Baylor scores 136 points | The Boneyard

Baylor scores 136 points

Reaction Score
You play who you can. I hope Baylor puts up telephone numbers against punching bags until they play UConn. :)
Other than Baylor's loss this will be the 1st true test for both teams. Media hype will be intense.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It really is embarrassing that Baylor continues to play teams like Northwestern St, who have absolutely no chance to compete with the Lady Bears. Northwestern St started 4 guards, 3 of whom are 5’6”, 1 at 5’10” and a 6’1” forward. Three Baylor Bigs all scored 20+ points against their diminutive opposition.

I know teams need games this season. But this was a one-sided slaughter, masquerading as a basketball game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In fairness, no one played over 20 or so minutes. pretty much everyone was between 16 and 22 minutes. But they did score 36 or so points in Q4. Not sure if they slowed the game down at all - or if they did full court press the entire game.

Reaction Score
Damn pandemic. Teams don't learn anything from games like this. UMass-Lowell was the same thing.
I wish we had a couple of serious games before Baylor. I think only UConn fans are worried about losing. I don't think Geno could care less. Chance to see the players respond to real situations. Do we remember that sweet bank shot Crystal made freshman year early in the season? (Baylor I think) Christyn against ND her freshman year. I swear, I think really good players get bored. They have to create their own motivation most of the time. The ACC Men's when I was coming up- 70's and early 80's. Every team, every night. Best sports documentary of all time: 30 for 30: Requiem for the Big East. Imagine being a top D1 player and having 2 huge games every week. How fun would that be!
I'm surprised no one threw together a Christmas Tournament.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Damn pandemic. Teams don't learn anything from games like this. UMass-Lowell was the same thing.
I wish we had a couple of serious games before Baylor. I think only UConn fans are worried about losing. I don't think Geno could care less. Chance to see the players respond to real situations. Do we remember that sweet bank shot Crystal made freshman year early in the season? (Baylor I think) Christyn against ND her freshman year. I swear, I think really good players get bored. They have to create their own motivation most of the time. The ACC Men's when I was coming up- 70's and early 80's. Every team, every night. Best sports documentary of all time: 30 for 30: Requiem for the Big East. Imagine being a top D1 player and having 2 huge games every week. How fun would that be!
I'm surprised no one threw together a Christmas Tournament.
Marquette is a good team. We have a home & home series now scheduled prior to the Baylor game.

Reaction Score
I saw the half time score and thought it was a mistake.
Allan Bestwick did say last night during the game that UConn expects to add a few games to the schedule before the Baylor game. I don't see much room: Dec 19, 22, 30, Jan 2, then Baylor on the 7th. (Did they already add, were the two Marquette games on there?) I trust that Anna and NIka are staying in storrs.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I saw the half time score and thought it was a mistake.
Allan Bestwick did say last night during the game that UConn expects to add a few games to the schedule before the Baylor game. I don't see much room: Dec 19, 22, 30, Jan 2, then Baylor on the 7th. (Did they already add, were the two Marquette games on there?) I trust that Anna and NIka are staying in storrs.
The Marquette games were added today as the BE finalized the rest of their season schedule.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It really is embarrassing that Baylor continues to play teams like Northwestern St, who have absolutely no chance to compete with the Lady Bears. Northwestern St started 4 guards, 3 of whom are 5’6”, 1 at 5’10” and a 6’1” forward. Three Baylor Bigs all scored 20+ points against their diminutive opposition.

I know teams need games this season. But this was a one-sided slaughter, masquerading as a basketball game.

They play McNeese State next who is arguably even worse. That said, all teams schedule a few non conference games they know will be complete blowouts, and whether it's a 200 RPI team vs 300+ RPI doesn't matter much to me or usually make a huge difference in the final margin. UCONN just played UMass-Lowell who only put up 18 points until there were under 2 minutes left, and they finished with just 24. They also started a small roster with 4 players between 5'6" and 5'10" and had a 6-1 front court player. Final margin was less, but the game was not any more competitive than the Baylor/NW State game.

The bigger issue with Baylor is that Kim usually loads up her non-conf with mostly these types of games rather than just a couple. Her non-conf this year is actually pretty decent for Kim, as she has her team facing UCONN, South Florida and Arkansas, all of whom are in the top 25.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They play McNeese State next who is arguably even worse. That said, all teams schedule a few non conference games they know will be complete blowouts, and whether it's a 200 RPI team vs 300+ RPI doesn't matter much to me or usually make a huge difference in the final margin. UCONN just played UMass-Lowell who only put up 18 points until there were under 2 minutes left, and they finished with just 24. They also started a small roster with 4 players between 5'6" and 5'10" and had a 6-1 front court player. Final margin was less, but the game was not any more competitive than the Baylor/NW State game.

The bigger issue with Baylor is that Kim usually loads up her non-conf with mostly these types of games rather than just a couple. Her non-conf this year is actually pretty decent for Kim, as she has her team facing UCONN, South Florida and Arkansas, all of whom are in the top 25.
UConn does not play non-conference blowout games as a rule. Typically, UConn schedules the toughest OOC schedule in WBB.

The UMass-Lowell game was a fill in game set up only after UConn was forced to cancel games vs Quinnipiac, MS St & Louisville, all of which would have been legitimate opponents. Both UConn & UML were searching for a game following multiple cancellations, it was an easy bus trip and obviously Shea is married to UML’s HC, so setting the game up took 5 minutes.

Baylor regularly schedules OOC cupcakes every year. Big difference.

Reaction Score
Age old problem. Scheduling.
Question: How much more competitive is WCBB at the top echelon than it was say, 1995, Geno's first NC? I mean a game that you could lose if you don't play well. Doesn't have to be the final 4. Could UConn not show up and lose to 20 teams in WCBB? 15 teams? 10 teams? 5 teams?
How about back in 1995? It doesn't seem that different now. Teams might be different. I remember ODU and Louisiana Tech, USC, etc.
I want to see some games. College basketball should have good games every night.

Reaction Score
A shame we can't send our players 6-12 for a game with Baylor or anyone. Would give them meaningful minutes and would be a better game.

Reaction Score
Baylor does love to run up the points against an inferior team! Can't wait for the game January 9th to see just how good they really are!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When I see a score like that I have to wonder what are you working on. I didnt see the game however to score that many points there has to be alot of layups run and gun plays. If so that proves nothing. These early season games are imo to work on and tweak players and develop underclassman. This game doesnt sound like that.

Reaction Score
I don't remember anybody complaints too much when Uconn beats St Francis 140-52 a few years ago.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't remember anybody complaints too much when Uconn beats St Francis 140-52 a few years ago.
Here again, UConn had nothing to do with scheduling that game. It was an NCAA tournament game scheduled by the committee. My problem with Baylor is that they schedule a handful of cupcakes every season.

Reaction Score
Here again, UConn had nothing to do with scheduling that game. It was an NCAA tournament game scheduled by the committee. My problem with Baylor is that they schedule a handful of cupcakes every season.

There are other games where Uconn scored 124, 116, which is really not that much different than 136 :)

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed about Mulkey is that she will often go out of her way to build up the stats of her players to help their draft status and consideration for All Star teams. She certainly did that with Sims and it got her drafted number two. But this did not help her adjust to the next level because it took her a number of years to do so. There were a number of players on the present team who's stats needed some building up and games like this will certainly help in doing that. At the end of the year or a players career, few will remember in which games or how the lion share of the positive stats were acquired.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but regardless of whether Kim Mulkey has scheduled cupcakes or not we've still lost to them the 2 meetings away and home so it doesn't matter. She's still one heck of a coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom