So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The short answer is “yes”. An emphatic yes. But all you need to do is take a peek in your SoCal backyard. Modern Times closing four locations before selling off to Maui Brewing. Stone selling to Sapporo. The west coast IPA is dead. Buried. RIP. The New England IPA is going nowhere because it is so freaking flavorful and brewed at such a high level by so many great specialty craft brewers. But palate fatigue for IPAs is occurring everywhere and traditional styles are growing in popularity rapidly. The other loser in 2022 is the fruited kettle sour (not to be confused with the sour IPA). The only people drinking that sugar-fruit puree slop (devoid of hops) on the regular anymore are potheads living in mom’s basement.
I just showed my mon your post and she hasn't stopped laughing. Long live Skygazer!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I just showed my mon your post and she hasn't stopped laughing. Long live Skygazer!!!!!!!!
Now I’m really curious. Who is your mon? Taylor is a good guy and he takes great pride in the beers he brews. I have no doubt you’re getting those Watercolors Synergy Xmas variants!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I just showed my mom your post and she hasn't stopped laughing. Long live Skygazer!!!!!!!!
Fixed it for me.

In all seriousness...I avoid Skygazer except for their occasional IPAs. Always excellent.

The only fruit puree brews I buy are those Treachery of Fruits. They're awesome guilty pleasures.

Reaction Score
Fixed it for me.

In all seriousness...I avoid Skygazer except for their occasional IPAs. Always excellent.

The only fruit puree brews I buy are those Treachery of Fruits. They're awesome guilty pleasures.
Ditto. I am Short Throw fanboy. I consider those guys among the most underrated brewers in the U.S. Their IPAs and stouts are so good. And those Treachery gose variants are delicious without the insane sweetness of kettle sours.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Fixed it for me.

The trillium Daily Serving's are all excellent.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So you’re still into the nigh-bitter 10% triple IPAs with 4 different hops, 3 of which you’ve never heard before?

That’s what I’m talking about
I've heard of almost all of the hops at this point. I don't much like the triples, simply because it's just too much. Triple Sunshine is amazing. I tend to choose IPAs over Doubles for the same reason. Just too heavy, filling, too many calories. But yeah, I love New England Style IPAs that are juice, citrusy or maybe dank, with minimal bitterness and soft mouthfeel. Among craft beers, based on sales, those are still dominant for a reason.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Happy Thanksgiving. This is disappointing really.
96E2F102-9B39-49A3-8903-DA7C5F63571B.jpeg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My brother and SIL from Danbury visited for the long weekend and came bearing gifts.

Screenshot 2022-11-28 17.29.28.png

The pour is the Positive Outcomes. Quite the head. Good, but a bit of green apple-ish tart bite to it. Might be the first Nelson hops I've had. Not a direct hit for my palate, but certainly a 4-pack I'll finish quickly. I'd asked my brother to find more Eager to Share, but it was sold out at the store where he went and this was the only Marlowe IPA available.

I had a Combover on T-day. Wasn't intending to, but when I was pulling apart the 4-pak, one started hissing, so I drank it at 10:30am and didn't linger over it much. I wasn't prepared to give it its due, so that'll wait for another day.

The Flurpy is not one I'd buy for myself. It's interesting, and I can see the appeal, but it's a rare occasion when I'd order a stout flavored this strongly. Does taste like you dropped chocolate ice cream and a drop of vanilla into a good milk stout. Just not my thing.

Reaction Score
My brother and SIL from Danbury visited for the long weekend and came bearing gifts.

View attachment 81248
The pour is the Positive Outcomes. Quite the head. Good, but a bit of green apple-ish tart bite to it. Might be the first Nelson hops I've had. Not a direct hit for my palate, but certainly a 4-pack I'll finish quickly. I'd asked my brother to find more Eager to Share, but it was sold out at the store where he went and this was the only Marlowe IPA available.

I had a Combover on T-day. Wasn't intending to, but when I was pulling apart the 4-pak, one started hissing, so I drank it at 10:30am and didn't linger over it much. I wasn't prepared to give it its due, so that'll wait for another day.

The Flurpy is not one I'd buy for myself. It's interesting, and I can see the appeal, but it's a rare occasion when I'd order a stout flavored this strongly. Does taste like you dropped chocolate ice cream and a drop of vanilla into a good milk stout. Just not my thing.
Combover is a great NEIPA but bear in mind that that is NOT the flagship style of Schillings; they’re a Czech-European style brewery with just a smaller arm of American style beers. A very good beer in its own right, but doesn’t sniff any of the good stuff they do. Not sure if they export their traditional stuff, luckily I am close and can try all their new releases!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Combover is a great NEIPA but bear in mind that that is NOT the flagship style of Schillings; they’re a Czech-European style brewery with just a smaller arm of American style beers. A very good beer in its own right, but doesn’t sniff any of the good stuff they do. Not sure if they export their traditional stuff, luckily I am close and can try all their new releases!
A decent NEIPA is still better than the best Pilsner ever made. Fight me. ;)

Reaction Score
Doubtful, but I'd still like to try it! Which one is that @karstenkibbe ?
That deliciousness is Stands to Reason, a smoked lager from Suarez Family Brewery in Livingston, NY. It’s probably the best representation of the style available in the Northeast. It’s a completely different palate experience from drinking Very Green!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That deliciousness is Stands to Reason, a smoked lager from Suarez Family Brewery in Livingston, NY. It’s probably the best representation of the style available in the Northeast. It’s a completely different palate experience from drinking Very Green!
Very Green isn't really a favorite of mine (Juice Machine, King Julius, Julius...), but I get the point. I've never seen that here in Mass, but maybe I'll grab some Smoke & Dagger, always enjoy that.

I may grab some Mayflower Porter too. It's still the best U.S. Porter I've had that wasn't some special barrel aged thing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Went to the local brewery nearby, and I had an Octoberfest called Marsen. It’s actually quite good. This brewery has slowly gotten better and we like to support them.
9F5EACD4-9EE2-439D-B64C-9EF2F75D31BA.jpeg

Reaction Score
Went to the local brewery nearby, and I had an Octoberfest called Marsen. It’s actually quite good. This brewery has slowly gotten better and we like to support them.
View attachment 81439
Marzen is one of my favorite lager styles - a little sweeter and more malty, which I dig. Love seeing them on tap and in cans during the fall months. Major props for supporting your local brewery.

Reaction Score

Marzen is one of my favorite lager styles - a little sweeter and more malty, which I dig. Love seeing them on tap and in cans during the fall months. Major props for supporting your local brewery

By Bavarian tradition an Oktoberfestbier is pretty much by definition a Märzenbier. It used be that they did not brew beer in the summer months, so in March (März) they would brew a style of beer with more hops, malt and alcohol content so they could store it for several months in cool cellars. By late September Fests it was the only beer available (except maybe some insufficiently lagered "green beer" from early in the restarted brewing season.)

Reaction Score
By Bavarian tradition an Oktoberfestbier is pretty much by definition a Märzenbier. It used be that they did not brew beer in the summer months, so in March (März) they would brew a style of beer with more hops, malt and alcohol content so they could store it for several months in cool cellars. By late September Fests it was the only beer available (except maybe some insufficiently lagered "green beer" from early in the restarted brewing season.)
I think @HuskyHawk knows that a marzen is a Festbier. In this case, the actual name of the beer IS Marsen, which, guessing HH’s locale, is from 67 Degrees Brewing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think @HuskyHawk knows that a marzen is a Festbier. In this case, the actual name of the beer IS Marsen, which, guessing HH’s locale, is from 67 Degrees Brewing.
Indeed, most Festbiers are Marzens and that’s the one. No idea why it was named with an S except to stand out. It’s a small brewery run by several Haitian cousins/brothers. Opened in February 2020, so they had a rough start.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Visited a new to me brewery, Angle Tree. Had their NEIPA which was ok, and a barrel aged porter that was pretty good. Oddly, the Kolsch was the highest Abv beer. Weird.
C88E8112-803E-4E03-964F-4A3217048DFB.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Had this bad boy yesterday. A little collaboration from Fidens out of Albany and Ober Creek in Dutchess County. @HuskyHawk I have a feeling this one would be in your DIPA sweet spot. Loaded with Citra, Motueka, Galaxy, Simcoe and Mosaic.

102773FA-52A8-4F6C-8A60-11E18911E9F6.jpeg

Reaction Score
I may get excommunicated from New England, but I am a long-time (20+ years) West-Coast-bitter IPA hophead lover, with a strong preference over the fruity, clinging, malty East Coast IPAs.

I live in Connecticut, but love travelling to Portland or Seattle for what I consider "true" IPAs.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I may get excommunicated from New England, but I am a long-time (20+ years) West-Coast-bitter IPA hophead lover, with a strong preference over the fruity, clinging, malty East Coast IPAs.

I live in Connecticut, but love travelling to Portland or Seattle for what I consider "true" IPAs.
You're good. I don't think any of the regulars here would turn down a WCIPA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom