Best Live Album | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Best Live Album

Reaction Score
Foe those who appreciate the music of Joe Jackson, seek out his “Summer in the City: Live in New York” album, which was recorded over three nights at Joe’s Pub. Includes exceptional covers of the Beatles’ Eleanor Rigby and Steely Dan’s King of the World. With his forays into so many genres in the last 40+ years, some consider JJ a bit of a musical weirdo. I consider him a musical genius.
Completely forgot about Joe Jackson Summer In The City. Will have to listen to that in next few days. Thanks.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Foe those who appreciate the music of Joe Jackson, seek out his “Summer in the City: Live in New York” album, which was recorded over three nights at Joe’s Pub. Includes exceptional covers of the Beatles’ Eleanor Rigby and Steely Dan’s King of the World. With his forays into so many genres in the last 40+ years, some consider JJ a bit of a musical weirdo. I consider him a musical genius.
I saw him live at the Ridgefield Playhouse a few years ago and he was still great. I have his two-CD live album Live 1980/86 but never listened to Summer in the City before. Thanks for the heads up. Sounds great.

I agree with you: he's a musical genius.

Reaction Score
Brothers in Arms. My 2yo daughter loved Money for Nothing (from MTV), because they were singing about baby chickens. We listened to that album a lot. Sorry it’s not a live album…
Haha This is cute. “Money for nothing and your chicks for free”.

Reaction Score
I saw him live at the Ridgefield Playhouse a few years ago and he was still great. I have his two-CD live album Live 1980/86 but never listened to Summer in the City before. Thanks for the heads up. Sounds great.

I saw him at the Bushnell about 15 years ago or so and somewhere in New Haven, I want to say whatever the College Music Hall was called before. Both shows were excellent.

I agree, a musical genius along with Elvis Costello. Who would think that these musician would start off post punk pop and become who they are now.

Reaction Score
Ok you guys got me going on a Joe Jackson kick. If you have not heard of this one check it out. Live but only for a few invited guests, very good. Called Big World

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No one really can win this.

Kinks - One for the Road
Cheap Trick - Budokan
Allman Bros - Fillmore East
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
The Who - Live at Leeds
The Band - The Last Waltz (definitely best video concert)
Little Feet - Waiting for Columbus

Best fake live album : NRBQ at Yankee Stadium

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
ZZ Top Double Down Live is damn good.

2 shows from two different decades on two disks (or whatever they're called nowadays).

First part is from Germany in 1980. Waiting on the Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago, Cheap Sunglasses, Tush, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide, LaGrange, Tube Snake Boogie, I Just Got Paid...... 3 guys, 3 chords.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
One nobody will likely know, but a personal favorite of mine
Luka Bloom - Keeper of the Flame

in that general genre, the Chieftains Water from the Well is superb.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

C’mon man! I’m listening to the final hour of Larry Kirwin’s Celtic Crush as a type, just as I do every Sunday morning.

Luka is great!

Reaction Score

If it was the 2016 show, I was there too! Saw him at Stamford Alive at Five series in 2018 too. He still had it.

@Husky Alien is so spot on. If you look at JJ and Elvis Costello in their post-punk phases, going spastic all over the stage, and then just a decade later… they changed (evolved?) into completely different musicians. High level talents.

Reaction Score

C’mon man! I’m listening to the final hour of Larry Kirwin’s Celtic Crush as a type, just as I do every Sunday morning.

Luka is great!
Kilroy Was Here is one of my favorites. Though not a live album. Good stuff this morning

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Van Morrison has three great live albums:

Too Late to Stop Now

Live at the Grand Opera House Belfast

A Night in San Francisco

Each from a different era; all excellent

Reaction Score
No one really can win this.

Kinks - One for the Road
Cheap Trick - Budokan
Allman Bros - Fillmore East
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
The Who - Live at Leeds
The Band - The Last Waltz (definitely best video concert)
Little Feet - Waiting for Columbus

Best fake live album : NRBQ at Yankee Stadium
Can't believe NRBQ are still around

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Luka is great!
Which reminds me, as much fun as it was seeing Black 47 live, which I did a half dozen times, their live albums are close to unlistenable.

Also on the Celtic-ish topic, how could I have forgotten the one live album I've probably played more than any other over the past 35 years - a bootleg of what was once the best live band in the world at their 1986 peak - The Live Adventures of The Waterboys. For a bootleg, the sound is great, some of it captured at their legendary Glastonbury show in '86. They cover Dylan, Van Morrison, Patti Smith/Springsteen, and most notably Prince (Purple Rain with the ending solos via Steve Wickham's fiddle). Only thing missing is Karl Wallinger, who split to form World Party just before this tour started.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I lost all my GP cassettes in a car break in and haven't listened to him in years. But what an underappreciated artist. Had some great originals, but what I remember him for most was having the audacity to cover Jackson 5 hits and actually pull them off quite capably and enjoyably. So thanks for the memories.
The one that pops instantly into my head is "I Want You Back." Now I have to look for what the others are.

And, to your prior post, it amuses me that you brought up how "Everybody's in Show Biz" is only half live. In a nod to simplicity, I made no mention of this. Often, when I'm overly wordy, it's because I imagine being called out for an omission, so I pre-load what you put in as an asterisk. Fair enough.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Which reminds me, as much fun as it was seeing Black 47 live, which I did a half dozen times, their live albums are close to unlistenable.

Also on the Celtic-ish topic, how could I have forgotten the one live album I've probably played more than any other over the past 35 years - a bootleg of what was once the best live band in the world at their 1986 peak - The Live Adventures of The Waterboys. For a bootleg, the sound is great, some of it captured at their legendary Glastonbury show in '86. They cover Dylan, Van Morrison, Patti Smith/Springsteen, and most notably Prince (Purple Rain with the ending solos via Steve Wickham's fiddle). Only thing missing is Karl Wallinger, who split to form World Party just before this tour started.
Their last two albums, Modern Blues and Out of All this Blue are both great; the latter has a few live cuts. They still have great energy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The one that pops instantly into my head is "I Want You Back." Now I have to look for what the others are.

And, to your prior post, it amuses me that you brought up how "Everybody's in Show Biz" is only half live. In a nod to simplicity, I made no mention of this. Often, when I'm overly wordy, it's because I imagine being called out for an omission, so I pre-load what you put in as an asterisk. Fair enough.
Might've only been the one. My addled brain wants to say there was also "ABC", but maybe that's only because ABC sounds a lot like I Want You Back.

Anyway, Parker was very versatile. He not only covered the Jackson 5, but also the Ramones, Floyd, Prince, Dylan, Marley, Springsteen, Billy Idol, Garcia, Sam Cooke, Elvis, and the Beatles. He should do an album of all covers with Dave Grohl and Billy Joe Armstrong.

Reaction Score
The Only thing missing is Karl Wallinger, who split to form World Party just before this tour started.
Thanks, never heard of that bootleg album by them. Will look and download it. I'm huge fan of Karl Wallinger and World Party. Arkeology (compilation album) is a must if you are a fan of Karl (WP).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Their last two albums, Modern Blues and Out of All this Blue are both great; the latter has a few live cuts. They still have great energy.
Scott lost me at Universal Hall/Too Close to Heaven. Had their whole catalog till then, plus bootlegs. Also saw them live 5x, and when he started wearing the cowboy hat and pulling more from the folk/traditional catalog, I'd had enough. But in their day they really were worth the ticket to see live.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom