Based on the roster as we know it right now, who do you think starts next season? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Based on the roster as we know it right now, who do you think starts next season?

Who starts the first games in November?

• Evina

• Olivia

• Christyn

• Aubrey

• Paige

• Nika

• Aaliyah

• Mir

• Azzi

• Amari

• Caroline

• Saylor

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Great all around basketball skills and the best HS shooter I’ve ever seen.
Let me be clear; I said this about Paige coming in this year, and I say it as well about Azzi: there's no way she is going to be a bench player. What was lacking all year for UConn? Consistent scoring, especially from 3s. There's no way Azzi doesn't become a starter! Do you know how much better this will make Paige? Try doubling her with Azzi out there--pick your poison...

Reaction Score
For the record, I've enjoyed this thread. Obviously I have my own opinion about who starts, and disagree with some of the comments in the thread, but it's just the beginning of summer and only 1 of the Fab 4 freshmen has set foot on campus thus far (Saylor).

We all have our expectations, but no one knows for sure the reality of just how good they will be. Geno commented on Paige when asked about his expectations of her, and the reality... he said something like

"I knew she was going to be good, I just had no idea she was going to be so good so fast. It was clear after the first few weeks that she was the best player on the team".
you're going to hear the same thing next season regarding Paige's running mate...........if the two of them are playing at full strength it will be a virtually unstoppable combination......

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
First games? Evina, Christyn, Page, Liv and Nika. I strongly doubt that's how it will end up though.

That said, I could see Edward starting for Liv or Azzi starting for Nika.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Let me be clear; I said this about Paige coming in this year, and I say it as well about Azzi: there's no way she is going to be a bench player. What was lacking all year for UConn? Consistent scoring, especially from 3s. There's no way Azzi doesn't become a starter! Do you know how much better this will make Paige? Try doubling her with Azzi out there--pick your poison...
Agree eventually. She'll get starters minutes, at least.

If you put Azzi in, who's slot does she take?

Reaction Score
I think (fantasize would be more like it) that the starting lineup will be almost irrelevant; but it will be the usual suspects: including Nika and ONO, and obviously PB, CW and EW. Eight players will get starting-level playing time, with two more very close. Opponents are not going to know what hit them; no answers because opposing coaches will be overwhelmed by too much to deal with, from too many sources.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Will not be popular here but based on the incredible strides she’s made in only one season, Aaliyah Edwards will probably come out of next preseason as the best #5 on the roster. I believe she’s should rotate as a starter depending on our opponents personnel.
She probably won’t but I believe she should.
May be an inch or two taller, but even if not- she brings the physicality we’ve lacked in the big games.
Now, if Olivia can develop her 8-12 ft jumper, it might be a LITTLE different story.
But I am not confident in that.
I believe she’s should rotate as a starter depending on our opponents personnel.

Why should UConn adjust to the (inferior) personnel of other teams? Shouldn't opponents be forced to adjust to UConn's personnel?

Reaction Score
I believe she’s should rotate as a starter depending on our opponents personnel.

Why should UConn adjust to the (inferior) personnel of other teams? Shouldn't opponents be forced to adjust to UConn's personnel?
Uh, see last weeks final 4 game.

Reaction Score
As I said Azzi is in. Next and some won’t like it EW would be perfect 6th woman. Can come in for front line or back court and an unselfish player. Edward’s also in lineup over Nika.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Geno talked about positionless basketball, spreading the floor, where everyone can shoot the 3. So I’m going all in on my fantasy starting 5 for next season:

Evina
Christyn
Paige
Nika
Azzi

How’s that for positionless basketball?
While I agree with 80% of your lineup, I understand your position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’d love to see a starting lineup of
Paige, Azzi, CW, Evina, Liv
-with AE and Nika getting quality minutes off the bench. Not sure how good Amari will be but if she can handle it, love to get her some good minutes for experience since Liv is graduating next year.
I think that could be deadly.
However, realistically I see
Nika, Paige, Evina, CW, Liv
With AE, Azzi giving good minutes and AG giving an extra spark when needed.
The great thing is that Geno is going to have an abundance of talent and have starter worthy talent coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
Agree eventually. She'll get starters minutes, at least.

If you put Azzi in, who's slot does she take?
She would likely replace Nika, Westbrook will be playing the 4 again unless Edwards is a starter. Nika is a good player, but I don’t see this outstanding lock down defender who just has to be in the starting line up, A high energy player who will come in play defense, and get you about 5 ppg would be perfect for a bench role. Azzi brings just about everything to the table that Mühl does, but she also comes with automatic jump shot, Mühl had a career high of 19 points in her 16th college game this year, Azzi will likely have three 19 point games by her 8th college game.

Reaction Score
if it was just your ordinary highly ranked high school recruit I would agree but is as good or better than PB in many ways and that kind of rare talent doesn't sit very often......
She's the best shooter for a high school player I have ever seen. I understood the question to refer to the beginning of the season next year. In the beginning, I think Nika starts.

Reaction Score
just my opinion , if we will play 9 or 10 roster next year
may be 3 big gals will get 20 mins , ONO , AE , Amari
and anothher 20 mins maybe CD or AG can get it
PB 30 mins CW 25mins 25mins
Evina 20mins NM 15 mins

Reaction Score
If they play their normal OOC schedule next year and Olivia doesn't step up. Her minutes will get drastically cut and if Amari is a player Liv will be third on the depth chart. Everyone keeps saying that Nika needs to come off the bench too. Geno expressed what the team was missing because of her intensity and don't ignore what he is thinking and wants from his team. If Liya makes the Sophmore leap then Liv better produce or she will be sitting. Geno wants a NC and this years version of Liv won't cut it.

Reaction Score
Geno talked about positionless basketball, spreading the floor, where everyone can shoot the 3. So I’m going all in on my fantasy starting 5 for next season:

Evina
Christyn
Paige
Nika
Azzi

How’s that for positionless basketball?
Take Nika out and put Edwards in her place and I would agree with you!

Reaction Score
I only hope Azzi is half as good as some here say she is. Also, I can’t believe how many seem to be sleeping on Caroline Ducharme!

Reaction Score
Did you watch the three-point shooting contest where Azzi shot with a boot on? Yes, nobody was guarding her, but who else could shoot like that with a boot on?

Reaction Score
I only hope Azzi is half as good as some here say she is. Also, I can’t believe how many seem to be sleeping on Caroline Ducharme!
If it is the case, her ranking will not be #1 and Geno may not recruit her.

Reaction Score
Ok the lineup is set. Just send it on to Geno to implement and we can all move on!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Take Nika out and put Edwards in her place and I would agree with you!
I suggested my starting 5 as something of a fantasy: 5 guards who can all handle the ball and shoot it. My actual guess for the starting 5 would be Liv in place of Azzi at the start of the season with Aaliyah & Azzi both pressing hard to break into the starting lineup, and certainly earning major PT off the bench.

I would not underestimate Nika’s ability to hold onto her starting spot. She makes Paige better by handling the PG role, which allows Paige to slide into the 2 spot and hunt her shot. Nika is maybe the toughest player on the team. She can disrupt the opposing team’s offense with her relentless defensive pressure on the ball and Geno loves having her in the lineup.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric: did you forget Piath and Autumn on your list?
I did not. In the original post I said:

I realize that things might change during the season given injuries, poor play, or exceptional play, but who do you think starts the beginning of the season in November based on who we currently have? Please note - no disrespect meant to Piath and Autumn, but I'm not including them. I'm listing the players by year...

Side note - Mir, Aubrey and Saylor received 0 votes as "who will start", and all of them were ahead of Piath and Autumn on the depth chart this past season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom