Best Covers of Pop Songs | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Best Covers of Pop Songs

Reaction Score
Me & Bobby McGee – Janis Joplin (original from Roger Miller)

The Roger Miller version.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Disturbed's version is just a little to rough for me. I like Pentatonix's version and it's all done without any instruments.

Reaction Score
Disturbed's version is just a little to rough for me. I like Pentatonix's version and it's all done without any instruments.

This is also pure genius. I'm stunned by the talent presented by folks who have a gift and are willing to work their butts off to make something of it and share it.

Reaction Score
Bonnie Tyler version went #1 in the US. This version went #3. Probably the best combination of original to cover.
Heard it thru the Grapevine went to #2 for Gladys Knight & Pips and #1 for Marvin Gaye.
Proud Mary was #2 CCR and #4 for Ike & Tina
Keep Me Hangin On was #1 Supremes, #6 Vanilla Fudge, #1 Kim Wilde (+ #2 country for Reba McEntire)
supposedly 5 other songs went #1 with two artists

Reaction Score
Not a cover -- actually the less well known original by Aretha's sister
Great version, and kudos to Janis for a very different hit

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Heard it thru the Grapevine went to #2 for Gladys Knight & Pips and #1 for Marvin Gaye.
Proud Mary was #2 CCR and #4 for Ike & Tina
Keep Me Hangin On was #1 Supremes, #6 Vanilla Fudge, #1 Kim Wilde (+ #2 country for Reba McEntire)
supposedly 5 other songs went #1 with two artists

The Ballad of Davy Crockett

"Archie Bleyer, the president of Cadence Records, heard the song on the ABC telecast (December 15, 1954) and called Bill Hayes that night to gauge his interest in recording it. The next day, Hayes (vocals), Al Caiola (guitar), and Art Ryerson (guitar) recorded it in one take at an RCA studio in Manhattan.[1] Other versions by Fess Parker[2] and Tennessee Ernie Ford (recorded on February 7, 1955) quickly followed. All three versions made the Billboard magazine charts in 1955: Hayes' version made number 1 on the weekly chart (from March 26 through April 23) and number 7 for the year, Parker's reached number 6 on the weekly charts and number 31 for the year, while Ford's peaked at number 4 on the weekly country chart and number 5 on the weekly pop chart and charted at number 37 for the year. A fourth version, by bluegrass singer Mac Wiseman, reached number 10 on the radio charts in May 1955.[3] The song also reached number 1 on the Cash Box chart, from March 26 through May 14, 1955. A contemporary version also exists by Western singing group the Sons of the Pioneers. Over ten million copies of the song were sold.[4] Louis Armstrong also recorded the song in 1968. "

A rendition was recorded and released on The Kentucky Headhunters' 1991 album Electric Barnyard, and was released as a single. It peaked at number 49 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart.

Reaction Score
Miley Cyrus covering Dolly Patton’s wonderful song “Jolene.”

IMO one of the reasons it is such a wonderful song is we don't know what happened in the end- was Jolene moved enough by Dolly's plea to walk away from the guy? Or was she a heartless *(&^+ who went & took him anyway, just because she could??

Reaction Score
Here’s another one that was kind of redone by the writer. Buddy Buie wrote and produced for the Classics IV, and later for Atlanta Rhythm Section, and JR Cobb was a member of both groups. The Classics IV had a hit with Spooky in the mid-60’s, and ARS recorded it in the late 70’s

IMO this cover was/is better than the original :)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Here’s a brand new entry.

From the soon to be released film "Last Night in Soho" featuring the very talented Anya Taylor-Joy and Thomasin McKenzie.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Those who follow my posts know I have fairly eclectic musical tastes. A group that puts their own stamp on pop songs is Post Modern Jukebox. It was difficult for me to pick just one of their interpretations. Here's a sultry version of All about that Bass

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Aluminny got me thinking about Haley Reinhart and Casey Abrams. Here they are from Haley’s incredible album of 60’s covers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom