Beer | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Everyone knows the liquor laws and the consequences of drinking.

Yeah, I hardly ever see DUIs anymore. Must be those constant PSAs are really hitting home.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
the controversy should be that we're stuck in a conference that has Tulane and a bunch of directional schools. Now THAT is controversial.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The NCAA nailed Geno and UConn because of the "Hungry Huskies'! Just imagine what they'll do to UConn over the issue of the 'Thirsty Huskies"!!!
How was Geno associated with the "Hungry Huskies?" What was the fall out? I missed it.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Yeah, I hardly ever see DUIs anymore. Must be those constant PSAs are really hitting home.:rolleyes:

There are two things to address regarding your comment:
1. People also know the consequences of speeding, murder, cheating on their taxes, etc., yet they do it anyway. And I don't know what that has to do with my statement, but … since you brought it up:
2. You should check your facts. Drunk driving is actually way down. http://responsibility.org/drunk-driving/drunk-driving-statistics
Fatalities from drunk driving are down 64% between 1982 and 2012. That's huge. MADD, a huge player in the alcohol discussion, was founded in 1980.

Guess those PSAs are really hitting home. :D
Ask bar and restaurant owners how much their alcohol business is down in the past 20 years.

Husky25

Reaction Score
There are two things to address regarding your comment:
1. People also know the consequences of speeding, murder, cheating on their taxes, etc., yet they do it anyway. And I don't know what that has to do with my statement, but … since you brought it up:
2. You should check your facts. Drunk driving is actually way down. http://responsibility.org/drunk-driving/drunk-driving-statistics
Fatalities from drunk driving are down 64% between 1982 and 2012. That's huge. MADD, a huge player in the alcohol discussion, was founded in 1980.

Guess those PSAs are really hitting home. :D
Ask bar and restaurant owners how much their alcohol business is down in the past 20 years.
1. Thanks for the link, but it doesn't apply here. If a person is arrested in an incident involving a fatality, a DUI is the least of their worries. Your link refers to facts, absolutely. But those facts are irrelevant to instances of DUI both caught and missed.
2. You refer to the reasonable person. Reasonable people don't generally don't commit murder. They are, at the very least, not reasonable before and during the act.

Let's put it this way: perception is reality. There was an instance a few years back where a UConn student died as a direct result of Spring Weekend and Alcohol consumption/Drug use. It got to the point where parents were actively dissuading their children from going to school in a little sleepy town in the Northeast Connecticut woods because of the inherent danger of UConn, where the only thing to do is to get blasted on the weekends, particularly on one April weekend just before Finals.

Is the billboard illegal? Probably not (though there are rules concerning alcohol sponsorship, the NCAA, and its member institutions). Is UConn inherently dangerous? Certainly not, but the parents' perception is UConn's reality and thems the ones footing the bill for Little Johnny and Sally's education.

The bill board was a bad marketing idea...and I say this as one who enjoys a variety of rostertails.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The ad does not endorse drinking. It endorses drinking Coors Light. There is a difference. It doesn't say, hey, you need to get a buzz and drinking feels good. The ad does not promote drinking. It promotes Coors Light for people who choose to drink. That's why I followed my statement by saying it wouldn't turn teetotalers to drunks. Who is being hypocritical? It's not an ad for students to drink on campus. Everyone knows the liquor laws and the consequences of drinking. There is plenty of messaging on campus and through student communications that make drinking policies clear. We live in a society that accepts and markets alcohol just about everywhere. Beer is sold at XL center games and football games. Any reasonable person would see that this ad is not a call for students to drink. And it it popular to be anti-alcohol -- campaigns by organizations like MADD and SADD have affected thinking beyond drunk driving. I'm not saying that's good or bad. It just is.
Ok, I understand your positions, they are just wrong and I completely disagree with them. No biggie.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
1. Thanks for the link, but it doesn't apply here. If a person is arrested in an incident involving a fatality, a DUI is the least of their worries. Your link refers to facts, absolutely. But those facts are irrelevant to instances of DUI both caught and missed.
2. You refer to the reasonable person. Reasonable people don't generally don't commit murder. They are, at the very least, not reasonable before and during the act.

Let's put it this way: perception is reality. There was an instance a few years back where a UConn student died as a direct result of Spring Weekend and Alcohol consumption/Drug use. It got to the point where parents were actively dissuading their children from going to school in a little sleepy town in the Northeast Connecticut woods because of the inherent danger of UConn, where the only thing to do is to get blasted on the weekends, particularly on one April weekend just before Finals.

Is the billboard illegal? Probably not (though there are rules concerning alcohol sponsorship, the NCAA, and its member institutions). Is UConn inherently dangerous? Certainly not, but the parents' perception is UConn's reality and thems the ones footing the bill for Little Johnny and Sally's education.

The bill board was a bad marketing idea...and I say this as one who enjoys a variety of rostertails.

1. So you are saying that fewer DUI fatalities with a consistent downward trend over 20 years does not indicate fewer people are driving drunk? So drunk driving levels may have stayed the same or even increased and the downward trend in fatalities is cooidence?

2. That's the point, but you are mixing things I said in different posts in different contexts.

Once again, you need to check your facts. UConn's number of applicants has more than doubled since 2001. And the quality of applicant has increased. http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Applications-to-UConn-Up-10-Percent-240529841.html
Enrollment has set record numbers. So it's hard to reconcile your "actively dissuading" argument.

I've never said whether or not it I believed it was a good marketing idea.
I've been on an Old Speckled Hen kick myself lately.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gotta say I was surprised to see that on a billboard in New Haven the other day. Not that I cared, but I thought it notable because I had never seen us (or any other school) featured in a beer ad.

The only problem I have with it is the beer it is promoting. Should be New England Brewing, local product and exceptionally great beer.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
How was Geno associated with the "Hungry Huskies?" What was the fall out? I missed it.
Just picture a smiley face in my statement. It was meant to be funny.

Husky25

Reaction Score
1. So you are saying that fewer DUI fatalities with a consistent downward trend over 20 years does not indicate fewer people are driving drunk? So drunk driving levels may have stayed the same or even increased and the downward trend in fatalities is cooidence?

2. That's the point, but you are mixing things I said in different posts in different contexts.

Once again, you need to check your facts. UConn's number of applicants has more than doubled since 2001. And the quality of applicant has increased. http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Applications-to-UConn-Up-10-Percent-240529841.html
Enrollment has set record numbers. So it's hard to reconcile your "actively dissuading" argument.

I've never said whether or not it I believed it was a good marketing idea.
I've been on an Old Speckled Hen kick myself lately.
This discussion is going nowhere...

A downward trend in fatalities involving booze is certainly good, but it is largely unrelated to DUIs. Consider for a second, just one, that cops are catching drunk drivers more often before it escalates to something more serious. Consider also the reduction in legal BAC to .08 in most jurisdictions lowers the threshold of dishing out DUIs. So yes. status quo (or even an increase) in DUIs does not =/= coincidence. The purpose of a billboard is to raise awareness of a product in order to sell said product. Coors Light is an alcoholic beverage, so for you to say that the billboard in this discussion does not promote drinking is ludicrous, IMO (it may not be promoting getting hammered, but they are promoting their product...an alcoholic beverage...for sale...in exchange for money)!!

Regarding the second point...Again, you give facts (and they are. I don't dispute that.), but enrollment and applications are not relevant to what I said I can tell you stories until I'm blue in the face, and as true as they might be, it doesn't mean anything because it's not documented, completely anecdotal, and in the minority, but two deaths occurred on or immediately off campus with 6 months of each other. You don't think that got tuition payers mumbling? You don't think that got those on the outside looking in pointing and scoffing? In no way did I say or mean to imply that every parent along or among the 41st parallel was homeschooling rather than allow their kid to go to UConn. I said "parents," which means more than one but does not necessarily the majority. This country saw it back in the '30s and it saw it in the '60s. A vocal minority is a powerful phenomenon and a parent's perception is the university's reality. A reality that must be addressed.

Not having an official beer sponsor is a good start.

I, like meyers7, understand your point. I think you are completely wrong, using flawed data to support your position, and I disagree with every word as well, but I understand what you are saying. C'est la Vie. that's America and I'm proud to live here.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
"UConn officials aren’t thrilled that the mascot, whose marketing rights are held by IMG Sports, is appearing alongside a beer brand with the words, “Huskies Love the Cold.” IMG reportedly has a sponsorship contract with Coors, which is how the mascot appeared on the billboard."

I've read this a couple of times now and still don't understand it. I read it to mean that UConn does not hold the marketing rights to its own mascot and brand; that can't possibly be the case, can it?

Reaction Score
A couple things ...

ONE. This is Black & White. You cannot be a credible Public University (particularly one that wants to play with the bigtime PUBLIC RESEARCH AAU) and have any billboard with you attached to Beer companies.

Coming soon ... a new paradigm on Athletes and Sexual Harassment/Rape. It will be in absolute stone someday soon that anything like the little incidents that Jameis Winston was in will be handled quite uniformly. And the male athlete won't have much leeway. Much like drug testing and suspensions.

TWO ... IMG is a hugely powerful organization doing our marketing. You can make the case that IMG has a vested interest in getting UConn into a far better conference. And (like our ESPN state neighbors) are major players. They simply are. This contract is a good thing for our interests going forward. (like ... you simply cannot think that a UCF or a Tulsa has anything like this branding marketing power)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
A couple things ...

ONE. This is Black & White. You cannot be a credible Public University (particularly one that wants to play with the bigtime PUBLIC RESEARCH AAU) and have any billboard with you attached to Beer companies.

Coming soon ... a new paradigm on Athletes and s e xual Harassment/Rape. It will be in absolute stone someday soon that anything like the little incidents that Jameis Winston was in will be handled quite uniformly. And the male athlete won't have much leeway. Much like drug testing and suspensions.

TWO ... IMG is a hugely powerful organization doing our marketing. You can make the case that IMG has a vested interest in getting UConn into a far better conference. And (like our ESPN state neighbors) are major players. They simply are. This contract is a good thing for our interests going forward. (like ... you simply cannot think that a UCF or a Tulsa has anything like this branding marketing power)
And three..... They are a good partner in that they are working with the University to correct a mistake. It certainly was bad judgement to approve this advertising campaign. But they are correcting it without protest.

This is a win win for UConn. The insistence of pulling the advertisements demonstrates the University is concerned about social issues. Certainly some people will always believe it was University approved. But the overwhelming majority will recognize the University is against drinking underage and focus the fault on the marketers. Additionally, any firestorm created over this demonstrates that major corporations recognize the marketing value of UConn. My only preference would have been billboards popping up in certain areas of Mass and NY before they were asked to be pulled. That would have been really BIG!!!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Absolutely right.

We should be on billboards with a bourbon company. Or whiskey. Or whatever those chubby hayseeds in the Big Ten drink.

Reaction Score
Absolutely right.

We should be on billboards with a bourbon company. Or whiskey. Or whatever those chubby hayseeds in the Big Ten drink.

Meth?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Absolutely right.

41590_154141227954144_8860_n.jpg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This season and the on-field performance has led me towards being a crumudgeon.

Not what I want to be. I almost feel like I'm cheating on the football team by spending more time on the basketball board than the football board in October. I reached the boiling point watching the disaster in New Orleans.

I fired off a frustrated letter to the AD and put the letter on this board for all to read. I bared my soul. In the mean time I was trying to figure out what I can do better.

I don't think I've posted about beer this season, so here I go. I live in Florida so not all the beers written about every Wednesday in my local paper are available up north, but it's something.

http://www.pnj.com/story/entertainm...eer-garden-spaten-optimator-delight/17690307/

We in America tend to associate the entire month of October with Germany due to Oktoberfest. German food — hearty and comforting — just feels right in the fall season. For these reasons, we’re bringing back our beer-pairing dinner. On Oct. 29, Hopjacks Downtown is teaming up with our friend Karin Streckel for a 4-course Abendessen.
Karin is a German ex-pat who befriended Hopjacks owner Joe Abston not too long ago. After being invited to her and her husband’s house for an authentic German Easter dinner, he began plans to collaborate with her in our restaurant.
First course is Bratwurst with Spätzle dumplings paired with Paulaner Hefeweizen. Next is Beef Rouladen with baked Sauerkraut and Kartoffelpuffer (potato pancake) paired with Hofbrau Original Lager. The main course is Duck Schnitzel and a root vegetable succotash finished in pan gravy paired with Ayinger Oktoberfest. Finally, for dessert there’s a duo of Strudel — poppy seed and apple — accompanied by a currant sorbet and paired with Spaten Optimator Doppelbock.
It’s always tough finding a beer for dessert that isn’t coffee-like or incredibly fruity. I picked the Optimator as the pairing due to its richness and natural malt sweetness. Very dark amber in color, Spaten’s Dopplebock gives forth a moderate beige head that settles to an omnipresent cap. There are lovely scents of carob, caramel, wet grain and a touch of orange. A flavor like the German candy Stork Riesen — chocolaty caramel — starts things off with notes of dried fruits and slightly smoky molasses singing along. Optimator’s texture is full-bodied but not super-heavy with a lingering finish.

Reaction Score
Best craft beer in the state, don't just name the hop monsters, please name some tasty stouts and porter's too.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
superjohn said:
Best craft beer in the state, don't just name the hop monsters, please name some tasty stouts and porter's too.

Well the best in state beer IMO is a hop monster so we have start there:

NEBC's Gandhi-Bot an incredible Double IPA which to me more than holds its own with the (overly?) lauded Heady Topper out of Vermont.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom