OT: Best Northeast Beaches | The Boneyard

OT: Best Northeast Beaches

Reaction Score
Thinking about soaking the remaining poison ivy in some salt water, putting down the blanket and hoisting an umbrella. Relaxation, some swimming, music (headphones) and reading all day. In Stratford we have 3 beaches but the Mrs wants to go out of town.

What beach do you guys like or frequent?

My needs are easy:
1. Not too crowded
2. Public bathrooms, for the Mrs of course.
3. Nice views (not talking boats) ;)
4. Grills (optional)
5. Hopefully clean water (as possible here) and beach area

Looking for a day in the sun, RI, or CT. Of course I know all towns charge for access therefore I'm coming to you guys, especially if my cheap arse has to pay.

Was thinking Hamonasset but they tend to get crowded and Sherwood Island is always flooded with New Yorkers.

Reaction Score
In Rhode Island, I love the Charlestown Breachway (but a very small parking lot so must get there early) and the East Matunuck State Beach, which has great facilities, a large beach, and restaurants/pier/ice cream all within walking distance

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is a lake across the street from my house.

You are free to sit in the yard. The wives in the neighborhood are fairly attractive, but try not to be too obvious.

Salt, bathrooms and grills are available for an additional fee.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In Rhode Island, I love the Charlestown Breachway (but a very small parking lot so must get there early) and the East Matunuck State Beach, which has great facilities, a large beach, and restaurants/pier/ice cream all within walking distance
Napatree Point in Westerly RI is my favorite beach in the northeast. Charlestown Breachway is second.
Agree with both of these and would add Blue Shutters Beach, right next to them. That's where my wife and kids go for a good beach day trip. We live in Madison and go to the town beaches often (them way more than me) and I have lived on Long Island Sound for most of my life (grew up in Stratford), but I have never considered a Long Island Sound beach to be a "real" beach. If you live in Stratford and want something better/different than what you have, you have to go to Rhode Island to get past the Sound.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
PS: Bring a boogie board. The waves are usually very good for riding.

Reaction Score
I have done Newport in a day from Westport. 2nd beach has a lot of parking. Leave at 8 u would be fine. Shower outside. Grab dinner. Make a whole day of it. Home by 11. Dark horse - the stonington CT beaches.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I lived on Lantern Point Beach in Fairfield during school so I will say Lantern Point Beach. I don't remember much, but I did go swimming once and it was disgusting.

Reaction Score
Misquamicut in Westerly, RI is the best beach in the northeast.

I would agree with you but OP said it can't be too crowded and it must have grills. Misquamicut fails on both of those.

Reaction Score
I would agree with you but OP said it can't be too crowded and it must have grills. Misquamicut fails on both of those.
Grills optional, we can grab a sub and chips, we will have cooler.

Reaction Score
I like Jones Beach LI and the Jersey Shore beaches over anything in New England..

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Grills optional, we can grab a sub and chips, we will have cooler.
In that case, Misquamicut does get a bit crowded on your typical "beach days", but if you want a great Florida-like beach atmosphere with clear blue water and clean sand then it's the place to be.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
New boneyard death pool. Who is the first yarder to get eaten by a shark this season. Might as well tie the traditional death pool and the traditional shark infatuation together. A good year for it the sharks are hungry and I like Meta.

My money is on the cape cod crowd.

Reaction Score
Ditch Plain in Montauk is the best beach between The Canadian border and the outer banks, but that's a long trip.

Watch Hill beach at the base of the cliff by the Ocean House is the best beach in New England, but you have to walk to facilities and you won't get grills.

Go to Blue Shutters or Charlestown. Misquamicut sucks. The sand is really coarse after Sandy. In that area, Dunes park at the Weekapaug Breachway is your best bet.

Outer Cape beaches are scenic but get disqualified because the water is too cold.

Reaction Score
Heading to The Cape tomorrow for the week. I'll let you know when I get back! :cool:

In CT, I enjoy walking over to Rocky Neck with the dogs, from Giant's Neck, where they don't let the dogs on the beaches. It's great at low tide with the dogs. They love it. Shhh, don't tell anyone I do this! ;)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Heading to The Cape tomorrow for the week. I'll let you know when I get back! :cool:

In CT, I enjoy walking over to Rocky Neck with the dogs, from Giant's Neck, where they don't let the dogs on the beaches. It's great at low tide with the dogs. They love it. Shhh, don't tell anyone I do this! ;)
My dog is a Hammo dawg. No one kicks her off the beach...

11059380_10152834835634639_179721335315427697_n.jpg

Reaction Score
the further up the coast, the better off u are, beaches close to NYC have risk of high bacteria levels, especially after it rains u have a risk of getting swimmers itch. I really like the beachs up in the new london area or watch hill in rhode island, charlestown, couple of beachs in newport

Reaction Score
I like Jones Beach LI and the Jersey Shore beaches over anything in New England..
Jersey Shore beaches blow New England beaches away for the most part but last time I was there I was pissed off at how restrictive they are, you basically couldn't bring anything onto the beach. I'm not much of a beach goer but I remember going to the Cape and Nantucket and you could do and bring anything you wanted on the beach, we would drive our cars full of people, dogs, food and beer. Those were some good times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom