OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 158 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'll bite. Based on all the expansion and new openings, is New England (and NY I suppose) doing for pizza what we did for craft IPA? Is our superior version likely to follow a similar path and become the dominant force in the pizza world? Many will copy, many will fail, some will succeed.

I'm aware of a self proclaimed "New Haven Style" pizza place in Austin. Is "New Haven Style" the new "New England Style" (as applied to IPA)?
Interesting thought, but it's been a loooong time in the making and not so much a faddish thing; and Connecticut would be the only New England state involved. New York and New Jersey are close enough in style and quality that you are basically talking about the Pizza Belt. Except you definitely don't include RI; and I don't include Philly, either.

ETA:

Here's a New Haven-style pizza place that's been in Chicago for more than a decade now; New Haven guy started it:

Piece

Reaction Score
Too inconsistent but one of the best red sauces available, especially in Plainville which is easily the best of the bunch. Thinner more New Haven than the others who are a bit doughy in comparison. Have to admit haven't been to the original in a while.

On this topic it was my 60th yesterday and my son was working near New Haven bought pizzas at each Modern, Sally's, Pepe's, Zuppardi's, Little Rendezvous and brought them home for me/us LOL had them pie cut 12 pieces in each for 60 pieces of pizza. Problem is can't freeze them all so it's a pizza party this week. Love the idea but oh boy pass the Pepto!
Which pizza box was empty first????

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Julian's in Westport has a great mashed potato and bacon pie.

Reaction Score
i went to a fundraiser event tonight that featured pizza from three of the big east rock spots -- modern, da legna, and next door (has that place been mentioned on here? pretty solid.) no surprise, but modern smokes the other two.

i have also been spending a lot of time in new york lately for work. i'm consistently disappointed in the famous pizza places down there. a lifetime spent in new haven county (less 4 years at storrs) has completely spoiled me. new haven has the best pizza in the us, and it's not even really close.

Reaction Score
i have also been spending a lot of time in new york lately for work. i'm consistently disappointed in the famous pizza places down there. a lifetime spent in new haven county (less 4 years at storrs) has completely spoiled me. new haven has the best pizza in the us, and it's not even really close.
Get out to Brooklyn. Much better than Manhattan. Di Fara, Lucali, F&F, L&B Spumoni Gardens (which I wasn't crazy about but lots of people say it's great), etc.

Reaction Score
I'll bite. Based on all the expansion and new openings, is New England (and NY I suppose) doing for pizza what we did for craft IPA? Is our superior version likely to follow a similar path and become the dominant force in the pizza world? Many will copy, many will fail, some will succeed.

I'm aware of a self proclaimed "New Haven Style" pizza place in Austin. Is "New Haven Style" the new "New England Style" (as applied to IPA)?
In grad school I researched and wrote a business plan to open a pizza restaurant in Avon. What I learned is that, regardless of whether I was a CT pizza snob (I mean connoisseur), there aren’t enough of us to support that many great pizza joints. The rank and file pizza consumers - including in the more affluent neighborhoods - are just interested in price and delivery, and have no appreciation of true pizza quality.

Reaction Score
i went to a fundraiser event tonight that featured pizza from three of the big east rock spots -- modern, da legna, and next door (has that place been mentioned on here? pretty solid.) no surprise, but modern smokes the other two.

New York pizza doesn't compare to New Haven pizza. New Haven pizza is an unbelievable treat. I live in Glastonbury and get down to New Haven as often as the schedule permits, it's truly worth the ride.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Interesting thought, but it's been a loooong time in the making and not so much a faddish thing; and Connecticut would be the only New England state involved. New York and New Jersey are close enough in style and quality that you are basically talking about the Pizza Belt. Except you definitely don't include RI; and I don't include Philly, either.

ETA:

Here's a New Haven-style pizza place that's been in Chicago for more than a decade now; New Haven guy started it:

Piece

Piece was started by the Jacobs brothers, who were friends with the Consiglios (Sally's) and who also brought NY Style bagels to the Windy City (Jacobs Brothers Bagels). Piece also brews its own beers, which is a plus. They also are of an age that they played Ultimate in New Haven with the founders of Ashleys Ice Cream... so some serious New Haven cred there...

Reaction Score
I’m glad it was to your liking but if I made a Bufalina meat recommendation I think it would have been speck, which, because of them, is now one of my favorite things on the planet—especially on a pizza. IIRC there is another Bufalina regular here who posted a few pages upthread and his usual is the Margherita with sausage (and extra basil I think).
Oh yeah that's my sausage and extra basil thing. It's my baseline pizza test. Bufalina won't put basil on the Margherita if you add sausage unless you ask, so that part of the request is required.

Reaction Score
I've never been thrilled with any of the "big" NYC pizza places. I have found a lot of amazing places in NYC that are great though, but none of them are NY style, it just isn't for me. Rubirosa is the closest thing to a NY style pizza that I really enjoy.

My favorite pizza in NYC right now San Matteo, on the UES: sanmatteo_panuozzo | Pizza Espresso Bar It's similar to the new place, Zeneli, in New Haven, Neopolitan style, small shop, intimate. But it has more charm and a less flawed crust.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Get out to Brooklyn. Much better than Manhattan. Di Fara, Lucali, F&F, L&B Spumoni Gardens (which I wasn't crazy about but lots of people say it's great), etc.
Yes, Brooklyn better than Manhattan.
Roberta's, Grimaldi's, Totonno's also quite good...and I still like New Haven more.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Oh yeah that's my sausage and extra basil thing. It's my baseline pizza test. Bufalina won't put basil on the Margherita if you add sausage unless you ask, so that part of the request is required.
Most interesting. I thought they forgotten the basil, and I chose against speaking up.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Piece was started by the Jacobs brothers, who were friends with the Consiglios (Sally's) and who also brought NY Style bagels to the Windy City (Jacobs Brothers Bagels). Piece also brews its own beers, which is a plus. They also are of an age that they played Ultimate in New Haven with the founders of Ashleys Ice Cream... so some serious New Haven cred there...
Went to the original Ashley's on College Street, possibly on its opening day (78? 79?), and learned from the owner (Phil Carlin if memory serves) that the place was named for Ashley whippet, a noted Frisbee dog. I gave him a 1776-1976 Bicentennial commemorative (non-)Frisbee flying disk for the wall display when I next returned.

Reaction Score
New Haven top dog. (see what I did there?)

I do like John's in The Village for NY style.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In grad school I researched and wrote a business plan to open a pizza restaurant in Avon. What I learned is that, regardless of whether I was a CT pizza snob (I mean connoisseur), there aren’t enough of us to support that many great pizza joints. The rank and file pizza consumers - including in the more affluent neighborhoods - are just interested in price and delivery, and have no appreciation of true pizza quality.

Yes, and not that long ago the same was true of craft beer. Still most beer is macro lagers. But quality pizza has made inroads from what I can see.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Has anyone been to Brick + Wood in Fairfield? Taking the train up to visit mom and I'm deciding between there and Roseland in Shelton.

EDIT: Also, I will again plug Sasso's in Torrington here. Well worth a trip out of your way – and you can then walk down the street to Anthony's and double your pleasure.

Reaction Score
Has anyone been to Brick + Wood in Fairfield? Taking the train up to visit mom and I'm deciding between there and Roseland in Shelton.

EDIT: Also, I will again plug Sasso's in Torrington here. Well worth a trip out of your way – and you can then walk down the street to Anthony's and double your pleasure.
Actually, the best pizza place in Fairfield IMO is right inside the train station on the south side of the tracks. The Nauti Dolphin. Can't go wrong with Roseland either, but ask for a light bake.

Reaction Score

Roseland is in derby

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Two VERY different pizzas.

Brick & Wood is a creative, upscale, quick cook, small-size pizza in the Buffalina, Zeneli's manner, while Roseland is heartier, breadier, traditional with loyal locals & longtimers, and more than just pizza.

Two different experiences as well. Both very good.

A peek at Yelp photos will help, if my descriptions haven't.

Nauti Dolphin, subsequently mentioned, is a well-liked takeout option located at the train station. The pizza is styled more like Roseland, but Roseland to my taste is far superior, and I'd choose Brick & Wood if in Fairfield.

Reaction Score

ETA:

Piece
They are very good considering it's outside of New England. The co-owner, Rick Neilsen, is the guitarist for Cheap Trick.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom