OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 189 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Is there a trick to order from Bufalina on a Friday night or Saturday? The last few times I've tried (once in person, twice over the phone) they've been sold out of dough/reserved for the rest of the night. They suggested I call before they open to reserve dough but I never get through. I've been to Bufalina twice and loved it both times but it's become a hassle to get pizza from them.
I try to call by noon, 12:30 at the latest, if I want a reasonable pick-up time. They get there at 11:30 on the days they are open.

Reaction Score
I try to call by noon, 12:30 at the latest, if I want a reasonable pick-up time. They get there at 11:30 on the days they are open.
Yeah have to call before 1 PM. Saturday is definitely easier than Friday by a large margin.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Bufalina's new fall menu starts today; the four new pies are the Pere, Brisket, Anatra and Cicoria:

I think the Pere is the only one that has appeared on the menu before. I like it but it's more of a dessert pie imo; whereas the Fichi it replaced was one that we really liked for dinner and got every time we ordered this summer.

Brisket sounds good--except for the rosemary. I'm hoping that can be omitted if requested.

Antara sounds very interesting; I don't think I've ever had a pizza with duck on it before, except their duck prosciutto, but I will give that a try.

I feel like the Cicoria needs some meat--maybe speck or sausage. Do you pronounce it like the musician's name, i.e., Chick Corea?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bufalina's new fall menu starts today; the four new pies are the Pere, Brisket, Anatra and Cicoria:

I think the Pere is the only one that has appeared on the menu before. I like it but it's more of a dessert pie imo; whereas the Fichi it replaced was one that we really liked for dinner and got every time we ordered this summer.

Brisket sounds good--except for the rosemary. I'm hoping that can be omitted if requested.

Antara sounds very interesting; I don't think I've ever had a pizza with duck on it before, except their duck prosciutto, but I will give that a try.

I feel like the Cicoria needs some meat--maybe speck or sausage. Do you pronounce it like the musician's name, i.e., Chick Corea?

Love this fall menu. I wonder how mad my wife will be if I order four pizzas tomorrow... I’ve always loved the Pere, been missing it lately, glad to see it back!

Brisket is my favorite of this group in theory. I love rosemary though. Top five herb for sure for me.

Same on duck pizza, don’t think I’ve ever had it. Have had some delicious duck egg rolls at South Bay in New Haven recently, but I could see this working.

I think it’s chee-corea? Not sure if that’s the same as what you wrote or not. Curious to try this one but I don’t think it will be a regular order.

Reaction Score

It's amazing to have a place of this quality in our neck of the woods despite the fact that it is so different from New Haven Pizza it is certainly on a par with the best of them. Btw, have you tried La Scarpetta yet?

Reaction Score
Another one of these lists. As always take it with a grain of salt. Especially since they said they haven't eaten all of them. How do you rank without eating them?

Connecticut places:
#1 Pepe's
#9 Sally's
#16 Modern
#43 Colony Grill
#45 Zuppardi's
#47 BAR

Reaction Score
Another one of these lists. As always take it with a grain of salt. Especially since they said they haven't eaten all of them. How do you rank without eating them?

Connecticut places:
#1 Pepe's
#9 Sally's
#16 Modern
#43 Colony Grill
#45 Zuppardi's
#47 BAR

fake news

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Connecticut places:
#1 Pepe's
#9 Sally's
#16 Modern
#43 Colony Grill
#45 Zuppardi's
#47 BAR

How is a Boston place on the list is a better question. Horrible pizza.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Connecticut places:
#1 Pepe's
#9 Sally's
#16 Modern
#43 Colony Grill
#45 Zuppardi's
#47 BAR

How pissed would you be to go Sally’s and get their sliced potato and rosemary pie, thinking it was some kind of signature pie based on this article?

Never had that pie or even saw anyone order it until someone in my office ordered it at an office pizza lunch a few weeks ago. 3/4 of it sat in our fridge for a week until I tossed it.

Reaction Score
How is a Boston place on the list is a better question. Horrible pizza.
Agreed that Boston pizza stinks for a big northeastern city. But there are a few good places, just not that many. And considering there are places on here from Salt Lake City, Kansas City, Glenwood, Iowa (never heard of it), Hot Springs, Arkansas (where?), Anchorage, Alaska, Buffalo, Louisville, University City, MO, Addison, TX, (should I go on?) it's apparent that lots of places have at least 1 decent pizza place. At least according to the authors of this list.

Reaction Score
Had the Brisket pie from Bufalina tonight. Definitely a great addition to the fall menu, but probably won’t be something I order regularly. None of the flavors really jumped out, the rosemary was subtle, perhaps it needs something more sweet or spicy. I could go either way. Definitely 7/10 or so as is, though.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
For you Portnoy fans, if the following video doesn't convince you he's a total hack, nothing will.

I've talked about Beto's here before. It's a travesty of a "pizza". Baked in sheets, sauced only, cold toppings added (except sausage). No mootz, provolone only. Served by the square cuts (not "carts") only.

Portnoy gave it a 7.2. Keep in mind, he gave BAR a 7.4 when in NH.

However, the vid is worth watching for the typical insane Stillers fan telling his SO he won't do the dishes because he's going to hang himself in the bedroom because the Stillers lost.

Reaction Score
For you Portnoy fans, if the following video doesn't convince you he's a total hack, nothing will.

I've talked about Beto's here before. It's a travesty of a "pizza". Baked in sheets, sauced only, cold toppings added (except sausage). No mootz, provolone only. Served by the square cuts (not "carts") only.

Portnoy gave it a 7.2. Keep in mind, he gave BAR a 7.4 when in NH.

However, the vid is worth watching for the typical insane Stillers fan telling his SO he won't do the dishes because he's going to hang himself in the bedroom because the Stillers lost.

Sadly, I've followed these scores long enough to have an opinion here. The range of his scores is so much more narrow and predictable recently. I think that he saw the impact he'd have when he buried a place and felt bad for basically putting them out of business. He's much nicer and more generous with the scores now.

I mean, a 7.2 isn't making anyone get in a car to drive an hour for it....but it's also not closing their doors.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’m just glad he addressed the outfit. I haven’t watched one of his reviews since whenever the last one was posted here so I had no idea if that was his new look. Although it may be now from the sounds of it.

It reminded me of George Costanza wanting to be ensconced in velvet.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sadly, I've followed these scores long enough to have an opinion here. The range of his scores is so much more narrow and predictable recently. I think that he saw the impact he'd have when he buried a place and felt bad for basically putting them out of business. He's much nicer and more generous with the scores now.

I mean, a 7.2 isn't making anyone get in a car to drive an hour for it....but it's also not closing their doors.

Apparently he's here through Friday, so I expect a couple more reviews, but there are so many places here that should be trashed and out of business. I'm gonna guess he's in Squirrel Hill tomorrow doing the Aiello's vs Mineo's thing. Both of which would be a decent local indy pizza in say, Colchester or Harwinton, lol.

Reaction Score
I had the Stuffed Shrimp Pizza from Tipsy Tomato in Derby the other night. It was superb. I would not hesitate to get it again if in the area.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I'm mildly surprised at this. I figured you would've been to Spago at least once back when it was hot.

Reaction Score
I had the Stuffed Shrimp Pizza from Tipsy Tomato in Derby the other night. It was superb. I would not hesitate to get it again if in the area.

Was that were the 'new' River Restaurant used to be?

Reaction Score
No, it's in a shopping plaza right on the Orange/Derby line. Maybe a half mile or so from the Merritt Parkway.

After the original River Restaurant blew-up in '85 (cripes, that was 35 years ago!), it re-opened at the small plaza next to the Derby Green before moving again to the shopping district on Route 34. I haven't been to that specific plaza in decades (then Big Y was Caldors, next door The Edge Fitness was Service Merchandise while across the street, Lowe's was G Fox; but, happily the Valley diner is still there). I just Googled it and the 'new River Restaurant was indeed at the same location (656 New Haven Avenue) as the 'new' River Restaurant, which seems to have closed in 2010 or so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom