Baylor loses, but likely means nothing, | The Boneyard

Baylor loses, but likely means nothing,

Reaction Score
Well, it does mean something. As the landscape in WCBB changes, and becomes more equitable, no team is without risk of a once unthinkable stumble. This emerging reality may prove to be salutary for our favorite team, a team for which a twelfth National Championship in 2020 seemed like an unreachable goal just a few weeks ago. Alas, the corollary is also true...let's hope such stumbles are absent from the Huskies' horizon!

Reaction Score
Iowa State beat 'em with the 3!!!

it means something to the bubble teams .... does this put Iowa State into the NCAA Tournament?

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
I don't know what that particular loss means for UConn but it adds to the evidence that we may do better in the NCAAs that we thought possible a couple of months ago. Correct me if I'm wrong but while the big 3 have been winning they don't consistently win big. By 15 or 25, not as much by 40 or 50. The really good UConn teams won by 30 only on a bad day or against good teams. Average or worse teams lost by 50+. I'm not as sure about Oregon, but my sense is that Baylor and SC are good but not great and are beatable - as today showed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Unranked Iowa St stuns No. 2 Baylor, ending Lady Bears Big 12 streak.
This is a bad loss for Baylor, but as Ralph says, they will retain their #1 tournament seed. :confused:

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I’m stunned. I’ve been told numerous times that the Big 3 can’t possibly lose to a “lesser” team.
Huh! You’re talking to crazy people then. Two of the three already had by Christmas, and Oregon did again in losing at ASU... I think the consensus this season is that with the possible exception of South Carolina, everyone is vulnerable.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I didn't know Iowa and Iowa State belongs to different leagues until now...one is Big 12 one is Big Ten.

Yep!! Like Colorado (Pac 12) and Colorado State (Mountain West). There are others, i.e., New Mexico (Mountain West) & New Mexico State (WAC). ;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I’m stunned. I’ve been told numerous times that the Big 3 can’t possibly lose to a “lesser” team.
It had to be the refs. After all, whenever UConn loses many here on the BY blame the officiating. How is this any different?

Reaction Score
Must be fake news then. After all...........no one in the AAC conf. is capable of overtaking such behemoths :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Two major factors in the outcome of basketball games are " matchups and timing" with timing being made up of several different sub-factors. If a team faces the right combination of one or both they must be vastly superior to be immune to an upset.

The idea that the top three were immune to upsets was an assumption made by UConn fans because of the ease that they beat the Huskys. What was not considered was that UConn did not match up well with any of those teams so that factor was eliminated from the beginning. They also assumed that Uconn was the third-best team in the NAtion. This was purely a best-case scenario rationalization that surmised that if UConn could not beat them then no other team could either.

I stated in another thread that even if UConn ended up in the same bracket as one of the top three, they still had a chance to make it to the final four if some other team upset the top three team that was in their bracket. There are many other teams that because of favorable matchup and with a bit of luck through timing have a better chance of knocking off the top three teams than UConn would.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Huh? Two of the three already had by Christmas, and Oregon did again in losing at ASU... I think the consensus this season is that with the possible exception of South Carolina, everyone is vulnerable.
Umm, perhaps she should have used the sarcasm emoji, but the point is that many people on this board have been saying there is no way that UConn can beat Oregon, Baylor or South Carolina in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Baylor is a bully team, lots of brawn, hard to overcome but beatable. Rain down threes and don’t be intimidated by Kim’s hair, they are beatable.
I think you mean "jacket".

Reactions: mmt

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yep!! Like Colorado (Pac 12) and Colorado State (Mountain West). There are others, i.e., New Mexico (Mountain West) & New Mexico State (WAC). ;)

Virginia (ACC) Virginia State (CIAA), South Carolina (SEC) South Carolina State (MEAC););)

Reaction Score
Baylor is a bully team, lots of brawn, hard to overcome but beatable. Rain down threes and don’t be intimidated by Kim’s hair, they are beatable.
Kim's Hair is really hard to beat. ou need a very creative coach for that to happen.

Reaction Score
Well it doesn't mean nothing to Iowa State. It was fun watching them after the game. Too bad it wasn't on ESPN.
I actually found it on a FoxSports+ channel that I didn't know existed since I don't have a premium sports subscription. What an ending!

Reaction Score
Iowa State beat 'em with the 3!!!

it means something to the bubble teams .... does this put Iowa State into the NCAA Tournament?
Iowa State was already in, but they should move up from their projected #10 seed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom