OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 180 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
So I'm working on a Colony knockoff. Use an oiled pan, oil the stretched dough, slide off from pan during final couple minutes of baking and finish directly on rack.

Produced a very thin crust with integrity. Not quite the flavor profile yet, but getting closer.
View attachment 54590

I didn't have a ruler handy, but the crust thickness is slightly more than the edge of a quarter, but less than a quarter and dime together.

I'm impressed with the pie looks very good. Nice burnt edges on the pepperoni's too, nice. Also impressed with the Skippy's PB in the background, only way to go!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm impressed with the pie looks very good. Nice burnt edges on the pepperoni's too, nice. Also impressed with the Skippy's PB in the background, only way to go!
Thanks! Still some adjustments to make... dough still a bit too chewy for bar pie style, but much better than when I started working on it last year.

That's my wife's pb. Now, can you identify the blurry bottle in the middle? I'm confident @HuskyHawk and @8893 can...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks! Still some adjustments to make... dough still a bit too chewy for bar pie style, but much better than when I started working on it last year.

That's my wife's pb. Now, can you identify the blurry bottle in the middle? I'm confident @HuskyHawk and @8893 can...
Lagavulin 16!

And I suspected that wasn’t your PB. I’m all about the all-natural super chunky, usually Teddie.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So I'm working on a Colony knockoff. Use an oiled pan, oil the stretched dough, slide off from pan during final couple minutes of baking and finish directly on rack.

Produced a very thin crust with integrity. Not quite the flavor profile yet, but getting closer.
View attachment 54590

I didn't have a ruler handy, but the crust thickness is slightly more than the edge of a quarter, but less than a quarter and dime together.
Big fan of Colony so please let us know when you perfect the flavor profile.

Reaction Score
My wife has been making delicious homemade pizzas for years. She is always tweaking her dough recipe. We are thin crust fans and use many different toppings on the pies but this spinach and sausage might be my favorite. I almost always order well done with light cheese when we are out.
IMG_2012.jpg

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
OPENING DAY SALLY'S DINING IN

This might be a two-part before & after post, as I'm sitting at one of a half-dozen plastic picnic tables beneath a large white canopy, with nine additional tables scattered throughout the parking lot.

In the far corner is a fancy, trailer-type porta-john, and a regular green one too. They've got social distancing spacing stickers on the asphalt.

At the entrance, there's a bar w/beer & soda, plus bagged plastic utensil setups, paper plates, napkins, and small containers of crushed red pepper and grated cheese, plus Small boxes for leftovers.

Any minute, I'll get a ½ bacon & mootz and ½ plain tomato pie. They are currently only selling Mediums, but may soon add Smalls.

There's also the walk-up takeout table that has already been pictured here, where you can order, but most people have called in and are simply picking up. Many people also pull up in their vehicles for curbside pickup. If you order at the door, they'll give a time estimate.

Starting at 11:30 daily, you can order, pay, and pick your time for pickup at sallystogo.com OR you can phone in the order. There are currently 9 phone lines that roll over, so there are fewer Busy signals, but it is possible that Hold/Wait times could be as much as a half hour, and it was suggested to hang up if the phone ringing time exceeds 30 minutes.

They've dropped doing their own deliveries. That didn't work. They are fiddling with everything and trying to add new things in measures fashion.

All of these 'data points' come from an unrushed conversation I had with manager, takeout table, and waitress all friendly/helpful. As with my other take-out and dine-on visits since last Labor Day, this is a more fully staffed and welcoming version of Sally's. And with pizza I have consistently enjoyed more than Pepe's. YMMV.

I say that as someone who recognized & accepted it as the quirky family business it was, going back to when Sally was there. I always loved the pizza, but it almost always was conventially inconvenient, and required going alone for takeout or with someone else who would be 'open-minded' about how long it would take to stand in line, get to a table, have your order taken, and receive your order. As a consequence, I very rarely visited over a 30 year period, and cherished the couple times a friend of a friend called and got us pizza to go as easily as you'd get it anywhere else.

Any errors are from my short term memory back in the car after the meal when I proofread and added more info.

If you choose to eat there, you enter the parking lot as though you are entering a restaurant, stopping at the bar where the waitress will seat you. Again, it was Day 1, so things might change.

Because it was uncrowded, they were totally OK when, after I took a short walk during my projected wait time, I asked if the pie I'd ordered To Go could be eaten there.

Beer selection was as follows:

Screenshot_20200524-212023.png

(edited typos Monday morning)

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
PART 2, EATING AT SALLY'S

Not much to add, but wanted to include a picture of the delicious pie. My stopping by had been strictly for recon purposes on my way back home from Lighthouse Pt. But it was too easy to order and stay and bring home leftovers, so that's what I did.

The entire experience was low key, friendly, organized, and delicious.

Oh yeah, you must wear a mask to enter the dining area. Once you are inside the dining area, you may remove the mask. Health department rules, so don't be like the few patrons who gave the very sweet waitress Bella a hard time today.

For 1st day, (again, at low capacity), no hitches.

I just ate a final, lukewarm piece in the car before heading home after finishing writing. YUM.

Screenshot_20200524-213757.png

Reaction Score
Was told Sallys took the space across the street where the comedy club was.

Reaction Score
PART 2, EATING AT SALLY'S

Not much to add, but wanted to include a picture of the delicious pie. My stopping by had been strictly for recon purposes on my way back home from Lighthouse Pt. But it was too easy to order and stay and bring home leftovers, so that's what I did.

The entire experience was low key, friendly, organized, and delicious.

Oh yeah, you must wear a mask to enter the dining area. Once you are inside the dining area, you may remove the mask. Health department rules, so don't be like the few patrons who gave the very sweet waitress Bella a hard time today.

For 1st day, (again, at low capacity), no hitches.

I just ate a final, lukewarm piece in the car before heading home after finishing writing. YUM.

View attachment 54679
I moved to Florida 6 years ago, you have no idea how great that pizza looks!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did Sally's curbside pickup for family dinner last night. I got there around five minutes early for my pickup time and the pies were around fifteen minutes late coming out, but otherwise easy and uneventful. I would still avoid it like the plague on a Friday because I think the chance of a clusterfark increases exponentially, but I'd definitely go back any other time.

The pies were tremendous, except the flavor of the fresh tomato and basil pie was good not great. I think Modern does a better job with that pie. Could also be the tomatoes at this time of year; but I also expected more garlic.

Red pie with mozz and bacon was the winner as I expected; red pie with mozz and meatballs (first time I've had that topping there) also very good.

For me, the crust was the best. If pressed, I'd have to give it an edge above all the others on that alone. There is something about the oily char they get on the ends of their crusts that just puts them over the top for my tastes. If I could get the eggplant and artichoke heart toppings from Modern and get them cooked on a Sally's pie, that would probably be the perfect New Haven pie for me.

Mrs. 8893 and the girls thought it was a little too much char and they generally prefer a little softer crust, but they still liked it plenty. Looking forward to leftovers for dinner tonight.

Reaction Score
Did Sally's curbside pickup for family dinner last night. I got there around five minutes early for my pickup time and the pies were around fifteen minutes late coming out, but otherwise easy and uneventful. I would still avoid it like the plague on a Friday because I think the chance of a clusterfark increases exponentially, but I'd definitely go back any other time.

The pies were tremendous, except the flavor of the fresh tomato and basil pie was good not great. I think Modern does a better job with that pie. Could also be the tomatoes at this time of year; but I also expected more garlic.

Red pie with mozz and bacon was the winner as I expected; red pie with mozz and meatballs (first time I've had that topping there) also very good.

For me, the crust was the best. If pressed, I'd have to give it an edge above all the others on that alone. There is something about the oily char they get on the ends of their crusts that just puts them over the top for my tastes. If I could get the eggplant and artichoke heart toppings from Modern and get them cooked on a Sally's pie, that would probably be the perfect New Haven pie for me.

Mrs. 8893 and the girls thought it was a little too much char and they generally prefer a little softer crust, but they still liked it plenty. Looking forward to leftovers for dinner tonight.

I laughed, I cried, but mostly I thoroughly enjoyed your review. What's that old saying about sometimes a cigar is not just a cigar? I feel that way about New Haven Pizza. Every experience is potentially a special occasion.

Reaction Score
Picked up at Pepe's Manchester for me and my wife but also dropped off a large pie for my sone and his GF yesterday evening since I was driving around. Easy pick up, called while driving paid over the phone added a tip so didn't have to handle money - had a pick up at the front door only waited maybe 5-10 minutes over my due time, she was very nice and it was quick.

Pizza was good, not great not like New Haven this time. But a lot better than anything I can pick up in my area that's for damn sure.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I just had what I thought was the best pie ever. Artichoke Basil's in W. Hartford makes a spinach artichoke pizza. UNREAL.

Besides that, I love the Sweet Pea Pizza at First & Last in Hartford, and the BBQ chicken pizza (hold the onions) from Village Pizza in Old Wethersfield.

Reaction Score
I just had what I thought was the best pie ever. Artichoke Basil's in W. Hartford makes a spinach artichoke pizza. UNREAL.

Besides that, I love the Sweet Pea Pizza at First & Last in Hartford, and the BBQ chicken pizza (hold the onions) from Village Pizza in Old Wethersfield.

A BBQ Chicken reference just ruined the credibility, Sparky. What next? California Pizza Kitchen?

Reaction Score
I forgot, you’re pizza opinion is God. And you’re back to trolling me? Preference is preference. I bet you like terrible ice cream flavors.

I feel pretty safe saying 180 pages of comments would support the BBQ Chicken being a rookie call. Not just me.

Maybe you should try one of those stuffed crust numbers from Papa Johns next. With a side of cheesy garlic ooey gooey dippin strips!

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
@Deepster I have a life. I’ll let you read the whole thread and give me updates. And I don’t subscribe to the idea of taking others people’s preferences and tastes. I don’t believe in movie reviews. I make my own decision. If liking the BBQ chicken pizza at Village is a rookie move, call me The Rook.

Reaction Score
@Deepster I have a life. I’ll let you read the whole thread and give me updates. And I don’t subscribe to the idea of taking others people’s preferences and tastes. I don’t believe in movie reviews. I make my own decision. If liking the BBQ chicken pizza at Village is a rookie move, call me The Rook.

I’ll leave it at this.

BBQ Chicken pizza is the Goodwin Park of pizzas. Have at it, sporto.

Reaction Score
[
@Deepster I have a life. I’ll let you read the whole thread and give me updates. And I don’t subscribe to the idea of taking others people’s preferences and tastes. I don’t believe in movie reviews. I make my own decision.

If you don’t take other peoples preferences, why should we take yours?

Reaction Score
Please don’t actually. I don’t want you showing up at my spots.

When I was ten, I’d go to First and Last and pick up shells and meatballs for dinner for my family. There was no pizza place on the right. It was only the thin tavern on the left with a couple burners with pots bubbling behind the bar.

Next time you go. If there’s a Irish looking kid making the pies, tell Moondog that the Deepster sent you.

Reaction Score
And head over to the Maple across the street for a drink after. You can drop my name there too.

Reaction Score
Ooni pizza maker 932 degrees. 1 minute pizza. My nephew in Albany has one and says it makes the best pizza he ever had. They are about 300 bucks. It also cooks steaks.quick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom