Beer | Page 251 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Seems he contract brews through Brewmasters Brewing Services in Williamsburg, MA. And it seems that place has a taproom with a bunch of beers I've never heard of, all brewed on-premises.

Contract brewing scares the heck out of me. Even if QC standards are in place, if the brewer himself/herself isn’t present for the brewing process, his/recipe rarely produces the intended result. I experienced that scenario a few weeks ago with a local Stamford brewery that went out-of-house to contract brew with an outfit in East Haven. Still, the comments on Untappd were glowing re the beer @HuskyHawk posted. Now I’m quite curious and need to find this beer.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Contract brewing scares the heck out of me. Even if QC standards are in place, if the brewer himself/herself isn’t present for the brewing process, his/recipe rarely produces the intended result. I experienced that scenario a few weeks ago with a local Stamford brewery that went out-of-house to contract brew with an outfit in East Haven. Still, the comments on Untappd were glowing re the beer @HuskyHawk posted. Now I’m quite curious and need to find this beer.
I have really liked every single Little Willow beer I’ve had. Haven’t opened the stout I bought yet. It’s hard to find. So far I’ve only seen it at Julio’s in Westboro and my small specialty store here in town.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Popped this yesterday. Classic Belgian.
EEEF019F-743F-442E-813D-E87943279CD3.jpeg

Reaction Score
I’m not working today, and it is stout season. Some next-level stuff from Long Island’s Root + Branch, who brewed this one at 12% Beer Project in North Haven. Aged 24 months in Taconic Distillery bourbon barrels and conditioned on Madagascar vanilla beans.

8ABF57DF-890D-4DCD-A162-193AC2AD0630.jpeg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No bueno for me, but I drink Mexican lagers like I drink water. Crazy refreshing style.

Tha is exactly why I enjoyed it. Had a real busy, hectic week and when I got to the airport I just needed to decompress and a simple, straight forward beer is what the doctor ordered.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Was worried this would be liquid diabetes, but it’s not. Really good.
21760575-D6C9-43EE-AF40-96188422B51F.jpeg

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
mebbe youse can solve a 'beer' question.
i was given a couple cans of Pabst Hard Coffee back in the warm days.
put them in the misc collection department.
on a cold and nasty day, while looking for an appropriate fortifier for the upcoming outdoor task, i happened on that and wondered what it would be warmed up.
answer? outstanding, coffee/chocolaty, smooth, tasty, and taken at around 3 or 4 ounces. i went to get more when i asked the giver where it came from.
gone, and then, gone from everywhere in Ct. im on the trail, and learn online that it's widely available in Westchester.
a lie.
i tried reaching Pabst a bunch, but no luck. online, the 1000s of reviews share my opinion. overwhelmingly positive.

what happened to such a widely popular product?

Reaction Score
what happened to such a widely popular product?
Well received and fast selling are not necessarily the same thing. It came out selling decently at launch and then barely anyone bought it in 2022. The whole beer-based hard coffee segment appears to have been a fad.

Reaction Score
Headed to the New Haven area on Tuesday. Going to hit NEBCO, 12% and Lock City. Tribus is closed on Tuesdays as are many breweries. What else should I hit?

Reaction Score
Headed to the New Haven area on Tuesday. Going to hit NEBCO, 12% and Lock City. Tribus is closed on Tuesdays as are many breweries. What else should I hit?
Do not bother coming to Stamford. Lock City is barely brewing anymore and no one is there usually to actually pour a beer for you. Don’t know where you’re coming from, but if you’re coming from the west, stop at Marlowe in Nyack or District 96 in New City.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Do not bother coming to Stamford. Lock City is barely brewing anymore and no one is there usually to actually pour a beer for you. Don’t know where you’re coming from, but if you’re coming from the west, stop at Marlowe in Nyack or District 96 in New City.
Don't know if I'll be coming to CT this year, but last trip I'd hoped on swinging through Oxford to visit Black Hog & OEC but didn't get there. Your thoughts on those?

Reaction Score
Don't know if I'll be coming to CT this year, but last trip I'd hoped on swinging through Oxford to visit Black Hog & OEC but didn't get there. Your thoughts on those?
Not a Black Hog fan. Nothing memorable coming out of there. OEC is a must-visit. Unique atmosphere. Fantastic lagers, pilsners, traditional European style farmhouse ales.

Reaction Score
Ended up just doing 12% and NEBCO, but enjoyed the beers. I had the Tox Fugu's Revenge Double IPA and the Tox Hop Culture Collaboration Hop 'em Up. Both pretty good. The Hop 'em Up was listed as a West Coast IPA, but it was only because it had West Coast hops in it. It wasn't what I was hoping for though, which was a clean, crisp IPA. Still hazy.

At NEBCO, I went with Davidly Roth, an 11.5% Imperial Stout with almonds and coconut. Loved it and had to have two!

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I will be in Storrs for the first time since ‘16 this weekend- anyone have brewery recommendations in either Hartford/Storrs area, New Haven area, Stamford area? I am looking to bring back some local beers back with me to Charlotte and appreciate any guidance. Big fan of IPAs and Pilsners fwiw.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I will be in Storrs for the first time since ‘16 this weekend- anyone have brewery recommendations in either Hartford/Storrs area, New Haven area, Stamford area? I am looking to bring back women local beers back with me to Charlotte and appreciate any guidance. Big fan of IPAs and Pilsners fwiw.
Think this is human trafficking.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hitchhiker Brewery in Pgh, usually a very reliable but not top-notch local brewery, just upset my wife. She doesn't know a ton about beer, but does know a ton about coffee. When she saw five adjunct ingredients listed below the name of the beer (coffee, maple syrup, cacao nibs, vanilla, hazelnut), she thought they were simply flavor "notes", like you'd find on a good bag of coffee. Thinking she was doing a thing for love, on Valentine's Day she presented me with a 4-pack of perhaps the single worst beer I have ever tasted. It set her back $17.99 plus tax, which made her embarrassment all the worse.

She comes home from work a half hour ago, tells me that when I open one, she'd like to taste it. So I opened one, poured a little into her glass. She smelled it, said it smelled like maple. The she sipped it, went "ewwwww!", and tossed the contents of her glass into the sink.

Me, being of stout makeup and trained to never throw out beer, tasted mine. She asked, "Do you like it?". I didn't have to say a word, my anguished face told her all she needed to know. I imagine this is what it would be like to toss a bunch of syrup coated Wendy's french toast sticks into a Wendy's coffee with hazelnut flavoring, wringing out the french toast, then blending it into a white stout.

I am trying to suffer through the experience of this one glass. The other three cans will find themselves in somebody's cooler at some Memorial Day cookout.

1676507208826.png

What makes a competent brewer even think of crap like this, let alone taste it and release it to the public?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Think this is human trafficking.
Possible violation of the Mann Act. Did we all learn about that in Smokey & The Bandit like I did?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hitchhiker Brewery in Pgh, usually a very reliable but not top-notch local brewery, just upset my wife. She doesn't know a ton about beer, but does know a ton about coffee. When she saw five adjunct ingredients listed below the name of the beer (coffee, maple syrup, cacao nibs, vanilla, hazelnut), she thought they were simply flavor "notes", like you'd find on a good bag of coffee. Thinking she was doing a thing for love, on Valentine's Day she presented me with a 4-pack of perhaps the single worst beer I have ever tasted. It set her back $17.99 plus tax, which made her embarrassment all the worse.

She comes home from work a half hour ago, tells me that when I open one, she'd like to taste it. So I opened one, poured a little into her glass. She smelled it, said it smelled like maple. The she sipped it, went "ewwwww!", and tossed the contents of her glass into the sink.

Me, being of stout makeup and trained to never throw out beer, tasted mine. She asked, "Do you like it?". I didn't have to say a word, my anguished face told her all she needed to know. I imagine this is what it would be like to toss a bunch of syrup coated Wendy's french toast sticks into a Wendy's coffee with hazelnut flavoring, wringing out the french toast, then blending it into a white stout.

I am trying to suffer through the experience of this one glass. The other three cans will find themselves in somebody's cooler at some Memorial Day cookout.

View attachment 84134

What makes a competent brewer even think of crap like this, let alone taste it and release it to the public?
My God. Those adjuncts and it’s not a Stout. That is bizarre.

Reaction Score

View attachment 84134

All of Hitchhiker’s stouts are average at best. They love throwing in a lot of gimmicky adjuncts into their stouts - like cannoli shells. Also… I am so not down with white stouts, such as the one your wife purchased.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom