OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 157 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I never thought I would see the day.

How about this one = Sally's is opening in the new Norwalk Mall (SoNo Collection). Reported in this morning's Hour. Stay tuned for details....

Reaction Score
How about this one = Sally's is opening in the new Norwalk Mall (SoNo Collection). Reported in this morning's Hour. Stay tuned for details....
They're going to expand all around the country, that place has sure changed.

Reaction Score
I figured it would happen soon. But still feels weird.

No to mention an actual Mall opening. In NJ, outside of the 'big' malls like Garden State, Short Hills, and Cherry Hill, malls are in big trouble with 3 or 4 simply vacant now.

Reaction Score

What you might expect for the Courant readership area:

Pleasant Pizza - Willimantic
Little City Pizza - Avon
Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana - New Haven
Camille’s Wood-Fired Pizza - Tolland
Modern Apizza - New Haven
Naples Pizza - Farmington
Rossini’s Italian Restaurant - East Hampton
Tony’s Pizza - Willimantic

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Little City Pizza - Avon

I can only imagine that the reason Main Street Pizza in East Hampton stays open is that they deliver. Inferior in every single way to Rossini's.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Got my first Garden Special (& 1st Tuesday pie) at Sally's last night. Thanks @8893 for the heads up.

My post-Labor Day pizza tour is nearly wrapped up, and I can definitely say that in the 6-week period, my 2 pies from Sally's were better than the 3 from Modern, as well as the 1 from Pepe's.

The order, for this time period alone is:

Sally's
Buffalina
Zeneli's
One6Three
Modern
Next Door
Pepe's
Blind Pig
ReBAR
Artichoke Basille's

I would recommend ALL except Artichoke, and accept partial responsibility on the wording of my Modern & Pepe's orders.

In the case of initial visits to Zeneli's, Blind Pig, and ReBAR, my recon stuck to Margherita for calibration purposes. On subsequent visits, I'll explore toppings & location-specific specials. In the case of Buffalina, I added sausage my first time, as per 8893's recommendation, and did a lot of, "What's that?" asking as pies came out of the oven.

I'm imagining a red pie from Pepe's (had a too crispy "well done" white clam last week; a couple trips to Zuppardi's (sausage, then clam); and then a circle back to my local goto pair Ernie's & Grimaldi's as daylight shortens, and basketball season commences.

Reaction Score

Little City Pizza - Avon

First and Last still not getting the love it deserves smh

Reaction Score

Little City Pizza - Avon
Rossini's? I've had that before and it was good but top 10 good? No way.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Way overrated maybe! :)
As opposed to Sally's? It gets a lot of love here. So much so, that if one were to have it for the first time, it can't possibly live up to expectations set by nearly 4,000 posts. I'll let you all know when I do.

Reaction Score
Got my first Garden Special (& 1st Tuesday pie) at Sally's last night. Thanks @8893 for the heads up.

My post-Labor Day pizza tour is nearly wrapped up, and I can definitely say that in the 6-week period, my 2 pies from Sally's were better than the 3 from Modern, as well as the 1 from Pepe's.

The order, for this time period alone is:

Sally's
Buffalina
Zeneli's
One6Three
Modern
Next Door
Pepe's
Blind Pig
ReBAR
Artichoke Basille's

I would recommend ALL except Artichoke, and accept partial responsibility on the wording of my Modern & Pepe's orders.

In the case of initial visits to Zeneli's, Blind Pig, and ReBAR, my recon stuck to Margherita for calibration purposes. On subsequent visits, I'll explore toppings & location-specific specials. In the case of Buffalina, I added sausage my first time, as per 8893's recommendation, and did a lot of, "What's that?" asking as pies came out of the oven.

I'm imagining a red pie from Pepe's (had a too crispy "well done" white clam last week; a couple trips to Zuppardi's (sausage, then clam); and then a circle back to my local goto pair Ernie's & Grimaldi's as daylight shortens, and basketball season commences.
I don't know if you checked out Roseland or Da Legna yet. They are also very good. I also enjoyed Kitchen Zinc, but it's not New Haven Style, more of a Napoli-European style pizza.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don't know if you checked out Roseland or Da Legna yet. They are also very good. I also enjoyed Kitchen Zinc, but it's not New Haven Style, more of a Napoli-European style pizza.
Yes, I've been to all 3, and like Roseland the best of them. It's a field trip of sorts, and my next meal in Derby will be taking a friend for wings at Dew Drop Inn.

With Modern, One6Three, and Next Door, nearby, DaLegna gets crowded out, and Zeneli's, Buffalina, even Blind Pig do a more 'pillow-y' crust better, but I can see it as a creative dining option with the right company. Like Zinc, they've got thoughtful combinations, but not necessarily my style.

Zinc, to me, is about creative flavor mixes, and features many that just don't appeal to my palate. Add in greater parking difficulty, and I'll opt elsewhere, and prefer BAR when downtown (though my last time at BAR stunned me because I didn't like it at all, and would not do takeout again from there). Weirdly the last time at Zinc, three tries still didn't produce clean plates or flatware. Definitely a dishwasher issue, which was noted & communicated by a party of 7,and I wasn't the lead.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First and Last still not getting the love it deserves smh

Too inconsistent but one of the best red sauces available, especially in Plainville which is easily the best of the bunch. Thinner more New Haven than the others who are a bit doughy in comparison. Have to admit haven't been to the original in a while.

On this topic it was my 60th yesterday and my son was working near New Haven bought pizzas at each Modern, Sally's, Pepe's, Zuppardi's, Little Rendezvous and brought them home for me/us LOL had them pie cut 12 pieces in each for 60 pieces of pizza. Problem is can't freeze them all so it's a pizza party this week. Love the idea but oh boy pass the Pepto!

Reaction Score
Too inconsistent but one of the best red sauces available, especially in Plainville which is easily the best of the bunch. Thinner more New Haven than the others who are a bit doughy in comparison. Have to admit haven't been to the original in a while.

On this topic it was my 60th yesterday and my son was working near New Haven bought pizzas at each Modern, Sally's, Pepe's, Zuppardi's, Little Rendezvous and brought them home for me/us LOL had them pie cut 12 pieces in each for 60 pieces of pizza. Problem is can't freeze them all so it's a pizza party this week. Love the idea but oh boy pass the Pepto!

I don’t acknowledge the existence of the locations outside of Hartford

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In the case of Buffalina, I added sausage my first time, as per 8893's recommendation, and did a lot of, "What's that?" asking as pies came out of the oven.
I’m glad it was to your liking but if I made a Bufalina meat recommendation I think it would have been speck, which, because of them, is now one of my favorite things on the planet—especially on a pizza. IIRC there is another Bufalina regular here who posted a few pages upthread and his usual is the Margherita with sausage (and extra basil I think).

As for Sally’s, did they hold the onions on your Garden Pie?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I’m glad it was to your liking but if I made a Bufalina meat recommendation I think it would have been speck, which, because of them, is now one of my favorite things on the planet—especially on a pizza. IIRC there is another Bufalina regular here who posted a few pages upthread and his usual is the Margherita with sausage (and extra basil I think).

As for Sally’s, did they hold the onions on your Garden Pie?
Now that I think further, I violated your wise counsel and split half bacon & half sausage, to no apparent negative effect, and I liked both.

As to speck, which you did tout, 3 decades ago, I made a pledge, "No new animals, no new parts" in response to some readings about vegetarianism. Along the way, I broadened it to include no new cured meats. The idea was, "Meat's not good for me, but I'm not going to give up what I like. But I won't add any more." Speck would fit that. Probably costs me some taste pleasure, but I don't miss what I don't know.

Yes, I held the onions on the Garden, asked for garlic instead (thinking you'd suggested that), and was told they couldn't do the "substitution." I thought that was odd, but didn't push it, because I'd just gotten the green light to be the last pie to be made for the night.

In addition to the 7 days a week and lunch opening, isn't the 9:30 close a half hour later? That's what made last night possible.

Finally, the men's room seems to have an 'upgraded' window treatment...a hanging fabric slab. The double entry door remains. I'll give it an overall "not as bad" rating.

I would neve have ordered the GS w/o your recommendation. It's quite good.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A collective Boneyard, "Hold my beer," would go nicely right about here.

I'll bite. Based on all the expansion and new openings, is New England (and NY I suppose) doing for pizza what we did for craft IPA? Is our superior version likely to follow a similar path and become the dominant force in the pizza world? Many will copy, many will fail, some will succeed.

I'm aware of a self proclaimed "New Haven Style" pizza place in Austin. Is "New Haven Style" the new "New England Style" (as applied to IPA)?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hard to believe that this thread is over 8 years old.
Well, this iteration of The Boneyard is only a couple months older than that. I can't recall if the subject came up on one or more predecessors, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom