit yesterday, Colony pizza moved up the charts and is currently 1 and 1a along with a mash potato pie from Bar pizza. I recently moved up to the West Hartford area and am wondering what pizza shops resemble Colony’s thin crust the most?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
After my visit yesterday, Colony pizza moved up the charts and is currently 1 and 1a along with a mash potato pie from Bar pizza. I recently moved up to the West Hartford area and am wondering what pizza shops resemble Colony’s thin crust the most?
None.

There is a Great place a few blocks from colony ( rikos). Or star tavern in jersey. I don’t thing you’ll find “ bar pie” around weha ( not that I’m aware of). There is bar pie in Boston area though

Reaction Score
I didn't think there was such a thing as bad pizza, then I went to Chicago. That was bad pizza. Then one of my daughters was invited to a party at Chucky Cheese. That was bad pizza. Then my nephew took us to a place in PT Pleasant NJ, that might have been worse than Chucky Cheese. What's the worst pizza you have had?

Reaction Score
I have gotten take out from Mike's in West Haven recently. Top notch, slightly better than Zuppardi's in my opinion. I also got the stuffed shrimp pizza at Tipsy Tomato and that was excellent as well.

Reaction Score
None.

There is a Great place a few blocks from colony ( rikos). Or star tavern in jersey. I don’t thing you’ll find “ bar pie” around weha ( not that I’m aware of). There is bar pie in Boston area though

In addition to Starr in Jersey, there's Patsy's in Paterson (be careful) and Kinchley's in Ramsey.
I didn't think there was such a thing as bad pizza, then I went to Chicago. That was bad pizza. Then one of my daughters was invited to a party at Chucky Cheese. That was bad pizza. Then my nephew took us to a place in PT Pleasant NJ, that might have been worse than Chucky Cheese. What's the worst pizza you have had?

Excluding drinking nights and pizza I can't remember, 2 years ago at Pizza Hut in Cooperstown NY at 9 PM. We got in late the first night for my older son's baseball tournament and it was the only place we could get into after checking it. It was old, cold Pizza Hit. Had a bite and decided that the flat Pepsi was more fulfilling and less likely to crush my GI.

PS - Its not New Haven, New York or even New Jersey pizza; but, if you are in Cooperstown, New York Pizzeria is good 'town' pizza and well above average for Upstate NY.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Four perfect pies, great salad and another amazing Hen and Heifer dessert from Bufalina tonight, but this was the standout. I was and still am stuffed, but I could easily eat another one of these:

ANATRA
Smoked duck breast, blistered currants, fontina cheese, local micro greens

Reaction Score
Four perfect pies, great salad and another amazing Hen and Heifer dessert from Bufalina tonight, but this was the standout. I was and still am stuffed, but I could easily eat another one of these:

ANATRA
Smoked duck breast, blistered currants, fontina cheese, local micro greens
Glad to hear the good feedback. I’m still a bit of a duck pizza skeptic. I’ll have to buck up and try to Anatra next week. Still haven’t had the Cicoria, either. Try that yet?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Glad to hear the good feedback. I’m still a bit of a duck pizza skeptic. I’ll have to buck up and try to Anatra next week. Still haven’t had the Cicoria, either. Try that yet?
If you had the duck prosciutto pizza last year this is almost identical except with smoked duck breast. It is really one of their best imo.

We also had the Cicoria last night. We told Matt to add whatever meat he thought would be best and it came with speck, which could make shoe leather palatable to me. The fall greens are bitter and that offsets the creaminess of the buffalo mozz and complements the chili thing they’ve got going on there very well. Definitely glad we added the meat. We had some of that left over today and it was nice reheated.

We also got the special, which was wood roasted shrimp with pistachio pesto and mozz, and we added speck to that also because we’ve had that before and liked it with the speck.

And as always we also got the Tre Carne, which is our daughter‘s favorite (although, like everyone else, she liked the Anatra best last night).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
None.

First time I had Riko's version of hot oil & stinger, I got the runs. YMMV. It is close (owned/run by former Colony employees) but is missing a certain je nais se quois.

Closest I've ever had to Colony was Star Tavern in Orange, NJ. Oddly (and regrettably) when I lived in Quincy I never did the bar pie circuit (Lynwood, Town Spa, Hoey's, etc.). But I did appreciate the $5 pan pizza at the Alumni in Quincy, which closed a couple years after I moved to Pgh.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
George’s in Unionville is bad pizza. Had to throw it out.

Reaction Score

>>Connecticut's iconic pizza empire is expanding southward.

Colony Grill is set to open their sixth location in Arlington, Virginia, according to a press release. The new restaurant, which will be located at the Market Common on 2800 Clarendon Boulevard, will open to the public on Wednesday, Oct. 14.<<

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Leaving out obvious contenders like Shea Stadium or the snack bar at the StarLite Drive-In in Shippan Point, I can confidently say that the three worst pizza experiences of my life have all been in PA.

Back in the early 80s my first wife, a Lafayette grad, convinced me to go to Easton for the Lehigh game. The pizza place we went to afterwards was a student and family favorite and was packed. To me, all I could smell was the alarming scent of the back dairy room of a Cumby after milk spilled during the morning had gone rancid by closing time. As I worked in Cumby and had to mop that crap up, I recognized the smell immediately. I could not eat the pizza. It didn't seem to bother anyone else.

I try not to let my dislike for a particular style interfere with judging pizza objectively. But there is no way around Beto's, a style which I've mentioned here many times before. It's popular here and I cannot fathom why. OTOH, there's a place called Campiti's outside the city that local redditors called the best thin crust/NYC style. It is to this day the only time I threw out a pizza while ordering another pizza from somewhere else on my way home. It was like a motzah with ketchup. I would've rather eaten a pizza Lunchable.

Reaction Score
Unionville,a destination to experience eyetalian cuisine.georges is the crown jewel.i would have put the disappointing pizza on my deck for the coons who party there frequently.its a sin to throw food in the garbage

Reaction Score
Modern is IMO still the best.

Pepe’s and Sally’s have made a great living providing less and less for the patron’s money and convincing them they’re better off. Having grown up between North Haven, New Haven and East Haven in the 80s and early 90s there’s simply no way that‘s the case......Tolli’s did thin crust as well or better at 1/2 the price.

Best food on Wooster St? Libby’s, of course.

I used to enjoy: Red Lantern, Grand Apizza, Vic’s, Antonio’s (Htfd Tpk) and Angelo’s in North Haven; Tolli’s, DePalma’s and Aniello’s in East Haven; Bimonte’s in Hamden; Modern in NH; Zuppardi in WH.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Paul's Pizza on 195 was the worst ever. Never had a crust that wasn't burnt black while the "cheese" was inedible napalm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom