OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 224 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
The best Apizza in CT is at my house. I have a wood fired oven and a dough recipe which has evolved over the years. I use a sourdough starter which I’ve now had for over 9 years. I ”acquired” it in the Bronx. If anyone wants to discuss pm me.

On the sourdough starter, I don’t think pizza should be made without it. It gives the pizza some much more flavor. I use a minimum 3 day cold ferment to bring out the flavor.
Sounds good. When are we all invited over for dinner? :)

Reaction Score
The best Apizza in CT is at my house. I have a wood fired oven and a dough recipe which has evolved over the years. I use a sourdough starter which I’ve now had for over 9 years. I ”acquired” it in the Bronx. If anyone wants to discuss pm me.

On the sourdough starter, I don’t think pizza should be made without it. It gives the pizza some much more flavor. I use a minimum 3 day cold ferment to bring out the flavor.

I’ve been talking to the owner of Bad Ass Bagles in Norwalk and she uses a sourdough starter for her bagels. Her bagels are awesome, as are her own cream cheeses.
A wood fired oven? I’m jealous. My nephew has a high temp plug in pizza oven which is super quick but I like a crust that is not paper thin and burns. Your wood fired do that? What temp does it run at?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
A wood fired oven? I’m jealous. My nephew has a high temp plug in pizza oven which is super quick but I like a crust that is not paper thin and burns. Your wood fired do that? What temp does it run at?
I'm a big fan of Breville appliances and theirs looks pretty sweet for an electric one, but from the reviews it sounds like it runs too hot for the pizza stone that comes with it because there are a lot of people complaining that the stone cracked very quickly.

I am not in the market for one (I use my Weber gas grill with a Weber pizza stone) but if I was, I would definitely check this one out.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of Breville appliances and theirs looks pretty sweet for an electric one, but from the reviews it sounds like it runs too hot for the pizza stone that comes with it because there are a lot of people complaining that the stone cracked very quickly.

I am not in the market for one (I use my Weber gas grill with a Weber pizza stone) but if I was, I would definitely check this one out.
As I used to demo the things, the main reason the stones crack is that users will put them on a cold surface while still very hot, or will try to clean them with water while still hot.

You can make pretty decent pizzas with it. It's far more efficient than wood to get to 750F+ although you can only do one pizza at a time. You're not going to be able to rotate the pizza w/o losing a ton of temp, so you can get hot spots. And if you want to bake back-to-back pizzas, your last pie better have come off cleanly so nothing is stuck to the stone. If so, scrape it off, don't use a sponge or wet towel. But you'll be looking at more time getting the oven back up to temp.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As I used to demo the things, the main reason the stones crack is that users will put them on a cold surface while still very hot, or will try to clean them with water while still hot.

You can make pretty decent pizzas with it. It's far more efficient than wood to get to 750F+ although you can only do one pizza at a time. You're not going to be able to rotate the pizza w/o losing a ton of temp, so you can get hot spots. And if you want to bake back-to-back pizzas, your last pie better have come off cleanly so nothing is stuck to the stone. If so, scrape it off, don't use a sponge or wet towel. But you'll be looking at more time getting the oven back up to temp.
Yeah I have gotten used to the pizza stone shuffle in between pies on the Weber. I scrape it and pull it off the grill in between back-to-back pies because stone will get too hot otherwise after the first pie, and the bottoms of the subsequent pies will burn before the tops get fully cooked. I don't believe water has ever touched it; and I reapply fresh cornmeal before each pie.

Reaction Score

At what temp are you cooking your pizza on the Weber? Do you think there is any real benefit to the Weber stone vs others?

Reaction Score
That chick is 45 years old. Good God. What a fat has been.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
At what temp are you cooking your pizza on the Weber? Do you think there is any real benefit to the Weber stone vs others?
The hood thermometer on my Weber stopped working almost immediately and I never replaced it so I have never measured the temperature, but I turn all the burners to high, including the sear station, so it ostensibly gets as hot as it is capable of getting, whatever that is.

The only advantage of the Weber pizza stone vs the one I used to use in my oven is that is square instead of round and fits very well on the grill. I will assume, as I gather @storrsroars implied, that most decent pizza stones are created fairly equal in terms of material.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
After a good YK fast from Wednesday eve through Thursday, I walked the streets of Westville as it transitioned to darkness.

At the back end, I ordered a small half red-half white fresh tomato w/mootz, basil, and garlic pie at Ernie's. By the time it was finished baking, I hadn't eaten in more than 25 hours.

I finished 7 of the 8 slices as I walked home in an unexpected light rain, making wordless Cookie Monster noises throughout. While I kept wanting the tomatoes to have a little boost of flavor, I couldn't stop myself from biting into the crackle of the crust and outer underside, so I never got home to add a touch of salt, grated cheese, or crushed red pepper.
The tomatoes created serious flop toward the center, but I just didn't care.

I'll be in Meriden this afternoon to hear some friends playing live music. This might be the day that I give Little Rendezvous a try. My previous two sunset/full moon hikes at Ragged Mountain Preserve in Berlin ended too late to get there before 9pm closing time.

If we can swing the timing & converging from Westville & Stratford, I might introduce my daughter's fiance to New Haven pizza on Sunday with something from Zuppardi's enjoyed as the nearly full moon rises shortly after low tide & sunset in West Haven.

Otherwise, it looks like Tuesday under the tent at Sally's, unless I order from 2 or more places and bring them to where they are staying. (Pre-dawn thinking aloud after seeing my daughter for the first time in 20 months last night.)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I finished 7 of the 8 slices as I walked home...
:eek:
they should change the name of this thread to 'how not to eat.'
lessn ur fighting in the battle of the bulge or sumthin like that, eating significantly while walking is not a recipe for digestive good health. u ever see a chimp or baboon eating while walking around? even they know to sit down, especially after they've missed a meal or two. evolution an all that.
after we listened to the tale of jonah being told to go to mosul, but he panics and tries to sail to portugal, but they toss him into the drink where leviathan swallows him up, then spits him out ashore back where he started from, we all had a lovely dinner of cheese ravioli and marinara at great gramms house. sumbody was wise to the menu, and brought along a jar of grated cheese, cuz that's not usually in great gramms house for her own taste reasons. of course, that person proceeded to make a big speech aboot how it didn't have any 'wood' in it - the great cellulose freak out thing.
people should be more grateful for life, and less grating in life.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

I’ve been talking to the owner of Bad Ass Bagles in Norwalk and she uses a sourdough starter for her bagels. Her bagels are awesome, as are her own cream cheeses.
mr bagel king of Bport and fairdale fame, uses a sourdough for his bagels, as he informed my unc a few years back at a card game. counter to stereotype, my'uns are not big bagel eaters, and no one, but for mebbe a child or two, would ever eat smoked fish, red onion, tomato, and soft cheese on a sugar dusted, cinnamon and raisin bagel.

Reaction Score
I finished 7 of the 8 slices as I walked home...
:eek:
they should change the name of this thread to 'how not to eat.'
lessn ur fighting in the battle of the bulge or sumthin like that, eating significantly while walking is not a recipe for digestive good health. u ever see a chimp or baboon eating while walking around? even they know to sit down, especially after they've missed a meal or two. evolution an all that.
after we listened to the tale of jonah being told to go to mosul, but he panics and tries to sail to portugal, but they toss him into the drink where leviathan swallows him up, then spits him out ashore back where he started from, we all had a lovely dinner of cheese ravioli and marinara at great gramms house. sumbody was wise to the menu, and brought along a jar of grated cheese, cuz that's not usually in great gramms house for her own taste reasons. of course, that person proceeded to make a big speech aboot how it didn't have any 'wood' in it - the great cellulose freak out thing.
people should be more grateful for life, and less grating in life.

Well, the Baboon here , started to eat sitting down , but didn't want to share with his companion so he took a walk and climbed up a tree and then ate it, I guess. Not the sharing type.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The hood thermometer on my Weber stopped working almost immediately and I never replaced it so I have never measured the temperature, but I turn all the burners to high, including the sear station, so it ostensibly gets as hot as it is capable of getting, whatever that is.

The only advantage of the Weber pizza stone vs the one I used to use in my oven is that is square instead of round and fits very well on the grill. I will assume, as I gather @storrsroars implied, that most decent pizza stones are created fairly equal in terms of material.
Hood thermometers are useless anyway.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
mr bagel king of Bport and fairdale fame, uses a sourdough for his bagels, as he informed my unc a few years back at a card game. counter to stereotype, my'uns are not big bagel eaters, and no one, but for mebbe a child or two, would ever eat smoked fish, red onion, tomato, and soft cheese on a sugar dusted, cinnamon and raisin bagel.
Bagel King's output is on tomorrow's menu, and, btw, thank you for the caring concern in your quirky missive above.

I start almost every day with a breakfast that provides me with joy & nutrition. Sometimes, I eat for pure pleasure, like pizza in the rain.

Similarly, a lot of people write with an emphasis on clarity that aims for reader comprehension. And some write for, well, who can say?

Reaction Score

I mean to each his own, but I would never demolish an expensive oven just because it had a broken stone.

Reaction Score
My sister lives in Avon and says this is their favorite place in town, especially their pepperoni.

But the New Haven apizzza places--which they still visit frequently--are in no danger of being dethroned.

ETA: Trigger warning for @storrsroars :

INSALATA PIE

Mixed greens, grape tomato, fresh mozzarella, kalamata olives, red onion, roasted red peppers & balsamic vinaigrette on a garlic herb pie crust

And trigger warning for me!

CHICKEN BACON RANCH

Buttermilk ranch covered crust with grilled chicken, crumbled bacon & red onion
I live in avon and probably the best

Reaction Score
My take: overrated and overpriced bagels. Not worth the long wait in line plus their customer service rubs me the wrong way.

I’d go to Liz Sue everyday if the week over that place.

However, BAB’s cream cheese is bomb.

I also miss Sugar and Olives. Was one of my favorite places to eat in Norwalk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom