OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 231 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Since the day they opened their doors, the two must-have items there have been the mashed potato and bacon pie and the salad.
My favorite pie in NH! With a close second going to Modern.

Reaction Score
A former neighbor who was born and raised in New Haven introduced me to Pepe’s . We used to get together with our families several times a year on a Friday and make the 25 mile trip to New Haven. Sometimes him and I would drive down and bring a Pepe’s back up but reheated is not the same. Pepe’s is IMO hands down is the best pizza anywhere. My neighbor retired and moved to God forsaken Texas and soon after died from lack of any pizza fit for human consumption.
I’d take Modern or Zuppardis over Pepe’s any day. Pepe’s was great 30 years ago, not so great nowadays, and the satellite places in Danbury and Fairfield are worse. They slice their sausage thin to save money, don’t have the big sausage chunks like they do at Zupps or Modern. Pepe’s is ok, but for the money you pay I’ll pass nowadays. The Spot had the best pie 30 years ago imho.

Reaction Score
I’d take Modern or Zuppardis over Pepe’s any day. Pepe’s was great 30 years ago, not so great nowadays, and the satellite places in Danbury and Fairfield are worse. They slice their sausage thin to save money, don’t have the big sausage chunks like they do at Zupps or Modern. Pepe’s is ok, but for the money you pay I’ll pass nowadays. The Spot had the best pie 30 years ago imho.
My last time at Pepe’s was 25 years ago about when my New Haven neighbor retired and moved away. He said pizza really stunk in Texas.

Reaction Score
him and I? UConn English major?
Texas thanks you
So do you have nothing to add to the topic we are discussing or are you just bored? We will all be bored tomorrow night since the powers at be have canceled the game with Xavier.

Reaction Score

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Sorry if already posted. Esquire names Mystic establishment best new restaurant 2021 ...pizza

I have not been there yet. Williams Ave. is Rte 1 on the Stonington side. Nana's is behind The Sea Swirl. Same folks who own Oyster Club
Engine Room and Grass & Bone.
ok, first time ever for me to plan a visit to a rest rec here. they never register for me unless the place location is somehow a cool visit.
and not for the za on this one, either. that pic of their bread looked outstanding, so that's my agenda. picnic lunch out at the end of mason's should do the trick.
ur dangerously close to having ur 'farmers card' pulled with talk like this tho,
'Nana's fried-to-order sourdough doughnuts, in flavors like cinnamon sugar, cardamom espresso and savory cacio e pepe, taste like melting cumulus clouds,"
me, and everrone else that i've ever met, have never wondered what 'melting cumulus clouds' taste like. is it different than melting cumulo-nimbus ones? cirrus? nimbo-stratus? how aboot contrails? what do they taste like? lol.

Reaction Score
6F7A95A4-7CB4-4B97-AF49-6EA529A08B7C.jpeg
Has anyone tried the pizza from Atticus Market in New Haven? They don’t make pizza every day and I think they only sell 50 pies when they do. An acquaintance told me he had a spectacular pie from Atticus. Lots of chatter in CT pizza circles about them. I pulled this pic from their website….

Curiouser
Reaction Score
View attachment 72308 Has anyone tried the pizza from Atticus Market in New Haven? They don’t make pizza every day and I think they only sell 50 pies when they do. An acquaintance told me he had a spectacular pie from Atticus. Lots of chatter in CT pizza circles about them. I pulled this pic from their website….
Not yet. Tonight was gonna be the night, but I never made it into New Haven today due to the snow.

Reaction Score
Not yet. Tonight was gonna be the night, but I never made it into New Haven today due to the snow.
Yeah I've been meaning to, but with the holidays and covid and snow there have been a lot of factors keeping me out of the office recently. Hope to make it soon though, definitely promising!

Reaction Score
I didn't even realize there's a place like old Stonington until a friend bought a house there. Connecticut has some unreal places. Until we stayed with them last summer, I didn't even imagine such a place even existed. Has anyone else been out of the loop until recently on the fishing village there?

Reaction Score
I didn't even realize there's a place like old Stonington until a friend bought a house there. Connecticut has some unreal places. Until we stayed with them last summer, I didn't even imagine such a place even existed. Has anyone else been out of the loop until recently on the fishing village there?
It's a great town, I tell everyone out of state to visit it.

Just this Christmas when we were all back visiting CT. from the states we currently live in part of our group was going to visit Mystic and knew nothing about Stonington.

Reaction Score
ok, first time ever for me to plan a visit to a rest rec here. they never register for me unless the place location is somehow a cool visit.
and not for the za on this one, either. that pic of their bread looked outstanding, so that's my agenda. picnic lunch out at the end of mason's should do the trick.
ur dangerously close to having ur 'farmers card' pulled with talk like this tho,
'Nana's fried-to-order sourdough doughnuts, in flavors like cinnamon sugar, cardamom espresso and savory cacio e pepe, taste like melting cumulus clouds,"
me, and everrone else that i've ever met, have never wondered what 'melting cumulus clouds' taste like. is it different than melting cumulo-nimbus ones? cirrus? nimbo-stratus? how aboot contrails? what do they taste like? lol.
Dude! Can I have what ever you took when you wrote your post? Lol! But that bread man.... how can you cut into something like that. A work of art and I'm quite sure it's taaaasty..

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Finally got a break in the rain here in Brookings Oregon so got a chance to fire up my Ooni Koda 16. Interesting fact, semolina will catch fire if used to help slide the crust off the peel. Pretty pleased for my first try.
PXL_20220108_221135720_kindlephoto-690645557.jpg

MTHusky

Reaction Score
Thanks, the cups were something I never got making the pies in the stove oven.

MTHusky

Reaction Score
that's a serious pie right there,looks very balanced proportionally,nice job
Thanks, appreciate that!

Reaction Score
Sorry if already posted. Esquire names Mystic establishment best new restaurant 2021 ...pizza

I have not been there yet. Williams Ave. is Rte 1 on the Stonington side. Nana's is behind The Sea Swirl. Same folks who own Oyster Club
Engine Room and Grass & Bone.
Visited Nana's the other day. Orderd the New England, Bolognese, plus a cheese sheet pizza for the grandkids. IMO New Haven area pies are better. However if you plan on visiting Mystic this would be the place to go for pizza. Parking in summer could be an issue. There are several small business in that block and there will be Sea Swirl traffic too.
Larger parking lot in back of the building. All sheet pizza is Scicilian style and not my preference. Will try their bakery items soon. I have heard good things about a place in Westerly(which has better pies than Mystic) called Mr. Pizza. They are open limited hours in a small space which I am told affects the amount of dough they are able to produce? They are looking for a bigger place.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So I was in Telluride last week and needed to find a place to watch the game on Tuesday night because our condo TV had no cable and only played DVDs, and there was no wi-fi for streaming. Did some googling and asking around for good sports bars and settled on Brown Dog Pizza, which has hundreds of stellar reviews. Of course we were skeptical, but digging deeper we saw that the owner/pizza maker Jeff Smokevich won various national and international pizza-making contests with his Detroit-style pizza. Come to find out he is from Detroit and played football at Michigan (on the same team as Tom Brady).

Anyway, I am happy to report that my first experience with Detroit-style pizza was a smashing success. We got a large and split it half “Brooklyn Bridge” and half “Parma Italia” at the bartender’s suggestion; he said they were the two most popular pies there (and both had won international pizza-making awards). It looked like Sicilian pie, which worried me, because I am not a fan of that style. But whereas Sicilian is thick and dense, this was remarkably light, crispy and tasty. Oh, and their chicken wings were also top notch (and bonus points for finding the game immediately when I asked and putting it on the TV right in front of us at the bar; nice beer and cider selection, too):

Reaction Score
So I was in Telluride last week and needed to find a place to watch the game on Tuesday night because our condo TV had no cable and only played DVDs, and there was no wi-fi for streaming. Did some googling and asking around for good sports bars and settled on Brown Dog Pizza, which has hundreds of stellar reviews. Of course we were skeptical, but digging deeper we saw that the owner/pizza maker Jeff Smokevich won various national and international pizza-making contests with his Detroit-style pizza. Come to find out he is from Detroit and played football at Michigan (on the same team as Tom Brady).

Anyway, I am happy to report that my first experience with Detroit-style pizza was a smashing success. We got a large and split it half “Brooklyn Bridge” and half “Parma Italia” at the bartender’s suggestion; he said they were the two most popular pies there (and both had won international pizza-making awards). It looked like Sicilian pie, which worried me, because I am not a fan of that style. But whereas Sicilian is thick and dense, this was remarkably light, crispy and tasty. Oh, and their chicken wings were also top notch (and bonus points for finding the game immediately when I asked and putting it on the TV right in front of us at the bar; nice beer and cider selection, too):

I’ve posted before the Detroit style at Joeys in WH has skyrocketed up my charts lately. Definitely worth trying.

Reaction Score

Jeff Smokevich needs to open a BBQ restaurant.

Reaction Score

But did they show the game?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom