Best Italian Restaurants and Stores in NY, CT, and MA. | The Boneyard

Best Italian Restaurants and Stores in NY, CT, and MA.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What are some of your favorite Italian restaurants? Any favorite stores to buy pasta, cooking equipment, etc?

Edit: Rhode Island too!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Goodfellas in New Haven is one of my favorites in CT. For NYC, Danico and il Cortile in Little Italy are really good places as well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There was a good Italian place in Coventry that closed up shop and moved to Storrs. Anyone know if it is still around?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Go to Arthur Avenue and walk around. Then get the chicken parm at Enzo's. Sundays are tough because a few of the best bakeries and Italian markets are closed. If you order cold cuts and they aren't wrapped in wax paper, you've walked too far. Not sure what's up in Mass but I'd bet they have their go to's.

Reaction Score
Testo’s in Bridgeport and La Fortuna in Stratford are my favorite restaurants. Borgatti’s in the Bronx sells fresh pasta that‘s great.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For the Valley people, the AM Club in Derby sells their home made sauce they use for the monthly dinners in a container for only like $6. It’s very good, I recommend it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ive eaten in so many Italian restaurants throughout the country and I still say, for the $, Adriana's in New Haven is among the best.
The old Boccacio's in Hartford in the South End was magnificent.
In Boston - Cantina Italiana on Hanover is superb

Reaction Score
Know it’s in RI, but Trattoria Zooma in providence on Atwells avenue is my hands down favorite for delicious handmade pastas - tons of unique dishes and all are freaking amazing. In CT, Trattoria Toscana in Manchester is actually surprisingly good for their homemade gnocchi dishes.

For an Italian grocery/pasta shop, Bricco in the north end of Boston has a great overall selection, as well as really reasonably priced handmade pastas in all sorts of shapes.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Know it’s in RI, but Trattoria Zooma in providence on Atwells avenue is my hands down favorite for delicious handmade pastas - tons of unique dishes and all are freaking amazing. In CT, Trattoria Toscana in Manchester is actually surprisingly good for their homemade gnocchi dishes.

For an Italian grocery/pasta shop, Bricco in the north end of Boston has a great overall selection, as well as really reasonably priced handmade pastas in all sorts of shapes.
Ah, forgot about RI! Thanks

Reaction Score
Antonio’s in Beacon Falls is a hidden gem. Their pizza isn’t much, but by far the best lasagna I’ve ever had. Lots of great lobster & seafood dishes and pastas. Generous portions.
I try to hit Antonio’s once a week. Their family deal specials during the pandemic have been great. I love their Salmon entree, the Lasagna Popper app, and the Chicken Marsala is excellent.

Reaction Score
I also forgot to mention Mattei’s in Derby. Their eggplant parm is by far the best out of anybody. The way they do it so unique with how thin they slice it. I couldn’t tell you how many times Ive brought a tray of it to parties where people have literally thought it was lasagna. It’s so good that I know people that hate eggplant, but they love it from Mattei’s.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Go to Arthur Avenue and walk around. Then get the chicken parm at Enzo's. Sundays are tough because a few of the best bakeries and Italian markets are closed. If you order cold cuts and they aren't wrapped in wax paper, you've walked too far. Not sure what's up in Mass but I'd bet they have their go to's.

I forgot Catania's. Get a few dozen mini calzones and take them home, they freeze well. Meatball is my favorite, cheese a close second. My old school Italian relatives prefer the veal.

1609565298983.png

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ferdinando's Foccaceria, Carroll Gardens (Red Hook), Brooklyn.

I actually had the worst thing I ever ate at Ferdinando's, but it wasn't their fault at all. I simply don't like spleen. Everything else was spectacular, including the breads, fresh ricotta and panelle. They'll do stuff I can't be bothered with like various fresh artichoke dishes and stuffed calamari. It's truly old-timey Sicilian and there are great Italian pastries and other shops in the very walkable neighborhood. Probably had the best cannoli of my life there.

Typical red sauce Italian-American I do better at home, no need to go out for it (except for Big Jim's here in Pgh where $12 gets you like 3-4 meals of eggplant or chicken parm if you're feeling particularly lazy).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom