OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 182 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Can we go back to this being a thread about pizza instead of to the d**k measuring contest that appears to be happening? Why argue over someone else's personal taste?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I'm back on track @Magic32. Apologies.

Does anyone here find that if you get carried away with toppings, it detracts from the pizza? I've been places where a 1-2 topping pizza is awesome, but if you get everything including the kitchen sink on it, it's never good.

Does anyone know of a place that serves a GOOD pie, with mucho toppings?

Reaction Score

Does anyone here find that if you get carried away with toppings, it detracts from the pizza? I've been places where a 1-2 topping pizza is awesome, but if you get everything including the kitchen sink on it, it's never good.

Modern’s Italian Bomb cooked well done (Sausage, pepperoni, bacon, garlic, mushroom, onion, pepper, and mozz).

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I'm with you. IMO that's the beauty of Bufalina. They let a few good, fresh, seasonal ingredients sing. Elegance. To paraphrase what Anthony Bourdain noted when writing about "Primo," the fishmonger at Eric Ripert's Le Bernadin, you are paying more what's not on the pie than for what is on the pie.

That said, when I am in the mood for a loaded pie, Modern's Italian Bomb scratches that itch: bacon, sausage, pepperoni, mushroom, peppers, onion (not for me though) and garlic with mozz. Lives up to its name.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Modern’s Italian Bomb cooked well done (Sausage, pepperoni, bacon, garlic, mushroom, onion, pepper, and mozz).
That said, when I am in the mood for a loaded pie, Modern's Italian Bomb scratches that itch: bacon, sausage, pepperoni, mushroom, peppers, onion (not for me though) and garlic with mozz. Lives up to its name.
Brother!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm with you. IMO that's the beauty of Bufalina.
BBBC7CC0-2330-4C44-982E-1D703E6545EB.gif

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Can we go back to this being a thread about pizza instead of to the d**k measuring contest that appears to be happening? Why argue over someone else's personal taste?

1) everything is personal taste, from politics to religion to pizza, so you might as well suggest that nobody should argue anything.
2) celebration of mediocrity and bad taste will only lead to society's decline.
3) more practically for the BY, somebody needs to protect us from Blaze Pizza gaining traction.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Guilty as charged, but do you not find that Otto, by contrast, frequently tries to do too much with its pies and they are overloaded, which dulls the impact of the individual ingredients?
buffalina is 10x better than Otto.

That ain’t the point ;p

Reaction Score
Article/review on Zenelli Pizzeria on Wooster St in New Haven:

>>Wooster Street’s newest pizza has Albanian roots and Brooklyn chutzpah, but it comes straight from Naples, Italy, and the Zeneli brothers intend to keep it that way. This audacious foursome are the owners of Zeneli Pizzeria e Cucina Napoletana, which opened in the epicenter of New Haven pizzadom last summer.<<

Reaction Score
I had something at the Dog Watch Cafe in Stonington the other day that they call a Pizza Salad. It was indescribably good, as were the other two appetizers we got there. I'm certainly not advocating it as the best pizza in Connecticut as I'm not even sure really qualifies as pizza, but I'm saying that this place is a must-hit place if you are in the Mystic Stonington area. It's also right on the water, which is nice if that's your type of thing.

Reaction Score
Article/review on Zenelli Pizzeria on Wooster St in New Haven:

>>Wooster Street’s newest pizza has Albanian roots and Brooklyn chutzpah, but it comes straight from Naples, Italy, and the Zeneli brothers intend to keep it that way. This audacious foursome are the owners of Zeneli Pizzeria e Cucina Napoletana, which opened in the epicenter of New Haven pizzadom last summer.<<
I'm trying this!!!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

no. but if you want a great pie -Grand Special, Grande Apizza, from the boss mikey nuzz at location #1. it's like having donatello make a coffee mug for you. just the right amount of everything. bellissimo.

Reaction Score
I had something at the Dog Watch Cafe in Stonington the other day that they call a Pizza Salad. It was indescribably good, as were the other two appetizers we got there. I'm certainly not advocating it as the best pizza in Connecticut as I'm not even sure really qualifies as pizza, but I'm saying that this place is a must-hit place if you are in the Mystic Stonington area. It's also right on the water, which is nice if that's your type of thing.
There is also the The Dog Watch BBQ on Rte 1 just outside of Mystic proper heading toward Westerly. They share menu items like the pizza salad. Out door dining. One of the better calamari I've had. Sorry for not on pizza topic.

Reaction Score
Heading to the Bronx tomorrow. Any pizza recommendations? Can always hit Colony on way home but thought some might have tips. Also planning to stop at Casa Della Mozzarella.

Reaction Score
Heading to the Bronx tomorrow. Any pizza recommendations? Can always hit Colony on way home but thought some might have tips. Also planning to stop at Casa Della Mozzarella.
Good call on Casa Della Mozzarella. No suggestion on pizza in the immediate area but a little over a block down on Arthur Avenue heading towards the hospital is Madonia Brothers Bakery - they have the best Sicilian olive bread (and other baked goodies) to die for. Take a peak.

Reaction Score
There's so much awesome Italian food on Arthur Avenue I wouldn't bother with pizza. Get the Casa mozzarella sandwich. Go to Enzo's and get clams and calamari.

Reaction Score
There's so much awesome Italian food on Arthur Avenue I wouldn't bother with pizza. Get the Casa mozzarella sandwich. Go to Enzo's and get clams and calamari.
I agree, Full Moon Pizza is very good, but the Italian food outweighs the pizza game on Arthur Ave.

Reaction Score
Tomorrow's heat wave plan: no A/C on the bottom floor of our house, so no desire to heat it up with cooking. Heading to Zuppardi's for the first time. Fresh clam pizzas on tap.

We're a half hour away: how long is a typical take-out order from Zupp's?

Reaction Score
Only took me about a year after moving, but finally tried Colony and it absolutely lives up to all the hype

I had Colony tonight, was not their best batch. I still prefer Rikos and I'll tell you why. Rikos has wings and Colony is just pizza.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Tomorrow's heat wave plan: no A/C on the bottom floor of our house, so no desire to heat it up with cooking. Heading to Zuppardi's for the first time. Fresh clam pizzas on tap.

We're a half hour away: how long is a typical take-out order from Zupp's?
You can call in the afternoon and set the pick-up for any time you like. You pull into their lot and wait for them to call to tell you that your order is ready, then you pull in front in one of three spots in a lane bordered by traffic cones and wait for the masked employee to deliver your pies and take your credit card. S/he comes back in a minute, you sign and drive away.

In my three times doing take-out there during the last three months they’ve been on-time or close enough.

NB: Their Caesar is decent if you’re looking to add a salad.

In addition to fresh clam, the house-made sausage pie is also great; as is the escarole and bean pie. Trust me, the latter is so much better than you expect. Not soggy at all somehow.

PS: Get the pies uncut and then cut them yourself after reheating at home.

Reaction Score
I had Colony tonight, was not their best batch. I still prefer Rikos and I'll tell you why. Rikos has wings and Colony is just pizza.
I thought the pizza was better than Rikos, but Rikos delivers so will still end up getting that more often

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom