OT: battery powered outdoor equipment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: battery powered outdoor equipment

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
New(ish) homeowner here. I have been contemplating getting a chainsaw for some time, and my existing hand-me-down leaf blower just kicked the bucket.

Considering getting a battery powered leaf blower/chainsaw that is operated by the same rechargeable battery pack.

I know gas is better, and battery may not be as powerful... But I have a relatively small property to maintain (less than half acre).

Has anyone had any experience with battery powered outdoor equipment? Is the lack of power noticeable or a detriment compared to gas powered? Battery worth the convenience and lack of maintenance vs gas? Any brand in particular?

Reaction Score
Curious about what size EGO leafblower... their top of line has the highest number of mph and cubic feet moved of any leafblower.

I was considering a mower, leafblower, and trimmer from them as the batteries are interchangeable. My gas mower is about 20 yo, and on its last legs, and based on my newer snowblower, new gas appliances suck. Had to get a new carburetor after first year. Use only TrueFuel now, and Seafoam after doing a complete empty. I used to use the same 87 octane gas year after year with no problems on the old snowblower, and the lawnmower has been treated the same way. The new stuff is terrible.

EGO stuff is the best. We have the blower, the weed whacker, they clippers/bush trimmers and most recently I purchased the chain saw. The little bastard isn't taking down any huge trees but it has no issues with the crap that grows heavy around the yard as well as all of the trees 2,3,4 inch around, like candy for it. Add to that we just picked up the lawn mower for our son as our old one I gave him for his yard was crapping out. He loves it and it does a wonderful job. Just have enough chargers and this set is the way to go. EGO!!!

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
I have an Ivation 16 inch 15 amp corded Chainsaw that is strong and cuts nicely. I’ve taken down some decent sized trees with it. It’s not battery powered, but if you had a 50ft or 100ft extension, it does the job.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. Sounds like electric is not a bad way to go. How about best brands? Worx sounds like a no. Ryobi sounds positive. Any brand others have had good/bad luck with!?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. Sounds like electric is not a bad way to go. How about best brands? Worx sounds like a no. Ryobi sounds positive. Any brand others have had good/bad luck with!?
Stihl is good too. Not sure what stores carry it. I got mine at Agway.

Reaction Score
Had a Stihl 2 cycle chainsaw and it was great as long as I used fuel stabilizer in the tank and ran it dry before putting it away for an extended period. Had it over 15 years and sold it when we moved.

Leaf blower experience three years ago. I don't need one very often so at first I bought an inexpensive Ryobi at Home Depot. Charged it according to the manual and it lasted 7 minutes. Charged it again and it lasted a little less than 7 minutes. Took it back and they gave me another one that lasted about the same time. Then tried a Black and Decker and it wasn't much different...................so, spent more than twice as much to buy the mid-priced Stihl and it lasts over 20 minutes on a charge and is well worth the money and works great.

One piece of general advice on any leaf blower. DON'T buy the miles per hour BS the companies hype. They make more MPH by narrowing the end of the blower (venturi effect) but it doesn't measure force as much as cubic feet of air moved. You want to focus on cubic feet of air as that's what pushes around the leaves, pine straw, or whatever else you're doing.

Reaction Score
New(ish) homeowner here. I have been contemplating getting a chainsaw for some time, and my existing hand-me-down leaf blower just kicked the bucket.

Considering getting a battery powered leaf blower/chainsaw that is operated by the same rechargeable battery pack.

I know gas is better, and battery may not be as powerful... But I have a relatively small property to maintain (less than half acre).

Has anyone had any experience with battery powered outdoor equipment? Is the lack of power noticeable or a detriment compared to gas powered? Battery worth the convenience and lack of maintenance vs gas? Any brand in particular?
Have a battery leaf blower and would recommend gas. Just not enough life unless you buy a second battery for back up.

Have a 20v string trimmer/ edger combo by black and decker and love it. Would strongly encourage.

As for the mower, I would go gas unless you have a small yard.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Have a battery leaf blower and would recommend gas. Just not enough life unless you buy a second battery for back up.

Have a 20v string trimmer/ edger combo by black and decker and love it. Would strongly encourage.

As for the mower, I would go gas unless you have a small yard.
A second battery is a MUST.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Not a new homeowner. Battery chainsaw won’t cut down an oak tree. So think about what you need. I bought a Stihl gas chainsaw, which should last a lifetime. But for weed whackers and leaf blowers battery power is the way to go. Bought some for our Vermont place and love them. Literally ordered a battery leaf blower about 3 minutes ago from Home Depot. I have a gas backpack blower and a Toro plug in electric blower. Used the Toro today on oak seeds on my driveway, deck and patio and decided to give it away.

I got Ryobi because I’ve got Ryobi drill and hand saw using the same battery packs. So far the brand hasn’t let me down. Get whatever you want but consider that you will probably want to stick with that brand for other tools for battery consistency.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I have a bunch of the Ryobi 18V tools. Only went with their brand because of how many options they have. The leaf blower is the only one I would not recommend. Just cannot move leaves like the gas backpack blower. I only use it for the driveway and walkways now. The chainsaw is okay if you are looking to do some small limbing and cleanup. Otherwise, I leave it in the garage.

I have heard nothing but great things about all of the 40V options when it comes to power. That is usually the only downfall in the 18V.

Which Ryobi did you get? They have three and the top two seem pretty powerful. I’ve got a backpack blower anyway, so just ordered the battery pack blower for getting seeds and pollen off of my driveway and deck, maybe clearing dirt and leaves from the garage.

Reaction Score
I'd go for Stihl or a Husqvarna. I've tried out both and they give you plenty of power but it's a bit on the more expensive side.

I eventually ended up getting the gas versions of the Husqvarna because of my bigger sized yard.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Which Ryobi did you get? They have three and the top two seem pretty powerful. I’ve got a backpack blower anyway, so just ordered the battery pack blower for getting seeds and pollen off of my driveway and deck, maybe clearing dirt and leaves from the garage.

I had to look it up and it appears Dream Jobbed was correct. I have the hard surface blower which is why it is only good for cleaning the driveway and yard. The ECHO gas powered backpack blower gets the job done elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure the ryobi 18v blower is even intended for leafs. I was definitely disappointed in it. It’s good sawdust and clearing light snow of the cars and driveway
I'm about to pick up an 18v blower just for blowing off the deck. We spend so much time out there that it's worth the speed and convenience when there's pollen and other outside debris all over the place. I'll probably also use it for blowing off my car after I wash it. Otherwise I use the backpack blower for everything else.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I had to look it up and it appears Dream Jobbed was correct. I have the hard surface blower which is why it is only good for cleaning the driveway and yard. The ECHO gas powered backpack blower gets the job done elsewhere.
I'm about to pick up an 18v blower just for blowing off the deck. We spend so much time out there that it's worth the speed and convenience when there's pollen and other outside debris all over the place. I'll probably also use it for blowing off my car after I wash it. Otherwise I use the backpack blower for everything else.

Just got this one for the same use case, plus garage and driveway. Works fine. Not as powerful as my Toro plug in and certainly not up with my Husqvarna backpack. Wasn’t fully charged so it will probably be a bit stronger than it was out of the box. Works fine for what I need. Light and easy to use.

Reaction Score
Also a new homeowner. Just bought a Ryobi 20” 40V 6AH battery mower yesterday. Going to use it for the first time now. Will report back.

Reaction Score
My advice would be to go with the highest voltage/amp hours rating you can. And if possible interoperability with other tools. If u are starting from scratch pick one line and stick with it. Helps to have multiple batteries you can swap between tools. Ryobi is good mid market IMO. Dewalt and husqvarna are higher end.

Reaction Score
Have almost gas everything except for a Worx Trimmer/Edger I bought last week. I love it. Plenty powerful for what I need (which is not much w/ my yard) and it is perfect. Lightweight, 30 min or so battery life, came with two 20v batts.

Reaction Score
Also a new homeowner as of last year. Got the Greenworks 60V mower on clearance last August, then the 60V leaf blower in the fall, and finally the 60V trimmer last week.

Got the first 2 with battery (5 and then 2.5 Ah) and then saved money on the 3rd by getting the trimmer only. All batteries interchangeable, and the 2 of them can usually do my whole 0.5 acre yard.

I never used any of this stuff before and find them easy to use and not under-powered at all. Can't compare to gas or other brands, but no complaints, all for about 500 bucks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom