OT: battery powered outdoor equipment | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: battery powered outdoor equipment

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
New(ish) homeowner here. I have been contemplating getting a chainsaw for some time, and my existing hand-me-down leaf blower just kicked the bucket.

Considering getting a battery powered leaf blower/chainsaw that is operated by the same rechargeable battery pack.

I know gas is better, and battery may not be as powerful... But I have a relatively small property to maintain (less than half acre).

Has anyone had any experience with battery powered outdoor equipment? Is the lack of power noticeable or a detriment compared to gas powered? Battery worth the convenience and lack of maintenance vs gas? Any brand in particular?

Reaction Score
I have Greenworks blower, weed wacker and lawn mower and it all works great. I have 1.5 acres and lots of trees/weeds/bushes. Everything works great. The ease of the electric far outweigh the battery annoyance.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Absolutely! I have almost 2 acres and have a law guy that mows, edges and blows the yard down after for $50 a week. It also looks a helluva lot better than when I used a riding mower. For me, it’s worth it.

I do that too. But my leaf volume is so high that I need to deal with some of those. Most weeks in the fall you can't even see my grass within a day or two of the landscapers coming. And now I'm using the battery pack blower to get seeds and pollen off of everything.

Reaction Score
My elderly father bought an EGO 56V mower. I was skeptical. It’s great. Really impressed.

For power tools I have had good experiences with Milwaukee, Makita, and Ryobi.

My Husqvarna backpack blower is priceless. I would not consider a battery alternative. I only put in their brand fuel mix. It’s expensive but the hassle of bad fuel isn’t worth the savings.

Stihl chainsaw is going strong after 20 years. I don’t think I could replace it with battery for what I do, but for yard branches battery would be ok. I just cut up an 8 inch diam tree from storm damage.

I could see going Battery for everything but the blower. I’d try EGO based on the mower.

Reaction Score
My elderly father bought an EGO 56V mower. I was skeptical. It’s great. Really impressed.

For power tools I have had good experiences with Milwaukee, Makita, and Ryobi.

My Husqvarna backpack blower is priceless. I would not consider a battery alternative. I only put in their brand fuel mix. It’s expensive but the hassle of bad fuel isn’t worth the savings.

Stihl chainsaw is going strong after 20 years. I don’t think I could replace it with battery for what I do, but for yard branches battery would be ok. I just cut up an 8 inch diam tree from storm damage.

I could see going Battery for everything but the blower. I’d try EGO based on the mower.
The EGO 56v top-of-the-line blower has the highest cfm and mph of any blower, gas, electric, or battery. I ~think~ it includes backpack blowers too. I’ve tried a few gas and 1 backpack to see if I can clear leaves off a pool cover. Needs to move them about 18’ so I don’t have to rake or sweep from the other side, and only the backpack came close. The backpack was Husquavarna or Stihl. The handhelds were Stihl and Honda(?). They get about 15’. My corded electric does about 10-12’. If anyone can help, I’m listening. ;^)

Reaction Score
Ego is the best battery lawn equipment I have used. It is simply awesome. I also have Kobalt mower, got a great deal, it also works great, a second battery is a good idea though. I also have a gas Husqvarna backpack blower never had any issues with it. As for tools Milwaukee is the best followed close by Makita and DeWalt. But if your not a pro and want Milwaukee get 12 volt fuel, less $. I have some Milwaukee 12 volt for working on cars. They have plenty of power, more then a lot of cheaper 18-20 volt systems. Or save $ and go lesser brand like Ridgid or Kobalt. I have mostly Ridgid tools for home. Work great and plenty of power. If you register it they have lifetime service agreement on tools and batteries. I have drill, impact driver, 1/2 impact wrench, sawzall, job site blower and hammer drill. I never had an issue with any of it. Never had Ryobi but have heard both good and bad on them - a lot cheaper though. Thats my 2 cents with a lot of tools and some pro experience.

Reaction Score
The EGO 56v top-of-the-line blower has the highest cfm and mph of any blower, gas, electric, or battery. I ~think~ it includes backpack blowers too. I’ve tried a few gas and 1 backpack to see if I can clear leaves off a pool cover. Needs to move them about 18’ so I don’t have to rake or sweep from the other side, and only the backpack came close. The backpack was Husquavarna or Stihl. The handhelds were Stihl and Honda(?). They get about 15’. My corded electric does about 10-12’. If anyone can help, I’m listening. ;^)
EGO top blower is 650 CFM vs 941 cfm for the Husqvarna blower. I’ve used other blowers, gas and electric. My Husqvarna is the best I’ve tried. Every bit helps when you are moving debris

Reaction Score
Just got this one for the same use case, plus garage and driveway. Works fine. Not as powerful as my Toro plug in and certainly not up with my Husqvarna backpack. Wasn’t fully charged so it will probably be a bit stronger than it was out of the box. Works fine for what I need. Light and easy to use.
I picked up the same one yesterday. Even my wife enjoys using it. Even. My. Wife. Enjoys. Using. It.

It also came with a a higher capacity battery that's compatible with some of my other Ryobi cordless tools which is a plus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom