Best Bolognese in CT | The Boneyard

Best Bolognese in CT

Reaction Score
Someone help me out. Been a year since my grandma passed and I'm missing her Sunday Gravy. Admittedly, hers was not very good.

So, I am desperate for a really good bolognese and have a lot of free time. I want the best one CT has to offer.

Any advice?

Reaction Score
Someone help me out. Been a year since my grandma passed and I'm missing her Sunday Gravy. Admittedly, hers was not very good.

So, I am desperate for a really good bolognese and have a lot of free time. I want the best one CT has to offer.

Any advice?
Most really good food stores in Ct have Federal Hill Sunday Gravy.. Out of Providence--Little Italy.. Exceptional.. Best Sunday Gravy made in New England.. Maybe a Plan B to a Ct made version (per your criteria)..Was assuming you would be making vs eating out..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Boston....
Italian section of Providence is known as Federal Hill.. Holding the bottle in my hand.. Says Providence..The more popular version of Federal Hill Sunday Gravy is Marinara.. Worked in Beantown for 25 years.. Know it well..

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Any advice?

May sound odd but Cafe' on the Green at Richter Park in Danbury has a great one. Sorry to hear about your Grandma.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm confused by the OP. Are you looking for Sunday sauce or Bolognese? Or Ragu or just meat sauce in general? I would answer differently depending on which one you want, as they are each different.

Sticking with Bolognese, if you are making it yourself Marcella Hazan's recipe is classic and excellent:

If you are looking to get it from a restaurant or store, Pasta Cosi in Branford has a very good one. I prefer it with their excellent eggplant lasagna.

If you are looking for ragu, L'Orcio's Papardelle al Ragu is as good as it gets imo.

Portofino and Adriana's, both in New Haven, also have good ones; but I prefer other dishes at each (Portofino also does a very good Sunday sauce with braciole, but I like their Puttanesca best--with swordfish and Angel Hair pasta).

Pasta Vita with several locations throughout the state also sells a good meat sauce.

Reaction Score
Italian section of Providence is known as Federal Hill.. Holding the bottle in my hand.. Says Providence..The more popular version of Federal Hill Sunday Gravy is Marinara.. Worked in Beantown for 25 years.. Know it well..

My ex lived in fall river for 2 years. We hit Providence hard. I had many great federal hill meals...
I was give another a different place

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How many people have had enough different Bologneses to determine the best? The only one I've had lately was excellent from Trattoria de Lepri in Ellington.

Reaction Score
I'm confused by the OP. Are you looking for Sunday sauce or Bolognese? Or Ragu or just meat sauce in general? I would answer differently depending on which one you want, as they are each different.

Sticking with Bolognese, if you are making it yourself Marcella Hazan's recipe is classic and excellent:

If you are looking to get it from a restaurant or store, Pasta Cosi in Branford has a very good one. I prefer it with their excellent eggplant lasagna.

If you are looking for ragu, L'Orcio's Papardelle al Ragu is as good as it gets imo.

Portofino and Adriana's, both in New Haven, also have good ones; but I prefer other dishes at each (Portofino also does a very good Sunday sauce with braciole, but I like their Puttanesca best--with swordfish and Angel Hair pasta).

Pasta Vita with several locations throughout the state also sells a good meat sauce.

We must live close to on another. You speak my culinary language.

Reaction Score

Yeah, idk man. I didn't know there was a difference lol. I usually go for other types of sauce I guess.

I guess you learnm something every day on the 'yard!

Definitely looking to buy somewhere, though I may get it to go and eat in my car like a heathen. Thanks for the info... I'll check some menus out!

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
bit of an offshoot, but Cook's Illustrated has a recipe for bolognese lasagna that kickzass. I've made it every Christmas Eve for a dozen years, and it's always the favorite item in a pretty elaborate spread.

Reaction Score

Hopefully it's better than Hazan's tomato sauce recipe people rave about which consists of tomatoes, an onion, and a stick of butter.

Reaction Score
Sidenote...Sunday gravy is different than a Bologneses in my opinion. I am not Italian but played one on tv...

usually my experience of Bologneses has some root like and other spices. Plus more meat products and bones like pork slow boiled for hours... yes sunday gravy is also

Reaction Score
Sidenote...Sunday gravy is different than a Bologneses in my opinion. I am not Italian but played one on tv...

usually my experience of Bologneses has some root like and other spices. Plus more meat products and bones like pork slow boiled for hours... yes sunday gravy is also
My wife is the chef in our house.. Builds everything from the ground up in her meals... She is not Italian but has participated in cooking classes in Italy.. Sauces and gravys can really influence the dish .. Her opinion is that Marinara is the base gravy for Bolognese.. She uses the Sunday Gravy from Federal Hill as her base.. And adds other flavors/ingredients into the gravy depending on our guests (pre-COVID).. Provides more flexibility in the final sauce.. Wine selection also influences how to flavor the sauce.. My favorite food and love the country and its people..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My wife is the chef in our house.. Builds everything from the ground up in her meals... She is not Italian but has participated in cooking classes in Italy.. Sauces and gravys can really influence the dish .. Her opinion is that Marinara is the base gravy for Bolognese.. She uses the Sunday Gravy from Federal Hill as her base.. And adds other flavors/ingredients into the gravy depending our guests (pre-COVID).. Provides more flexibility in the final sauce.. Wine selection also influences how to flavor the sauce.. My favorite food and love the country and its people..

Absolutely could agree with that

Reaction Score
I use the same ingredients everytime for my “bolognese” and my wife loves it
-ground beef
-garlic power
- Trader Joe’s onion salt
- pepper
-Italian seasoning
-pinch of sugar
-parm cheese
- little milk
- Rosso pesto
- tomato paste
- garlic&basil sauce
-little bit of love on low heat for 30-40 mins

Sometimes I’ll add shredded Italian sausage.

no matter what I do she will always say Joey Garlics bolognese is better than mine, and I’m ok with that because we love going there (pre-covid)

edit: ok it’s not traditional bolognese but that’s what we call it and it tastes pretty good haha

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I use the same ingredients everytime for my bolognese and my wife loves it
-ground beef
-garlic power
- pepper
-Italian seasoning
-pinch of sugar
- Rosso pesto
- tomato paste
- garlic&basil sauce

no matter what I do she will always say Joey Garlics bolognese is better than mine, and I’m ok with that because we love going there (pre-covid)
That isn't Bolognese.

Reaction Score

To each his own I guess. I think the Sunday gravy is gross. Victoria is about the best jarred sauce I have had. A place near Providence (D palmieri) used to jar their own sauce but only offered it out of their store ... that was really good, but something was amiss in their canning process and the state put a stop to it.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I use the same ingredients everytime for my bolognese and my wife loves it
-ground beef
-garlic power
- pepper
-Italian seasoning
-pinch of sugar
- Rosso pesto
- tomato paste
- garlic&basil sauce

Are you on DoorDash?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hopefully it's better than Hazan's tomato sauce recipe people rave about which consists of tomatoes, an onion, and a stick of butter.

I’ve never made her tomato sauce. I have made this a a few other recipes from her Essentials of Classic Italian Cuisine book. She definitely errs on the side of being basic but this sauce has the essentials, which I consider to include nutmeg and white wine.

They are different.

Sunday sauce, or gravy, is simply a basic tomato sauce in which your grandmother, mother and/or aunt used to add any combination of sausage, braciole, meatballs and short rib and let it cook on the stove—and permeate the house—all day on Sunday.

Bolognese is a ground meat sauce with a little tomato, white wine and nutmeg to distinguish it. Some people add a touch of cream.

Ragu is more of a tomato-based ground meat sauce that cooks in the meat for hours, while meat renders and combines with the sauce. It does not typically have white wine or nutmeg.

OP, it sounds like you want Sunday sauce. Go to A&S in Fairfield and buy a quart of their marinara, some beef braciole, a few pork spedini and some Italian sausage, and some cavatelli pasta (dry or frozen). Brown the braciole, spedini and sausage in some oil and then add to the sauce and let simmer for hours. Cook the cavatelli per the directions and add the sauce and whatever meat you want. Get a loaf of Italian bread and some butter.

And a bottle of Sangiovese.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom