OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 209 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Modern, Pepe’s and Sally’s have all gone downhill by varying degrees in my opinion. Only place I would still visit in the New Haven area is Zuppardis.
Funny. I would say the only place I won’t go is Zuppardis. To me that isn’t New Haven apizza.

Reaction Score
Nonsense
Being over rated and over priced is not nonsense. It’s still decent pizza but not much better if at all, than other pizza places throughout the state that make a similar pie nowadays for as much as 50% less. I think $35 for a large pizza with two toppings at Sally’s is outrageous, not to mention driving an hour to New Haven.

Last edited:

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Being over rated and over priced is not nonsense. It’s still decent pizza but not much better if at all, than other pizza places throughout the state that make a similar pie nowadays for as much as 50% less. I think $35 for a large pizza with two toppings at Sally’s is outrageous, not to mention driving an hour to New Haven.
Here you go buddy. This one will deliver to you. $6.49 for a large: https://littlecaesars.com/en-us/

Reaction Score
Here you go buddy. This one will deliver to you. $6.49 for a large: https://littlecaesars.com/en-us/
Thanks wise @ ss, there’s a few places in Derby,Shelton, Ansonia that are just as good as NH, and are cheaper. If I want to drive I’ll head right by NH to Buffalina in Guilford or Jimmies in Milford. If I have to go to NH, I’ll head for Ernies or Zuppardis.

Reaction Score
Had Zuppardis this weekend. It was fantastic.
It’s the only place in Greater New Haven that still hasn’t dropped a notch or two (in Pepe’s case, three notches) and hasn’t raised their prices. Also Zupp’s is the only place in the state that still makes their own sausage.

Reaction Score
It’s the only place in Greater New Haven that still hasn’t dropped a notch or two (in Pepe’s case, three notches) and hasn’t raised their prices. Also Zupp’s is the only place in the state that still makes their own sausage.
Well I paid about $100 with tip for 2 Clam and a Sausage. So no need to raise the price. Glad they had a loan officer on site

Reaction Score
Thanks wise @ ss, there’s a few places in Derby,Shelton, Ansonia that are just as good as NH, and are cheaper. If I want to drive I’ll head right by NH to Buffalina in Guilford or Jimmies in Milford. If I have to go to NH, I’ll head for Ernies or Zuppardis.
Lol Jimmy's in Milford. I've eaten it many of times having lived in Milford and I wouldn't put it in top 20 of the shoreline

Roseland is the only place comparable to NH

Reaction Score
Lol Jimmy's in Milford. I've eaten it many of times having lived in Milford and I wouldn't put it in top 20 of the shoreline

Roseland is the only place comparable to NH
I was thinking of Roseland when I mentioned the Valley, but have always liked Jimmies and Buffalina too. I’d take a $15 Jimmies plain large pie any day over the Pepe’s medium sausage & mushroom pie in I had in Danbury last week, which cost me $25.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well I paid about $100 with tip for 2 Clam and a Sausage. So no need to raise the price. Glad they had a loan officer on site
But you ate well. If at Sally’s add about 30-35% to your bill, at Modern about 20%. Forget Pepe’s. You’re not paying mucho bucks for a quality pie, you’re paying the “New Haven” pizza premium. Lol

Reaction Score
Yes. On Prime now. It’s a really well-done documentary about the origins of New Haven Apizza with a sole focus on Sally’s, Pepe’s and Modern.
Prime prices too. I’d rather buy a Pro Kitchen Aid mixer, a big piece of marble, and a decent pizza stone.

Reaction Score
I haven't tried it but does Apate's rank? Heard good things.

So tempted, but can't ever get there after passing Sallys and Pepes.

Reaction Score
But you ate well. If at Sally’s add about 30-35% to your bill, at Modern about 20%. Forget Pepe’s. You’re not paying mucho bucks for a quality pie, you’re paying the “New Haven” pizza premium. Lol
Why would you come to a best pizza in CT thread and complain about paying $20 for a pizza at Pepe’s or Sally’s?

Reaction Score
Why would you come to a best pizza in CT thread and complain about paying $20 for a pizza at Pepe’s or Sally’s?
$20???? Are you high? Try $30, $35 or even $40 for a freshly shucked large white clam pie. Three large pie’s with various toppings to feed a large family costs $100 or more. You’re not paying for the best pizza in the state you’re paying for the perception of such. Overrated and overpriced.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
because 'best' (the thread title) is a relative, and not an absolute, description, so therefore if someone who weighs in decides that cost is part of their criteria to decide on 'best,' then obviously it is a valid observation for them. those restaurants named by the poster are a ripoff, according to my criteria for deciding on a product and it's price, in my decision on 'best.' im guessing that you don't have a couple of 'pizza' ovens, both indoors and outdoors, kicking around ur house to make za equal to, or better than, those places.

Reaction Score
Got the Detroit pizza from Joey’s in West Hartford tonight. Disclaimer: I’ve never had real Detroit pizza.

Really enjoyed it. A lot. Thick and fluffy but chewy with a burned cheese edge. Really good sauce and minimal cheese on top. Is even go as far as saying it was worth a bit of a drive. Unique to anything I know is available around here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom