OT: BCU fires Donahue | The Boneyard

OT: BCU fires Donahue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No surprise. Maybe they bring back Skinner.

Reaction Score
Better to be good and in a mediocre conference than to simply suck. Donahue was a debacle at BC and their basketball program now has zero identity

Reaction Score
Now they have 1 fan and no coach.

Boston-College-Student-Section.jpg

Reaction Score
Was Skinner all that bad? Never got why the got rid of the guy.

Reaction Score
Ed Cooley?

Al Skinner protege, so maybe not if Al has hard feelings about the way he was let go.

He says that PC is his dream job, but we know how that goes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
BC is the elephant grave yard of coaching jobs. It's where careers go to die.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I bet PC fans are nervous.
PC pays Cooley over a million a year, surprisingly enough. They were probably hemming and hawing about making a run at Pearl if they got rid of Donahue. Shouldn't have waited.

Reaction Score
I think a smart guy like Amaker will turn them down. I would be stunned if Cooley left his situation for that mess.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ivy League again? Because it worked so well the first time.

Reaction Score
I bet PC fans are nervous.

PC fans are not nervous. Cooley is from Providence, PC has decent fan support and is relevant in Providence and Rhode Island, plays in a better facility than BC, has an easier travel schedule playing similar schools, and the BE still has MSG. And, in their current conferences, it's easier to win at PC than at BC.

Personally, I think BC will target Tommy Amaker of Harvard. He doesn't have to move his family and he returns to the ACC.

Reaction Score
Ivy League again? Because it worked so well the first time.

Amaker coached in the Big East and Big 10 with modest success, although he had to deal with inherited sanctions at Michigan and was shafted in the end. In my opinion, he has become a much better coach over the past few years. He's only 48, but he has coached for 17 years.

Reaction Score
PC fans are not nervous. Cooley is from Providence, PC has decent fan support and is relevant in Providence and Rhode Island, plays in a better facility than BC, has an easier travel schedule playing similar schools, and the BE still has MSG. And, in their current conferences, it's easier to win at PC than at BC.

Personally, I think BC will target Tommy Amaker of Harvard. He doesn't have to move his family and he returns to the ACC.

Being relevant in Providence isn't really being relevant.

Reaction Score

If they were definitively going after Amaker, why not wait until after the weekend to fire Donahue so that they could get some immediate momentum? I'd guess they have a list of 5-ish and Amaker's on it.

Skinner didn't play the PR game, was very much a laissez faire coach and kind of a d-I-c-K. He won in spite of himself, but they can't eat crow and go back to that.

Reaction Score
Amaker would have to be crazy to take that job, Harvard's recruits keep getting better and better every year and he an easy path to at least getting to the NCAAs and going from there. He's better off waiting until something better comes along if he wants to jump, he's still young enough to wait it out.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Amaker was declared a raging success before he'd done anything at either Seton Hall or Michigan just by virtue of his Duke background. When it came to actual wins, he was sort of meh.

Reaction Score
What about money?

Amaker doesn't make that much at Harvard and BC can pay much more. But, Amaker likes Harvard and he has a life long job if he wants it. Personally, I think Harvard is the better job today, but it doesn't pay that well.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
I think Cooley makes closer to 2 mil per year...definitely out of BC's budget!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Skinner didn't recruit a single first year player before his last year at BC. He also bad mouthed them in the Boston Globe a couple months ago, which some attributed to sour grapes. There is animosity on all sides. My guess is the chances he is associated with BC at any point in the future resides between slim and none.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Regarding Amaker, why would he give up a job he probably has in perpetuity? BC can pay him, but for how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom