OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 188 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Apparently a place called Marino's is reopening in Middletown. The original owners daughter owns it.

Anyone have their za back in the day?

Marino's Market back in the day was great, but it was Sicilian rather than Neapolitan... I lived on their subs when I was there in college (in the 80s). Their specialty was the scacciata... like a stuffed Italian flatbread (it is considered a Middletown specialty to this day).

Reaction Score
Marino's Market back in the day was great, but it was Sicilian rather than Neapolitan... I lived on their subs when I was there in college (in the 80s). Their specialty was the scacciata... like a stuffed Italian flatbread (it is considered a Middletown specialty to this day).

My pops grew up in Middletown and I grew up eating my grandmother's scacciata . . . I had no idea it was a Middletown specialty. My mother could never get it quite right.

Reaction Score
Sally's is still great but not as good since the takeover and the ownership group didn't keep good on their promise to keep the family involved.

One of the owners won't even eat at Sally's anymore he goes to zanellis
Although Sal's sons, Robert and Richard Consiglio, sold Sally's in 2017, they still run the place for the new owners. As a side note, Filomena Consiglio bought the building that houses Sally's for $500 in 1938, and her son Sal ran the place until his death in 1989. Filomena Consiglio's maiden name was Pepe, she was Frank Pepe's sister.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How was her apizzagaina at easter?

Prosciuttini in use? Thats a CT specialty
If you are ever in search of a great quality store-bought pizzagaina at Easter, Liuzzi's in North Haven makes them *almost* as good as my grandmother did (except they call it pizza piena). Gaetano's in Stratford also makes a very good one.

Reaction Score
Finally pulled the trigger and bought 7 frozen Zuppardis pies (sausage) at Caraluzzi's in Bethel. Awesome quality for a frozen pizza.

I drove 30 minutes to and from the one store that sells them in my neck of Texas, and it was totally worth it. Zupps was the place I had the most growing up but didnt go for a long time (lived outside the area so when i came back i would just go to Bar, Modern, or a wooster st place). Tried it again three years ago and it was good and have been back a couple times since. The frozen pizzas are great to have available down here.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Got to try the Italian Bomb at Modern today. It was good, yes, but has slightly too many toppings IMO. Once the toppings start to add up, the pizza becomes a bit sloppy. Filling and tasty, yes, but you need a knife and fork for the first few bites of each piece.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Got to try the Italian Bomb at Modern today. It was good, yes, but has slightly too many toppings IMO. Once the toppings start to add up, the pizza becomes a bit sloppy. Filling and tasty, yes, but you need a knife and fork for the first few bites of each piece.
Agree 100%. Too much on one pie. I never order it but will enjoy a small slice if someone else does.

But maybe that is the point of being “the bomb.”

Reaction Score

Any pizza with more than 2 toppings is pushing it. True pizza is the dough, the crust, the sauce and when you start just dumping crap all over it, the end result suffers.

Reaction Score
Any pizza with more than 2 toppings is pushing it. True pizza is the dough, the crust, the sauce and when you start just dumping crap all over it, the end result suffers.
Reminds me of comparing Ben & Jerry’s to Hagen Daz. I personally like them all.

Reaction Score
The best pizza if you eat right out of the oven is Zuppardi's of East Haven.
They're in West Haven not East Haven, but do agree they're better now than Modern or Sally's. All three are great and a cut above the rest, but Zupp's pies just taste better to me. They're the only ones around that still make their own sausage and their white clam pie is definitely the best.

Reaction Score
They're in West Haven not East Haven, but do agree they're better now than Modern or Sally's. All three are great and a cut above the rest, but Zupp's pies just taste better to me. They're the only ones around that still make their own sausage and their white clam pie is definitely the best.
I agree their clam is awesome but I would rate them behind Sallys and Modern for red pies

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Zupp’s fresh clam and anything with their sausage are unrivaled pies.

Had Modern again recently after having Zupp’s, Sally’s and Pepe’s a couple times each in between and the pies were perfect—once again the eggplant and artichoke (red) well done was the star and it was one of the best ever.

Sally’s has been killing it if you time it right. Their crust is second to none if you like the oily char—I do. Garden Pie (no onion), fresh tomato pie or anything with bacon or pepperoni. All great.

I still love Pepe’s too; obviously the fresh clam is still great (if second to Zupp’s) and I really like the new meatball, ricotta and mozz pie, which is also a big hit with my kids.

Had Bufalina last night for the first time in a couple months and just had the leftovers tonight. It’s still my favorite of all of them. And that’s not to mention their awesome special salad, and an out of this world dessert from Hen and Heifer. Four totally different pies that were each perfectly balanced.

@Deepster , based on what you posted up-thread about only using a few ingredients on each pie, I really think you’d appreciate them. They have a nice outdoor seating area if you want to eat it there.

Reaction Score

Had Modern again recently after having Zupp’s, Sally’s and Pepe’s a couple times each in between and the pies were perfect—once again the eggplant and artichoke (red) well done was the star and it was one of the best ever.

Sally’s has been killing it if you time it right. Their crust is second to none if you like the oily char—I do. Garden Pie (no onion), fresh tomato pie or anything with bacon or pepperoni. All great.

I still love Pepe’s too; obviously the fresh clam is still great (if second to Zupp’s) and I really like the new meatball, ricotta and mozz pie, which is also a big hit with my kids.

Had Bufalina last night for the first time in a couple months and just had the leftovers tonight. It’s still my favorite of all of them. And that’s not to mention their awesome special salad, and an out of this world dessert from Hen and Heifer. Four totally different pies that were each perfectly balanced.

@Deepster , based on what you posted up-thread about only using a few ingredients on each pie, I really think you’d appreciate them. They have a nice outdoor seating area if you want to eat it there.
Do you eat anything besides pizza?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Do you eat anything besides pizza?
Between work and home, I've been getting it around once a week since the pandemic, which is about twice as frequent as usual. When we get it at home we almost always have leftovers.

Reaction Score

Bufalina had an heirloom tomato sauce special a few weeks ago that was incredible. Still pulling out new tricks with the specials all the time, that’s what makes it better than the others for me. And the Hen and Heifer dessert doesn’t hurt, either...

Reaction Score

They're on the list. I just don’t get south often and when I do, I can’t pass up the go-to’s.

Reaction Score

Is there a trick to order from Bufalina on a Friday night or Saturday? The last few times I've tried (once in person, twice over the phone) they've been sold out of dough/reserved for the rest of the night. They suggested I call before they open to reserve dough but I never get through. I've been to Bufalina twice and loved it both times but it's become a hassle to get pizza from them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom