OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 159 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Get out to Brooklyn. Much better than Manhattan. Di Fara, Lucali, F&F, L&B Spumoni Gardens (which I wasn't crazy about but lots of people say it's great), etc.

i've been to a couple of the brooklyn places, including di fara. lucali is on my list of places to go, for sure, but i still stand by my statement. nothing stands up to new haven.

Reaction Score
Two VERY different pizzas.

Brick & Wood is a creative, upscale, quick cook, small-size pizza in the Buffalina, Zeneli's manner, while Roseland is heartier, breadier, traditional with loyal locals & longtimers, and more than just pizza.

Two different experiences as well. Both very good.

A peek at Yelp photos will help, if my descriptions haven't.

Nauti Dolphin, subsequently mentioned, is a well-liked takeout option located at the train station. The pizza is styled more like Roseland, but Roseland to my taste is far superior, and I'd choose Brick & Wood if in Fairfield.
Brick and Wood, very good European Napoli style. Thicker and more doughy than New Haven Style. Roseland is classic New Haven Style Apizza. I prefer Roseland, but Brick and Wood is still excellent.

C

Chief00

Move over New Haven? I'm not familiar with either.
That made an impression on Chief - 2 pizza places from Willimantic out of 8 - a city never known for pizza.
Tony’s has been there for decades and it’s just ok (unless it’s improved recently), especially if you have had a couple of six packs.

Reaction Score
Went to grand opening of Tyler Anderson’s Square Peg Pizza in Glastonbury and thought it was excellent if you are a fan of wood fired pizza.

Reaction Score
Attempting to convert a friend to new haven pizza tomorrow.

What's the best plain cheese pie?

Reaction Score

Seems the general consensus is Modern. But can you really go wrong with Sally's and Pepe's either?

Just be cognizant of their hours. Modern and Sally’s open @ 3p on Sunday. Pepe’s is like 11:00/11:30 if I remember correctly

Reaction Score
Less than 2 weeks ago Sally's shifted to 7 days a week, 11:30-9:30.

Thanks - missed the earlier hours for Sally’s. Must have figured since Pepe’s and Zeneli’s open earlier - they also should.

Reaction Score

Sàlly's would definitely be my pick for a plain cheese. A sausage and mushroom pie would definitely be Zuppardis or Modern. Pepe's, IMO has lost a notch or two in the past few years since the old man passed away, but it still can give a first timer a thrill.

Barstool Pizza Review - Sally's Apizza (New Haven, CT)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Best pie in New Haven is the sausage pie at Modern. I would do Modern or Pepe's. Sally's was worse than them last time I went.

Reaction Score
it's Sunday. Do the trifecta. Start at Sallys for cheese than on to Ppes for clam and finish at Modern for pie of your choice

Reaction Score
Best pie in New Haven is the sausage pie at Modern. I would do Modern or Pepe's. Sally's was worse than them last time I went.

When Sally's is on it's the best of the bunch. Not sure why they can't dial it in so it's that way consistently

Reaction Score
From what?

From dominos. Disgraceful.

Got Modern, Pepe's and Sally's. Just a regular cheese pie--she doesn't like any toppings really. Her rating was

1.) Modern
2.) Pepe's
3.) Sally's

Sally's was an off day. really good flavor in the sauce and cheese, dough was just a little wonky. Modern was on--fantastic. Got it well done.

Reaction Score
From dominos. Disgraceful.

Got Modern, Pepe's and Sally's. Just a regular cheese pie--she doesn't like any toppings really. Her rating was

1.) Modern
2.) Pepe's
3.) Sally's

Sally's was an off day. really good flavor in the sauce and cheese, dough was just a little wonky. Modern was on--fantastic. Got it well done.

Did you convert her

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Roseland is heartier, breadier, traditional with loyal locals & longtimers, and more than just pizza.
If I were to use the term "breadier" to describe a pizza, that pie would be as far from Roseland's as could be imagined. Roseland's niche is thin and crispy (the rest of my family thinks it's crispy to a fault), and to me, breadier brings to mind a thick, pan baked pie in the Sicilian mold.

Reaction Score
That made an impression on Chief - 2 pizza places from Willimantic out of 8 - a city never known for pizza.
Tony’s has been there for decades and it’s just ok (unless it’s improved recently), especially if you have had a couple of six packs.
Chief no ones ever accused me of being great at math, but I do believe a couple of 6 packs is a 12 pack no?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If I were to use the term "breadier" to describe a pizza, that pie would be as far from Roseland's as could be imagined. Roseland's niche is thin and crispy (the rest of my family thinks it's crispy to a fault), and to me, breadier brings to mind a thick, pan baked pie in the Sicilian mold.
In the context you provided, my bad. I've neither the inclination nor recent exposure to contradict you, and used the word "breadier" with, say, Ernie's in mind, and solely to denote that I've found it less thin & crispy than Pepe's, Sally's, and Modern. I meant nothing like what the word means to you.

I definitely defer to your being more local, and my only having been there 2 or 3 times since 2010, and about a handful of times in years before that.

My current pizza tour is set to conclude with Roseland and Zuppardi's, and I'll have a better idea what I'm talking about after then.

Meantime, here's picture from last night's Apizza Party at the newly opened Graduate Hotel on Chapel St in New Haven. It was open house and free (plain tomato, cheese only, and pepperoni)
IMG_20191023_185424836.jpg
pizza from the "Big Three" that @husky429 visited. Not surprisingly, Modern traveled to the destination the best of the three.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom