OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 198 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For those of you who labelled HH as a true conservative/Trumper and doubted his assertions that he's crossed party lines on occasion, his last post should leave no doubt about him working the entire spectrum.

Very German. So you know he sympathizes with Aryan Nation.

Totally Trumpian.

But wait, that's a liberal vegetable, and a high priced weed that Obama likes to boot!

And not only is he liberal, he's limousine liberal!

Well done. I'm pretty much a cheese and pepperoni or sausage guy. I even like....[gasps in Spanish.gif] Hawaiian.

Reaction Score
If you like Mike’s I’d also suggest Papa’s in Milford. When on I Ike their pies a lot. Both Mikes and Papas could be end of crust better but otherwise solid options

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you like Mike’s I’d also suggest Papa’s in Milford. When on I Ike their pies a lot. Both Mikes and Papas could be end of crust better but otherwise solid options
The cone grinders are the better option at Papa's imo, but their pizza is definitely solid.

Reaction Score
The cone grinders are the better option at Papa's imo, but their pizza is definitely solid.
I like the idea of the cone grinder but their chicken cutlet they use is just ok. Olde World make a really good chicken parm

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I like the idea of the cone grinder but their chicken cutlet they use is just ok. Olde World make a really good chicken parm
Agreed. They could up their cutlet quality.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well done. I'm pretty much a cheese and pepperoni or sausage guy. I even like....[gasps in Spanish.gif] Hawaiian.
No shame in the Hawaiian imo. I add jalapeños or cherry peppers. I like the sweet, spicy and smoky combo.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
No shame in the Hawaiian imo. I add jalapeños or cherry peppers. I like the sweet, spicy and smoky combo.
I could never stomach Hawaiian until i tried a local one with a bunch of roasted jalapenos on it. Shocking difference.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Nice. I haven't been to Hubbard Park in decades. I have been Little Rendezvous twice and think it's definitely a worthy stop for Connecticut pizza nuts.

Interesting order by Caplan; I do agree that, at their best, Sally's is the best for my preferences because of the oily char.

How did you remember the order? That's some serious "person-woman-man-camera-TV" recall ability you got there.
I'll take the compliment, but also offer that other than starting with Sally's instead of Pepe's, and next mentioning Modern because it's in the Big 3 that "Pizza, a Love Story" limits itself to, there's pretty good chance that he was doing an east to west visual memory scan, and went in order...which is how I just recalled while writing this that he also mentioned BAR, after Modern and before Ernie's.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I could never stomach Hawaiian until i tried a local one with a bunch of roasted jalapenos on it. Shocking difference.

Seems that would balance the sweetness of the pineapple nicely

Reaction Score
I'm on it. Mrs. 8893 was calling around 11:45 while waiting for our daughter in her dentist appointment and she finally got through around noon. Got the special and three other pies. I will report back.

Tell me about Coal and Daises. I don't think I've seen it mentioned here before. I just looked it up and it looks like it's in that industrial spot near the Chowder Pot that has already been two other restaurants in like the past three years? Seems to be a jinxed spot. I was in both prior establishments a couple times each--one was a burger joint and I can't remember what the other one was--and they never seemed to get it right; the place has a weird flow about it, like they need a Feng shui consultant.
Coal and Daisies is ok. It’s definitely an above average pie. I think the closest comparison is probably Da Legna, but slightly less good and with less good combinations. Upside, they deliver and are on Grubhub and arrive about 30 min after I order.

In this case though, I went with Zeneli. Great per usual, but did the light bake and reheat.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Agreed. They could up their cutlet quality.
Interesting, I had the same thought when I tried it at your recommendation, but didn't mention it because I'd previously struck you as too grumpy about my first visit to Wethersfield Pizza (since uprated through multiple visits).

@imno1 's recommendation toward Olde World for chicken cutlet is very welcome news. Very much enjoy their pizza, and recommend it as a convenient Wilbur Cross on-off option for those passing through and wanting take out that showcases its Modern roots well.

And back to Papa's, which location is better, or are they equal? Not sure if they still have their beginning of the week discount coupon going, but if so, it's a good one.

And on the topic of special pricing, the post-COVID reboot of Next Door's Humphrey St. location as Big Green Pizza Truck takeout (same owners) offers a large cheese pizza daily for $10. I've taken to picking up a pie, eating a few slices, and then stacking leftovers in a container in the fridge or freezer for custom topping and a good reheat in the toaster oven. Had some success last week in an air fryer as well.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ok, I have neither had nor considered apples on a pizza, or apples with sausage (except in a stuffing).

I do like apples with smoked gouda, and I could see smoked gouda with sausage, so I am guessing this--like the vast majority of Bufalina's combinations--works, but I am very curious to hear reviews because I don't know if we will get this special before it's gone:
I will definitely get that if they keep it for tomorrow.

I'm kind of over the late fall menu now anyway, so this would be a welcome diversion!
Shut out... couldn't get through on the phone between meetings and they were sold out at 1:45. Now we'll never know if the apple pizza was any good.
I had it once (elsewhere) and it was good. But it's certainly not a red sauce kind of pie. Maybe similar to that one at Buffalina. Apple and sausage is a good pairing anyway.

I'm on it. Mrs. 8893 was calling around 11:45 while waiting for our daughter in her dentist appointment and she finally got through around noon. Got the special and three other pies. I will report back.
The special was amazing. All four pies were A+ but that was our unanimous favorite. Really well balanced and great flavor.

I was a little worried when I arrived to pick up our pies. I was late to begin with, which is rare for me, and then I saw that Matt was not working and there was a new guy (tall, skinny, younger kid) manning the oven. But he absolutely nailed them. We did the light bake, uncut and finished them at home at 450 for five minutes and they were as perfect as you could hope for.

This was our first time with the late fall menu this year, so we did the Funghi, Bolognese and Zucca along with the special. I loved them all. Can’t wait for leftovers tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Lost the Blue trail on the way back down, wrestled w/darkness & a dying-to-dead phone battery, and learned that Little Rendezvous was temporarily closed due to COVID once I got back to my car.

AllTrails is your friend. Just downloaded it and got a email promotion for "AllTrails Pro" for like 15 bucks for a year. With pro it allows you to download the map (with multiple layers - contours, aerial view, etc) and then will show you exactly where you are, on the downloaded map and records your hike (route, distance, elevation gained etc). I find it to be a fun toy - of course you'll still have to make sure your phone is charged.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Intriguing. I'd think banana peppers would be a nice complement.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Intriguing. I'd think banana peppers would be a nice complement.
Yep. Good call. They work well too.

And Canadian bacon is better than ham or bacon IMO.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
For those of you who labelled HH as a true conservative/Trumper and doubted his assertions that he's crossed party lines on occasion, his last post should leave no doubt about him working the entire spectrum.

Very German. So you know he sympathizes with Aryan Nation.

Totally Trumpian.

But wait, that's a liberal vegetable, and a high priced weed that Obama likes to boot!

And not only is he liberal, he's limousine liberal!

yeah but he still voted for him in 2020 just like you and 8893 did in 2016

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Asked my buddy who is related to the owner of Mike's pizza what was better and without hesitation said zuppardis

Case closed
Appreciate the intel, but I’m still intrigued enough to try Mike’s.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As I have said to others, I will kill you if this thread gets cesspooled.
To be honest, I forgot where I was when I posted. I just associate HH with the pool, so it was reflexive. I imagine Tom would just delete the related posts if it comes down to that. I won't mind.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
To be honest, I forgot where I was when I posted. I just associate HH with the pool, so it was reflexive. I imagine Tom would just delete the related posts if it comes down to that. I won't mind.

Lets hope so. I spend way more time here than there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom