Bears breaking into homes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bears breaking into homes

Reaction Score
Anyone having this problem?

The article has some good recommendations about taking in bird feeders from March to November and keeping barbecue grills in a garage or shed when not being used.

Reaction Score
Would that be rush as in your bowels vacating? I’ve had a couple of close encounters with bears in the Adirondacks. It is intimidating. They had absolutely no fear of humans.
It was definitely close to that!

I was in my garage putting something in the trunk of my car. I turned around and there was a biggun walking through my driveway about 5 feet away. There was an audible gasp and he/she looked right at me and I just froze! Thought my heart was going to pound through my chest. Amazing creature.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I was visiting my brother in Glastonbury over the Memorial Day weekend. He has security camera video of a mother bear and three cubs climbing a fence and marching across his backyard.

Earlier in the year, a bobcat walked through the yard. Years ago when I still lived in CT, bobcat sightings were extremely rare. Not sure about today.
'not sure about today.'
ok, how aboot yesterday. walkin out to field where a veggie garden grows to check on a new variety of lopes that we planted, spidey sense kicks in and i whipsaw looking to the east. nailed it. a young, mebbe 25 lbs or so bobcat is coming out of the forest, ambling my way aboot a 100 feet or so, but moving with purpose. my first thought, and probably true, was 'that's whose been chomping on another dead blacksnake caught up in the garden's deer netting.' a longstanding tale oft told here. biggest so far blew thru 9 feet, not this one. mebbe 5 feet long. if i find them before they die, i usually try to free them, unless im in a mood of 'whelp, other creatures have to eat, too. animules, do ur thing.'
unusual for me as i often see them in winter, just before a wicked cold spell is aboot to come ('last licks' lol.), but not in the summertimes.
of course, the stank from a half chewed snake can spread far and wide, and draw in the hungry critters.
of course, i yelled at him sumthing jokey, and he casually abootfaced.
checked the snakebody this am, gone. eatin good in the hood i guess.

late may, june, is when the one and a half year old, or so, cubs get booted by their moms- 'i've given u the tools, now get out!'
and then they end up on channel 3. i liked the one recently where the bear was running around the outfield with the high school players.
locally, there's one (or more?) mosey'n around by messerschmidt now.
not far from the rt 80/rt145 pizzaria, which, coincidentally, i was waiting for delivery of two awesome pies when i decided to walk out to that garden.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Black Bear took apart my rubbermaid shed in Vermont. Snapping some impressive plastic parts (which are hard to break because they aren't brittle). Demolished my Weber kettle grill too.

Haven't seen one in Mass, even though I'm in the woods. I keep my feeders out, but may stop because the squirrels are now chewing up the thing I store seed in outside. Chewing through the plastic. Tree vermin.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Black Bear took apart my rubbermaid shed in Vermont. Snapping some impressive plastic parts (which are hard to break because they aren't brittle). Demolished my Weber kettle grill too.

Haven't seen one in Mass, even though I'm in the woods. I keep my feeders out, but may stop because the squirrels are now chewing up the thing I store seed in outside. Chewing through the plastic. Tree vermin.
Tree vermin
gospel truth on that. i say 'put a bounty on each and every one of them,' and not becuz i have a half dozen or so gas cans where the nozzle, or even the thicker plastic of the body, are chewed up and thru.
many, many other reasons, including the quite common stories of folks gettin the inside of their house messed up by those varmints.
blast 'em, turn them into winter coats sez us. at least that would make them somewhat useful. all the rest of nature? our pals. squirrels? blast them.
spring and fall are especially happy times for us members of the anti-squirrel club, cuz their hormones make them even dafter than normal, and then u see them dead all over the roads cuz well, they think they're.... check that. pro tip: who really knows what a squirrel thinks? they don't even know what they're thinking. squirrely.

Reaction Score
Live in a townhome in Simsbury with a tree line separating our backyard and a golf course. Plenty of ground animals around to interest critters.. Bears/coyotes/bobcats/fisher cats/eagles to name a few.. Have had multiple visits from black bears including Mama and the cubs.. They enjoy raiding garbage containers on garbage day..

Have often wondered if you are walking your dog on leash--in your yard--And a bear is between you and your back deck.. How do you handle that? Not sure acting bigger than the bear or making a ton of noise is tremendously helpful. Any suggestions from Yarders with experience is appreciated as this is a very real potential scenario. Daily bear sightings in our neighborhood.

Edit: Have heard of but never seen myself mountain lion sightings in town.

Last edited:

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Wouldn’t be too mad if a bear took out my grill at this point. Have a nice Weber until Mrs StllH8L8ner decided to make a burger for lunch while working from home, forgot to put the cover down and it started pouring rain so it made a mess underneath that she tried to clean but then broke the cap that holds the battery to the starter. It’s actually not bad and I can manage obviously but if I guilt her enough, I can parlay it into a new one for Fathers Day.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Bears have had a ton of arrests in the past couple of decades, not surprised if they're breaking into homes too.

Reaction Score
Black bears are large, five times as strong as a human, can run 30 miles an hours, are tremendous climbers and have teeth and claws and inch or two long.

The bears eventually become accustom to humans. They lose their fear and then there are problems. It will stop being a rush and become a danger. Incidents between humans and bears will continue to increase as the bear population in Connecticut increases.

While the bears rarely kill humans, most incidents where humans are injured begin as skirmishes with dogs. These are wild animals. Be careful. And NEVER run away from a bear.
You’re telling me a bear is five times stronger than The Rock! My money is on The Rock

Reaction Score
A friend sent me a photo of a large black bear at his feeder. He lives in Meriden in the neighborhood between East Main St and Rte 66. Had a yellow tag on one ear.

Reaction Score
Live in a townhome in Simsbury with a tree line separating our backyard and a golf course. Plenty of ground animals around to interest critters.. Bears/coyotes/bobcats/fisher cats/eagles to name a few.. Have had multiple visits from black bears including Mama and the cubs.. They enjoy raiding garbage containers on garbage day..

Have often wondered if you are walking your dog on leash--in your yard--And a bear is between you and your back deck.. How do you handle that? Not sure acting bigger than the bear or making a ton of noise is tremendously helpful. Any suggestions from Yarders with experience is appreciated as this is a very real potential scenario. Daily bear sightings in our neighborhood.

Make a lot of noises and slowly back away. Don’t turn your back.

Also, mountain lions don’t live in CT. On rare occasions one travels down from Canada. But no mountain lions here natively .

Reaction Score

In that case, I'd just take a big loop to the front of the house. Not really quite sure what you're asking here.

The act big, be loud thing is usually for aggressive bears. You want to make some noise so you don't surprise them, but just keeping your space should be fine. Black bears aren't aggressive.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

As long as it’s reasonably possible, I’d walk back away from the bear the way I came. That’s supposed to be your best bet. I have used it when I was between two bears in the dark. That’ll get your heart pounding.

I’ve also done the acting big thing; it helps, but I wouldn’t use it as a first option. Don’t underestimate the value of being loud, as bear will often get out of your way if you are.

Reaction Score
Black bears are very very rarely aggressive. They behave way more like a raccoon than a grizzly. Unless you provoke a momma bear with cubs, they won't harm you. Just keep your dog on a leash if you are hiking, and keep an eye on them if you don't have a fenced in yard. There is a bear family that lives in the woods behind my house so I've seen the momma with cubs quite often over the years, my dog will bark at them (from inside) but they just ignore him and keep wandering around.

I wish people would stop reporting sightings because some bears get killed for no reason at all. They're incredibly smart animals, they don't want to attack people. I'd be more afraid seeing an off-leash pitbull than I would be seeing a black bear

Yes, bears are rarely aggressive. They don't want to attack you. Pit bulls generally reflect their owners. Loving owners have loving dogs.

Bears are wild animals. Instinct directs their actions. Bears are hard wired to chase down anything that runs away from them. And that is often your first urge when you come across a bear. As bear/human interactions increase, and they will as the bear population rises, there are more opportunities for the event to go south.

I am simply urging caution. Do not become complacent around these animals. And absolutely avoid them if possible.

Reaction Score
Make a lot of noises and slowly back away. Don’t turn your back.

Also, mountain lions don’t live in CT. On rare occasions one travels down from Canada. But no mountain lions here natively .
Have talked to cops/animal control people.. They're here

Reaction Score
Have talked to cops/animal control people.. They're here

If they aren’t in upstate (Northern) NY they are not in CT. Someone is feeding you a line - you sound like my neighbor in Northern NY - “i’ve sen ‘em crossing the road, DEC reintroduced them, my uncle earl has a picture of one, etc., etc.”

I spend a lot of time in the woods in remote areas as do a lot of other hunters and i mean remote. Next to impossible to avoid all the trail cams today.

But believe what you want.

Reaction Score
If they aren’t in upstate (Northern) NY they are not in CT. Someone is feeding you a line - you sound like my neighbor in Northern NY - “i’ve sen ‘em crossing the road, DEC reintroduced them, my uncle earl has a picture of one, etc., etc.”

I spend a lot of time in the woods in remote areas as do a lot of other hunters and i mean remote. Next to impossible to avoid all the trail cams today.

But believe what you want.
I am not a hunter but have a friend who is a Ct based hunter. He has motion sensor trail cams on his property and has seen evidence of them being there based on how they move at night and how they attempt to disguise a deer kill on his property. There have also been car accidents on the Merritt Parkway involving the deaths of mountain lions(evidence is there). I have also had discussions with local animal control officers and cops about this.

Believe what you want.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Walk another direction and circle back around or wait for it to leave. Unless it's munching on your garbage, it won't stay for long. No need to try to scare it off in that situation. If it happens to have cubs with it, definitely go in another direction.

I live in Simsbury too, and see bears all the time, every time I've seen a bear that's not eating or protecting cubs, it runs when it sees/hears me.

There are no Mountain Lions in CT. People confuse Bobcats with Mountain Lions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom