OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 185 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
First chain on the block with non-traditional toppings. When they first hit it big, they were sort of the poor man's Spago (Wolfgang Puck) pizza.
Exiled??? They have some of the greatest pizza places in the world in the Burgh. Hit some of the Italian Deli's in Oakland, down on the Strip, or some of the areas outside the city. Come on Storrsroars, give the city a chance. Learn to love the Black and Gold. Swin Cash will love you for it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Exiled??? They have some of the greatest pizza places in the world in the Burgh. Hit some of the Italian Deli's in Oakland, down on the Strip, or some of the areas outside the city. Come on Storrsroars, give the city a chance. Learn to love the Black and Gold. Swin Cash will love you for it.
I've been here almost 20 years now. You eat what you want. I'll eat what I want.

There are tons of fabulous places to eat in around here. IMO, few are Italian and of 250-300 pizza places (non-Neapolitan), I might enjoy eating at five (only Badamo is relatively close to me, I'm out of Slice's delivery range). Used to be six, but my favorite place closed due to pandemic. Mineos and Aiellos would be below average in Ffld/NH counties. Fiori's would be about average. Betos would be laughed at. Campitis would be used for skeet or disc golf.

I'll add that Pamelas has the worst coffee in America, Primantis is actually the opposite of synergy (Fathead's is infinitely better). Yinzers love big food, not delicious food (although I'll confess to having a soft spot for Big Jim's eggplant parm). The ideal of a 5-course dinner here would be stuffed banana pepper, potato pierogi, a bottle of ranch, a fish sandwich, and a smiley cookie, paired with a 2020 vintage can of IC Light Mango.

People here can't even tell the difference between yellow and "gold", lol.

Reaction Score
I peed next to Brent Musburger at Bobby Vs Norwalk years ago. Only one of us washed. . Do not hold his mic.
Stamford? Bobby V sat with us in Stamford one night over some wings. Heard some good Red Sox stories that he told me not to tweet about.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Stamford? Bobby V sat with us in Stamford one night over some wings. Heard some good Red Sox stories that he told me not to tweet about.
BV had several locations at one time. The Norwalk one was on US1 somewhere between Home Deopt and where Dick's is now. Can't recall the cross street.

Reaction Score

You heard it here first, some of the greatest pizza places in the world are in Pittsburgh. Carl Krauser approves of this message.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
BV had several locations at one time. The Norwalk one was on US1 somewhere between Home Deopt and where Dick's is now. Can't recall the cross street.

Corner of Connecticut and Scribner Avenues. It had been My Pi (spelled with the scientific on sign) before, passable Chicago-style deep dish pizza. Bobby's was there for 10-15 years and supposedly vacated because of insufficient parking. Big mistake. There has been a rotating cast of bar/restaurants in the spot ever since (at least 15 years), none of which have lasted very long, currently a Latin "family style" restaurant. I miss Bobby's $0.10 happy hour wings...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You heard it here first, some of the greatest pizza places in the world are in Pittsburgh. Carl Krauser approves of this message.
To be fair to steelerone, in the early 00s we actually did have two. One owner left for NJ and later started Keste in NYC, the other was among the first DOC Neapolitan places in the US. Still around but is no longer unique. And before I forget, we also now have Dinette, run by a James Beard finalist.

But I don't think those are the places he was thinking about.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I believe this is one of the signs of the apocalypse:

frenchfrypizza.jpg

Reaction Score

Heading to Pitt this weekend actually. Mineos all day

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Here's the kicker - that first photo is actually from Italian pizza place.

I don't know about the rest. I do know a couple of places that do pierogi pizza as Pittsburgh is huge with carbs inside carbs on top of carbs, but I honestly don't know anyplace that puts fries on pizza. Salads, yes.

Heading to Pitt this weekend actually. Mineos all day

You're not really from CT are you?

Reaction Score
Here's the kicker - that first photo is actually from Italian pizza place.

I don't know about the rest. I do know a couple of places that do pierogi pizza as Pittsburgh is huge with carbs inside carbs on top of carbs, but I honestly don't know anyplace that puts fries on pizza. Salads, yes.

You're not really from CT are you?

Ha I am from CT, I go to Pitt a lot to see in-laws. Is there a better pizza in Pitt that I am not aware of? If so, I need to know asap.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ha I am from CT, I go to Pitt a lot to see in-laws. Is there a better pizza in Pitt that I am not aware of? If so, I need to know asap.

I'm just surprised anyone from CT would actually be enthusiastic about Mineos. It's not horrible, but I think you can do better. As I lived mostly in Ffld Cty, I'd put it maybe a notch below Letitia's in Norwalk. But it is one of the Pittsburgh Holy Trinity along with Aiello's and Fiori's. I find the crust/cheese/sauce ratio on all of them is far too cheesy and saucy. Of those three, I prefer Fiori's. However, for takeout, I think the best now is between Slice on Broadway (Beechview and outside PNC Park) and Pizza A'Badamo (Mt. Lebanon and North Side).

Unfortunately two really good places bit the dust during the pandemic, Claudio's, which was my go-to for takeout and Taglia, which did an excellent Roman street pizza.

Still, there are lots of solid sit-down places for Neapolitan and designer pies, but you can't sit down in many of them at the moment. Dinette in E. Liberty is top of that heap (appears they're closed for the pandemic). I live in the South Hills, so I know more about places down here. For Neapolitan style, you can eat outside at Il Pizzaiolo or Cucina Bella. You've also got Pizzeria Divide in the northern end of The Strip, which I haven't been to yet, but people I trust love it. You can get porchetta as a topping. And, there's a place in Peters Twp that bought their recipes from Harry's in W. Hartford. Naturally, it's called Harry's. I used to go there a lot until Claudio's and Badamo opened.

And just for something different, one of our two Detroit-style joints is still operating, Iron Born, in The Strip and in Millvale. It's different, but it's actually pretty damned good. But the ricotta/lemon pizza I love isn't on the current menu.

Reaction Score
I believe this is one of the signs of the apocalypse:

frenchfrypizza.jpg
Grew up in New Haven and kind of a pizza snob but I got to admit fries on a pizza doesn't sound horrible.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Grew up in New Haven and kind of a pizza snob but I got to admit fries on a pizza doesn't sound horrible.
It was the ranch that queered that pie, and signaled the end of the world.

Like @storrsroars , I'm not big on carbs on carbs in general, but a notable exception is the BAR mashed potato bacon pizza (which I prefer red). I love the way they do that pie.

We had Sally's for office lunch on Tuesday and a couple co-workers ordered their white potato pie, which has sliced potatoes (and onion, mozz, parm and rosemary). I was not a fan.

I could see myself enjoying a slice or two of a french fry pie if done well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
We had Sally's for office lunch on Tuesday and a couple co-workers ordered their white potato pie, which has sliced potatoes (and onion, mozz, parm and rosemary). I was not a fan.

The irony is that onion, mozz, parm, and rosemary (and add bacon) on a baked potato sounds amazing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The irony is that onion, mozz, parm, and rosemary (and add bacon) on a baked potato sounds amazing.
They claim that it's one of their specialty pizzas, but until yesterday I had never known of anyone who ordered one.

I'm not big on rosemary, and I don't like onions as a condiment or pizza topping (except pickled red onions or carmelized onions as condiments, or Vidalia onions on a pizza).

But yeah, otherwise I'll take potato, bacon and cheese in just about any form or combination.

Reaction Score

if you can put a slab of fried eggplant on a pie, why not fries right?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Has anyone here bought an uncooked pizza? I'm seeing a few local shops and places like Big Y offer uncooked pizzas at a big discount.

Has anyone gone this route? Worth doing?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Update from the "coming soon" Sally's location in the SoNo Collection in Norwalk. It will be in the spot I thought, along West Avenue, across from Jacobs Pickles (also coming soon). So you won't have to enter the mall to get into the restaurant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom