OT: battery powered outdoor equipment | The Boneyard

OT: battery powered outdoor equipment

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
New(ish) homeowner here. I have been contemplating getting a chainsaw for some time, and my existing hand-me-down leaf blower just kicked the bucket.

Considering getting a battery powered leaf blower/chainsaw that is operated by the same rechargeable battery pack.

I know gas is better, and battery may not be as powerful... But I have a relatively small property to maintain (less than half acre).

Has anyone had any experience with battery powered outdoor equipment? Is the lack of power noticeable or a detriment compared to gas powered? Battery worth the convenience and lack of maintenance vs gas? Any brand in particular?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Don't buy anything from Worx. Bought the chainsaw and the pressure washer for my Dad and ended up returning both. Just not powerful enough compared to gas or even plug ins.

Reaction Score
New(ish) homeowner here. I have been contemplating getting a chainsaw for some time, and my existing hand-me-down leaf blower just kicked the bucket.

Considering getting a battery powered leaf blower/chainsaw that is operated by the same rechargeable battery pack.

I know gas is better, and battery may not be as powerful... But I have a relatively small property to maintain (less than half acre).

Has anyone had any experience with battery powered outdoor equipment? Is the lack of power noticeable or a detriment compared to gas powered? Battery worth the convenience and lack of maintenance vs gas? Any brand in particular?

I don’t have a battery powered chainsaw or blower but I do have a Ryobi battery powered mower and weed whacker. I’m able to mow my 1/2 acre yard in a single charge using a 5AH battery and they have 7+AH batteries you can buy. I’m sure there are better brands out there but for the price and performance I’ve been very happy with Ryobi.

Reaction Score
Of course it depends on the size of your properties but we have a Stihl battery chainsaw as well as a hedge trimmer both use the same battery and they work great. The chainsaw cuts up 1 1/2" limbs and bushes really well. It isn't for felling trees. I have had to repair one electrical cord for each usage of old our electric hedge trimmer by my bride. I also have had the same Stihl chainsaw for 35 years and it still starts on the second pull every time. I go with Stihl and haven't been disappointed Also have a string trimmer, blower and and a pole saw all gas driven.

Reaction Score
I don’t have a mower that’s battery but I have a Dewalt 20V trimmer, blower and hedge trimmer and they all work well, the hedge trimmer works better to me than any gas one I’ve ever owned. All battery products have improved leaps and bounds over last five years.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I'm not a new homeowner (for better or worse), and I'm pretty selective. I spent good money on gas powered trimmers, chainsaws, blowers, you name it. And the aggravation was too much. Even if I drained the gas and did all of the recommended service, every season, something wouldn't start. Switching to battery power has been a godsend. Stuff just works.

I haven't tried battery mowers or snow blowers, because I've got too much grass and too much driveway.

But for everything else I've got 80v Greenworks and it's been great. BUT i think the biggest consideration if you want to swap and re-use batteries is to make sure the manufacturer will still be around and making batteries in 5 years. If I were to start over I'd go with a big name like Dewalt or Ryobi or even Kobalt, not one of the niche players like Greenworks.

Last edited:

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I don’t have a battery powered chainsaw or blower but I do have a Ryobi battery powered mower and weed whacker. I’m able to mow my 1/2 acre yard in a single charge using a 5AH battery and they have 7+AH batteries you can buy. I’m sure there are better brands out there but for the price and performance I’ve been very happy with Ryobi.
New-ish homeowner myself. Bought a Ryobi-brand lawnmower (40 volt) and weed whacker (18 volt) last year. Very happy with both. Can mow my 1/3 acre lawn in a single charge.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’ve got a ryobi 18v weedwacker, leaveblower, and drill. Love the weedwacker and drill but the leafblower is not powerful at all. Got a stihl and it’s much stronger. The only problem with ryobi is that you have to go to Home Depot which is a goshdarn nightmare.
Always have a backup charged and ready to go.

Reaction Score
I also have 80V greenworks chainsaw and backpack blower and they are great. I was in awe at the power of the chainsaw. It really is just as good as a 45 cc chainsaw but without all the normal hassles associated with chainsaws!

Reaction Score
I have had 3 electric cars and an electric lawn mower. None of them are less powerful than their gas equivalents. In fact, the mower seems to be more powerful than the gas mower I replaced. It's an 80V Kobalt, and I plan on getting the weed whacker and snow blower that uses the same battery as well.

Reaction Score
I have an Ego leafblower from HD. It has 2 speeds and is very good but not something that would move the leaves from a big yard in one charge. Recharges fast though. A half acre and it may be fine. My next weedwacker will be a battery powered one. I burn wood for heat so I have a Stihl MS270 chainsaw but with a half acre yard doing pruning and cleanup I would go battery if you need a new one.

Reaction Score
Buying a house with a small enough lawn that I can use the Ryobi weedwhacker and a non-motorized pushmower was the smartest thing I've ever done.

Thus my wife is definitely going to make us move when our pupa gets older.

Reaction Score
I have an Ego leafblower from HD. It has 2 speeds and is very good but not something that would move the leaves from a big yard in one charge. Recharges fast though. A half acre and it may be fine. My next weedwacker will be a battery powered one. I burn wood for heat so I have a Stihl MS270 chainsaw but with a half acre yard doing pruning and cleanup I would go battery if you need a new one.
Curious about what size EGO leafblower... their top of line has the highest number of mph and cubic feet moved of any leafblower.

I was considering a mower, leafblower, and trimmer from them as the batteries are interchangeable. My gas mower is about 20 yo, and on its last legs, and based on my newer snowblower, new gas appliances suck. Had to get a new carburetor after first year. Use only TrueFuel now, and Seafoam after doing a complete empty. I used to use the same 87 octane gas year after year with no problems on the old snowblower, and the lawnmower has been treated the same way. The new stuff is terrible.

Reaction Score
Get a generator. Not the gasoline kind. The wired in kind with multiple propane tanks. It's expensive but you never have to worry about power outages, especially if you have Eversource and not UI. Just the piece of mind is worth it when a potential hurricane or noreaster is a possibility. It has saved me several times over the years.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Curious about what size EGO leafblower... their top of line has the highest number of mph and cubic feet moved of any leafblower.

I was considering a mower, leafblower, and trimmer from them as the batteries are interchangeable. My gas mower is about 20 yo, and on its last legs, and based on my newer snowblower, new gas appliances suck. Had to get a new carburetor after first year. Use only TrueFuel now, and Seafoam after doing a complete empty. I used to use the same 87 octane gas year after year with no problems on the old snowblower, and the lawnmower has been treated the same way. The new stuff is terrible.
I just bought a EGo weed whacker. Love it. Battery snap snap out. I have a Kolbalt blower battery type. Excellent. I have a Kolbalt weed whacker. Tired of trying to string it. EGO, thread, push button..done. Ryobi is a good choice also. Thinking about the mower. Wife is always complaining about the smell of gas.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I have a bunch of the Ryobi 18V tools. Only went with their brand because of how many options they have. The leaf blower is the only one I would not recommend. Just cannot move leaves like the gas backpack blower. I only use it for the driveway and walkways now. The chainsaw is okay if you are looking to do some small limbing and cleanup. Otherwise, I leave it in the garage.

I have heard nothing but great things about all of the 40V options when it comes to power. That is usually the only downfall in the 18V.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have a bunch of the Ryobi 18V tools. Only went with their brand because of how many options they have. The leaf blower is the only one I would not recommend. Just cannot move leaves like the gas backpack blower. I only use it for the driveway and walkways now. The chainsaw is okay if you are looking to do some small limbing and cleanup. Otherwise, I leave it in the garage.

I have heard nothing but great things about all of the 40V options when it comes to power. That is usually the only downfall in the 18V.
I’m not sure the ryobi 18v blower is even intended for leafs. I was definitely disappointed in it. It’s good sawdust and clearing light snow of the cars and driveway

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score

MS270 is a great saw. I love my Stihl Farm Boss. A battery powered saw would never be able to replace it for what I need.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I have used chainsaws for years. There are plusses and minuses to both gas power and electric. If you're a homeowner, all you really need is the electric one. The gas brings WAY more power and will last longer on a tank than an electric will last on one charge, but the electric starts with a button - you don't have to prime or pull a string to start it. It saves time and effort, but gives up some strength/power. Also, the batteries die quickly when using them in the cold, but weekend warriors don't usually work in the winter, so that likely won't matter. Moving away from gas is the right thing to do, and eventually the overall quality of the electrics will catch up. Right now they are just cleaner and easier, but not necessarily "better." For what you need, the electric will absolutely work, and I think you'll prefer it.

I recommend this one.

Reaction Score
Im in the remodeling business and switching over to battery operated tools where I can.im using kobalt tools from Lowe's.they carry a 5yr guarantee which I've used twice

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom