UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 38 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
TT (assuming he doesn’t get drafted) was already off to a solid start at Central and is highly regarded as one of the top players in the northeast. Would be a massive pickup. Would be interesting to see what they do with Reggie tho. I personally would have TT DH and have Reggie play first

I would be very surprised if Reggie Crawford is not the primary player at 1B for UConn next season, with or without Bowens as part of the team. Crawford was just named the top defensive 1B in the Penders era by the UConn coaching staff, a pick based on his defensive potential. I doubt the coaching staff will want to muck with around with that. Combine this with what Crawford showed offensively, I'm inclined to think that the only time Crawford won't be at 1B is if he has an injury, or if he ends up getting an opportunity to pitch.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I would be very surprised if Reggie Crawford is not the primary player at 1B for UConn next season, with or without Bowens as part of the team. Crawford was just named the top defensive 1B in the Penders era by the UConn coaching staff, a pick based on his defensive potential. I doubt the coaching staff will want to muck with around with that. Combine this with what Crawford showed offensively, I'm inclined to think that the only time Crawford won't be at 1B is if he has an injury, or if he ends up getting an opportunity to pitch.
How good is Crawford if he is better than Chris Winkel defensively at 1B. Wink is very good over there.

Reaction Score
agreed. You certainly do not turn down talent like Bowens when its available- but don't see Reggie being supplanted at first. But man having that punch added to lineup would be a welcome addition.

Reaction Score
It would be fantastic if Bowens could make the transition to 3B. He’s still an athletic dude and can make some good defensive plays

Reaction Score
The D1baseball.com transfer tracker is showing graduate transfer Ciaran Devenney, a catcher who played at UMass Lowell the last two seasons, as coming to UConn. That would seem to solve the need of a backup catcher to Pat Winkel. Before that, Devenney played at Delaware State as a freshman, and at Mercer CC as a sophomore.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Great OBP and solid power numbers - could be a DH candidate but the lineup is so stacked...

Reaction Score
I would think UConn baseball will probably get at least a potential third catcher for next season's team. Maybe they will get another California JUCO guy who could potentially compete for the starting job in the 2022 season, or another freshman recruit. We'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
According to the D1Baseball.com transfer tracker, UConn has picked up a player from Bowling Green, which just reinstated its recently snuffed out baseball program. LHP Mason Kolean was a freshman on this season's BG team, but he did not pitch, so I would think he would be a redshirt freshman next season. Kolean is 6'3'', and he is from Clarkson, Michigan.

I have to wonder if this transfer will stick now that Bowling Green has a baseball team again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
According to the D1Baseball.com transfer tracker, UConn has picked up a player from Bowling Green, which just reinstated its recently snuffed out baseball program. LHP Mason Kolean was a freshman on this season's BG team, but he did not pitch, so I would think he would be a redshirt freshman next season. Kolean is 6'3'', and he is from Clarkson, Michigan.

I have to wonder if this transfer will stick now that Bowling Green has a baseball team again.

It's academic. He is a freshmen eligibility wise either way due to every spring sport athlete getting back this year if eligibility.

Reaction Score

Mason Kolean's twitter account now has a UConn Baseball tag on it. It appears his transfer will stick.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a FYI, if approved y the powers that be, Jersey is looking to put together a large, as in 156 teams, summer baseball tournament for high school age players to basically serve as a substitute for the lost 2020 High school baseball season. There will be some rule changes, possibly 10 to 11 in a batting line-up with almost unlimited substitutions and pitch-count caps to allow everyone to play along with safety rules, such as umpires behind the pitcher. If it happens, I'll try and catch a few games since the minors are DOA and MLB is doing its best to shoot the national pastime in foot.

Reaction Score
As a FYI, if approved y the powers that be, Jersey is looking to put together a large, as in 156 teams, summer baseball tournament for high school age players to basically serve as a substitute for the lost 2020 High school baseball season. There will be some rule changes, possibly 10 to 11 in a batting line-up with almost unlimited substitutions and pitch-count caps to allow everyone to play along with safety rules, such as umpires behind the pitcher. If it happens, I'll try and catch a few games since the minors are DOA and MLB is doing its best to shoot the national pastime in foot.

If you ask me, even before the pandemic hit, MLB was trying its best to kill off minor league baseball as well. The pandemic just gave them an assist.

Reaction Score

According to Perfect Game, 2022 catcher Levi Mcallister is the #1 player in NH!! Plays for St. Marks in Mass. Listed at 5’9” 185

I believe this is the first reported commitment from a high school player UConn baseball has gotten since the start of the pandemic.

Reaction Score
With Levi Mcallister’s commitment, I believe that brings our number of 2022 commits to 3...

Niko Brini (OF)
Gavin Gregor (OF/1B/LHP)
Levi Mcallister (C/3B)

Reaction Score
I've been away for a couple days taking a turn at taking care of my Dad in Pennsylvania, but while down there I found this in the Levi McAllister profile under the comments section of PrepBaseballReport.com:

>2/09/20
New England Procase
5-foot-9, 190-pound, thick, durable athletic frame. A right-handed hitting catcher, behind the plate, setup is wide based, hands are strong on the catch, secures the pitch. The arm action is short, whippy working from a higher slot, clocked at 75 mph, showing good carry down to second base. The pop time was 2.12- 2.16, all throws were on the bag and showed the ability to throw from knees, a weapon on back picking. At the plate, even feet, slightly wider than shoulder width, higher hand set, with a flat bat. The swing is short to contact, level to up path, finishing with two-hands at shoulder height. The approach was more line drive from field to field. Recorded a tee exit velocity of 87 mph and ran a 7.58 sixty-yard dash. Solid catch and throw guy, conditioning is a must.
Tee Exit Velocity: 87 mph
Arm Velocity: 75 mph
Sixty-Yard Dash: 7.58<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seems like a great player with still a good amount of time to develop before college!! The pop time and tee exit velo sticks out to me as great!! @dbmill I hope all is well with your father

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom