OT: Best Northeast Beaches | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Northeast Beaches

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'm a fan of Old Silver. If you stay at the Seacrest they set our your chair and umbrella and can bring you drinks from the bar, or food. Live music most afternoons at the outdoor bar by the saltwater pool. Warm water in Buzzards Bay. Some days there is a little surf. The private beaches are north of the Seacrest. The public one south gets crowded on weekends.

I also give a thumbs up to Bayview/Mayflower in Dennis. Great beaches.

The Cape Cod National seashore beaches are (a) beautiful (b) a little tough to get to and (c) cold as hell (water), often with rough surf breaking straight on the beach, which has a steep drop off in most cases. Then there are the sharks. Make sure you have the Sharktivity App on your phone.
Agreed on the Seacrest/Old Silver. It's a nice spot when you just want a couple of days away and not a week's rental. Falmouth also has a nice collection of restaurants in the downtown if you want to take a little drive away from the resort.

Reaction Score
I've been thinking about heading down there for years. Any more details, thoughts?
If you are young and single go a bit north to Dewey Beach, DE.

Reaction Score
Agreed on the Seacrest/Old Silver. It's a nice spot when you just want a couple of days away and not a week's rental. Falmouth also has a nice collection of restaurants in the downtown if you want to take a little drive away from the resort.

Yes, I saw the Seacrest and wondered about it. We stayed with a friend on Old Silver on the private side for a couple days. Also a nice bike path right there. Falmouth is convenient to Martha's Vineyard as well, and Woods Hole has a morning sea life event for children.

Reaction Score
@CL82 agreed. If you're going to do Ocean City you may as well stay in Fenwick Island, DE which is on Ocean Highway (just the less trashy end).

Id also recommend Bethany, DE which is more like the Cape (much nicer and quieter than OC). I love Bethany, personally.

Both are close enough to go into Ocean City whenever you want if there's something particular you want to do there.

Just don't drink and drive those distances please - UBER, they're tough down yonder. And that stretch where it's 55 mph on Rt1 then when you hit the greens around bethany line coming from Rehoboth it suddenly turns to 35 and those pricks love to grab out of towners there, I KNOW.

Reaction Score

I'm in Mary Carpenters on the far east end looking from the road. A 2 minute walk to the Ocean Mist and Tara's Tippery as well as a 5 minute walk to South Kingston Beach. Great spot for the weekender! :cool:

Reaction Score
Roy Carpenter's Beach cottage community is still there. A good friend's family has had a cottage there for decades; although I think they had to rebuild in recent years because of the beach erosion.
I'm in Mary Carpenters on the far east end looking from the road. A 2 minute walk to the Ocean Mist and Tara's Tippery as well as a 5 minute walk to South Kingston Beach. Great spot for the weekender! :cool:

you have a great week to be there!!
Roy Carpenter's Beach cottage community is still there. A good friend's family has had a cottage there for decades; although I think they had to rebuild in recent years because of the beach erosion.

the ocean mist owner is putting up his own money to rebuild the seawall. there was big dispute on how best to fix the problem .but he was able to do it his way
ill try and find the link but the govt way would have pretty much
wiped out that side of the road

Reaction Score
Going on Saturday with wife, getting there before noon. First timer and will be there for about 5 hours. Hope to be snoozing/lounging and picnicking.

I know its going to be crowded but where's a generally good location to 'claim'?

Also when's the best time to arrive to claim?

If it exists, looking for a spot away from the waves (so if high tide I don't have to move) and typically away from the foot traffic.
There is paid parking right at the beach. This Saturday you shouldn't have a problem getting a spot, and you really don't have to worry about the tide. If you get sick of lying on the beach, just up the road is the Black Point Trail Head, neat place to go hiking. You can also reach the trail from the beach, it is to the left of the beach facing the ocean (there used to be a house chimney right at the trial).

Reaction Score
you have a great week to be there!!

the ocean mist owner is putting up his own money to rebuild the seawall. there was big dispute on how best to fix the problem .but he was able to do it his way
ill try and find the link but the govt way would have pretty much
wiped out that side of the road

Not there I just acquired a 38' Prowler Heathland trailer which was on a great spot there and have been going there some weekends and sometimes during the week when traveling or playing golf. The retired Providence fireguy took to Arizona with some chick and I got the early word it was for sale and got a nice deal - he bought it brand new last year and only was in it for 2 1/2 months before taking off. Then in the spring of this year decided he liked it in AZ (good puddy I guess) and put it up for sale 2015. A real estate guy I knew offered and I saw it and fell in love - all the amenities and sleeps 5-6. And while I was skeptical of Matunuk and a place they call "The Hood" locally I really like it, great people great area to be in. And only a couple hours from home. And I can just keep it there over the winter no worries.

I met the owner of the Mist cool guy, has made a killing at this place I would recommend anyone who likes the old style beach bars with bands and cool people to check it out sometime. Decent grub, great breakfasts/Bloody's and just a laid back feel. The bands are also really good The Senders are excellent and believe it or not 2 weeks ago on a Saturday Max Creek (yep same one for all yo old folks from CT) was there.

Really happy and my wife and son love it too. My son and his friends really like it when they go there without us LOL

Reaction Score
Two Ten Oyster may be better as it's food is damn close and it's less crowded. But yes, The Matunuk Oyster is jam packed by 5-6 need to go really early to beat that police parking pointing to you for parking. Breakfast is really good at the Mist, amazingly enough. Will try Brickley's at some point.
I stayed over at the Hyatt a couple miles away from Mohegan after the Jim Calhoun alumni game last weekend. We went to Miquamicut on Saturday and wanted to try a new restaurant after. We heard really good things about Matunuks so we decided to try it. I was very impressed and cant wait to go back there.

Reaction Score
Not too far from Charlestown, RI off the East Matunuk exit on Rt 1 go to the Matunuk Oyster Bar restaurant the best in the area, maybe the best in RI. I am also right down the road may be there with my wife or if we dont feel like driving we all to The Ocean Mist at Matunuk/South Kingston Beach - enjoy your weekend. This is not at all far from Narragansett.
Mau I may check this out. However with those prices my wife better not complain of having a headache from all day in the sun. ;)

Reaction Score

The erosion in recent years is such that there is no longer any visitor parking at the beach. There's no longer any room. Thanks to superstorm Sandy. Cottages and snack bar had to be moved back. You would have to know someone with a cottage and park there. Both Carpenter's and adjacent South Kingstown town beach have huge mounds of cobbles/pebbles this year. Lots of great barrier pond beaches on RI 's south coast. Napatree Pt. Is my favorite completely undeveloped beach. But, if you take a lot of gear, it's a good hike from the Watch Hill parking lots. East Beach in Charlestown is another great undeveloped beach that allows campers between the dunes and Ninigret Pond. But a very small day trip parking lot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not there I just acquired a 38' Prowler Heathland trailer which was on a great spot there and have been going there some weekends and sometimes during the week when traveling or playing golf. The retired Providence fireguy took to Arizona with some chick and I got the early word it was for sale and got a nice deal - he bought it brand new last year and only was in it for 2 1/2 months before taking off. Then in the spring of this year decided he liked it in AZ (good puddy I guess) and put it up for sale 2015. A real estate guy I knew offered and I saw it and fell in love - all the amenities and sleeps 5-6. And while I was skeptical of Matunuk and a place they call "The Hood" locally I really like it, great people great area to be in. And only a couple hours from home. And I can just keep it there over the winter no worries.

I met the owner of the Mist cool guy, has made a killing at this place I would recommend anyone who likes the old style beach bars with bands and cool people to check it out sometime. Decent grub, great breakfasts/Bloody's and just a laid back feel. The bands are also really good The Senders are excellent and believe it or not 2 weeks ago on a Saturday Max Creek (yep same one for all yo old folks from CT) was there.

Really happy and my wife and son love it too. My son and his friends really like it when they go there without us LOL

I've never been down there, and often find RI beach towns are a bit too honky tonk...like a light version of Jersey Shore. But that area looks pretty interesting and I see there's a Block Island ferry right there as well.

Reaction Score
image.jpg
View from the top of the dunes as one approaches Napatree Pt. in Watch Hill. In the far distance left is Fisher's Island, NY. The body of water on right is Little Narragansett Bay and Ct. coastline. Offshore from this point is the only 3 state water boundary in the US- Ct., NY, and RI. This is an undeveloped beach with the ruins of coastal batteries at the very tip of the point.....

Reaction Score
View attachment 15150 View from the top of the dunes as one approaches Napatree Pt. in Watch Hill. In the far distance left is Fisher's Island, NY. The body of water on right is Little Narragansett Bay and Ct. coastline. Offshore from this point is the only 3 state water boundary in the US- Ct., NY, and RI. This is an undeveloped beach with the ruins of coastal batteries at the very tip of the point.....
How far is the walk from the parking lot? (I'd be trudging small cooler, beach umbrella and beach lounge chair and clothing/food/towel bag)

Reaction Score
I stayed over at the Hyatt a couple miles away from Mohegan after the Jim Calhoun alumni game last weekend. We went to Miquamicut on Saturday and wanted to try a new restaurant after. We heard really good things about Matunuks so we decided to try it. I was very impressed and cant wait to go back there.
Never had a bad meal there, its impressive for such a high volume place. We live near the RI border so we go off season and try going at non peak times. Their calamari is a favorite of mine.

Reaction Score
The erosion in recent years is such that there is no longer any visitor parking at the beach. There's no longer any room. Thanks to superstorm Sandy. Cottages and snack bar had to be moved back. You would have to know someone with a cottage and park there. Both Carpenter's and adjacent South Kingstown town beach have huge mounds of cobbles/pebbles this year. Lots of great barrier pond beaches on RI 's south coast. Napatree Pt. Is my favorite completely undeveloped beach. But, if you take a lot of gear, it's a good hike from the Watch Hill parking lots. East Beach in Charlestown is another great undeveloped beach that allows campers between the dunes and Ninigret Pond. But a very small day trip parking lot.

yeah we almost bought a place right on the beach at Roy's but they said if the water continues to erode the beaches and move closer the places on the beach get moved all the way to the back - which is exactly what happened to people after Sandy if indeed they even survived.

Reaction Score
Just make sure anyone going to Charlestown or surrounding beaches does the right thing and hit Grey Sail Brewery tap room!

Have to find that soon, maybe this weekend! Do they have Corona Light ? LOL

Reaction Score
Kitaman did you get to Matunuk or any of the restaurants? I hit Matunuk Oyster with my wife at 5 and they had at least a 2 hour wait and we end up at Two Ten Oyster a couple exits down that was really really good anyway..

Here's a write up and Matunuk for those wondering why everyone waits, and they do!

Articles & Press - Matunuck Oyster Bar - South Kingstown, RI
Arrived at Blue Shutters Beach at 10am, parking lot full. Then went to Misquamicut again parking problems.

Winded up at Charlestown Beach (ugh). Not bad, better than CT beaches but not ideal. Spent the whole day and late afternoon, when we left we meet some of our tribal friends at Two Trees Grill at Foxwoods.

We wanted to go to Matunuck but they called and pretty much demanded we come, and hell it was free.

I bumped this thread from last year so I will be returning to RI annually, its a great place to kill a day. My wife enjoyed it and rewarded me, that's all that matters since at my age all summer beaches have bikinis for viewing purposes (pretty faces help but don't really matter).

Reaction Score
Arrived at Blue Shutters Beach at 10am, parking lot full. Then went to Misquamicut again parking problems.

Winded up at Charlestown Beach (ugh). Not bad, better than CT beaches but not ideal. Spent the whole day and late afternoon, when we left we meet some of our tribal friends at Two Trees Grill at Foxwoods.

We wanted to go to Matunuck but they called and pretty much demanded we come, and hell it was free.

I bumped this thread from last year so I will be returning to RI annually, its a great place to kill a day. My wife enjoyed it and rewarded me, that's all that matters since at my age all summer beaches have bikinis for viewing purposes (pretty faces help but don't really matter).

Rewarded me? NICE:cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom