OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 186 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Has anyone here bought an uncooked pizza? I'm seeing a few local shops and places like Big Y offer uncooked pizzas at a big discount.

Has anyone gone this route? Worth doing?
Isn't that what frozen pizza is?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Isn't that what frozen pizza is?

I'm not looking for mass produced frozen pizza.

The best option is to buy a pizza from a local shop, and freezing a few slices in separate vacuum sealed bags.

Now I'm seeing Big Y, and a couple local shops offering their pizzas, frozen, but uncooked. It's cheaper than their cooked pizzas, but more expensive than the mass produced crap sold in the freezer section at grocery stores.

My question is to anyone who has bought these frozen pizzas, and cooked th at home - how did they come out? As good?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Has anyone here bought an uncooked pizza? I'm seeing a few local shops and places like Big Y offer uncooked pizzas at a big discount.

Has anyone gone this route? Worth doing?

I buy the uncooked from Costco sometimes and throw them on the grill. Not bad at all.

I also read that one of the fastest growing franchise's is Papa Murphy's who sells you the uncooked pizza so you can cook at home.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I buy the uncooked from Costco sometimes and throw them on the grill. Not bad at all.

I also read that one of the fastest growing franchise's is Papa Murphy's who sells you the uncooked pizza so you can cook at home.

We had a franchise about a mile from me that did uncooked pizza. I can't recall the name. Lasted about 15 months. I never tried it. To me, the whole point of ordering a cooked pizza was that the oven in a pizza place is going to be a helluva lot better than whatever I've got in my kitchen. And even if I could crank my oven over 500F, it'd take 20-30 minutes for the pizza stone to heat up and that's just wasted energy for something I didn't make myself.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I believe this is one of the signs of the apocalypse:

frenchfrypizza.jpg

Putting ranch dressing on anything is a straight up admission of sucking at cooking and having zero imagination. Ranks right up there with putting siracha on anything as a topping. Their condiments, not toppings.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The best option is to buy a pizza from a local shop, and freezing a few slices in separate vacuum sealed bags.

Now I'm seeing Big Y, and a couple local shops offering their pizzas, frozen, but uncooked. It's cheaper than their cooked pizzas, but more expensive than the mass produced crap sold in the freezer section at grocery stores.

My question is to anyone who has bought these frozen pizzas, and cooked th at home - how did they come out? As good?

You kinda answered your question. It's better than the frozen crap, not as good as a cooked pie and overall taste depends on your ability to get oven nice and hot at home.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I tried the Papa Murphy's a few times. Think last time was 2-3 years ago. Nothing special, not horrible. It's gimmicky but plenty of gimmicks have stuck around.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Putting ranch dressing on anything is a straight up admission of sucking at cooking and having zero imagination. Ranks right up there with putting siracha on anything as a topping. Their condiments, not toppings.

As a noted ranch hater, I have to admit, my coleslaw dressing base recipe is 1/2 mayo, 1/3 sour cream and 1/6 ranch. Pretty much the only time I use it, although my wife drowns grape tomatoes with the stuff.

I also discovered a new combo I like this week. I've been buying those Green Giant cauliflower tots as wife needs to avoid carbs (the straight up cauliflower ones suck, but the ones where they mix in other stuff aren't half bad). I airfry them. And as I don't like ketchup and didn't think mayo would do the trick with these, I decided to pour some yum yum sauce on the plate for dipping. I liked it.

Now, while I'm against fries on a pizza. I could be persuaded to try bacon/cheese/cauliflower tots on some kind of flatbread with a garlic cream sauce. Technically not carbs on carbs.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As a noted ranch hater, I have to admit, my coleslaw dressing base recipe is 1/2 mayo, 1/3 sour cream and 1/6 ranch. Pretty much the only time I use it, although my wife drowns grape tomatoes with the stuff.

Well, I'm a triple hater on mayo, ranch and miracle whip. Any of those can be substituted with sour cream, crème fresh, or yogurt. When I do my slaw I do a oil and rice wine vinegar ramen broccoli slaw. Holds up much better than mayo.

Reaction Score
el prez is not the master of pizza . he’s from massachusetts

first off - modern should be 9.5
and lorenzo’s in philly should be 7.8

Reaction Score
el prez is not the master of pizza . he’s from massachusetts

first off - modern should be 9.5
and lorenzo’s in philly should be 7.8

It bugs me that he doesn’t know what a neopolitan pizza is. Or what basil or oregano are.

That said? He has eaten at like 600 pizza places.

Reaction Score
Just found out Piece Pizza, our New Haven style pizza joint has been offering a lobster pizza for the last 2 weeks. I plan on trying it tomorrow night.

Reaction Score
I had Sally’s for the first time last night. Spectacular pie. Great crust, but the sauce is definitely the standout.

Now that I’ve officially had the Big 3 + Zupp’s I’m having a very hard time deciding an order.

I think I’d go...

1) Modern - Italian Bomb
2) Sally’s - Tomatoe Pie (1/2 with Mozz)
3) Zupp’s - Sausage, Pepper, and Mushroom
4) Pepe’s - White Clam

Reaction Score
I had Sally’s for the first time last night. Spectacular pie. Great crust, but the sauce is definitely the standout.

Now that I’ve officially had the Big 3 + Zupp’s I’m having a very hard time deciding an order.

I think I’d go...

1) Modern - Italian Bomb
4) Pepe’s - White Clam
I agree on Sally’s sauce, it’s fantastic. The plain sauce pie to me is their standout pie.

Reaction Score

I think I’d go...

1) Modern - Italian Bomb
4) Pepe’s - White Clam

either zuppardis didn’t have the cache or was too far from downtown new haven back when i was a kid. but pretty every spot was great. i remember a place called naples, of course bar, even cosi had a brick oven and the pizza was really good. gotta be the long island water

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Just moved to Clinton and ordered delivery from Grand Abeets last nite. Large white Margherita was the bomb! Also order eggplnt parm and bruschetta which was excellent as well.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just moved to Clinton and ordered delivery from Grand Abeets last nite. Large white Margherita was the bomb! Also order eggplnt parm and bruschetta which was excellent as well.
Welcome to the neighborhood!

They also do a very nice job with the eggplant and artichoke (red) pie--*almost* as good as Modern's.

PS: They will also deliver to the beach.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I have had the refrigerated super market pizzas from several places. Mixed bag. Some are just too doughy, but they generally fair better than frozen.

Reaction Score
I have had the refrigerated super market pizzas from several places. Mixed bag. Some are just too doughy, but they generally fair better than frozen.
Try American Flatbread. Defrost and I convection bake it at 500 for 5 minutes. It's surprisingly good. I've only had the 3 cheese so I can't vouch for other combos

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Try American Flatbread. Defrost and I convection bake it at 500 for 5 minutes. It's surprisingly good. I've only had the 3 cheese so I can't vouch for other combos

I think I've had that in Burlington. Is it sold outside of Vermont?

Reaction Score
The Pizza farm is apparantly a thing in the mid-west. Naturally one of the pizza farm pioneers is in New Haven.
Seems like a cool conecpt. Anyone been to one ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom