Bad news: Positive Covid Test- Team to Pause Activities [MERGED THREAD] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bad news: Positive Covid Test- Team to Pause Activities [MERGED THREAD]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Very sorry to hear this, particularly as a WBB fan and also because the season was just around the corner.
However, hope the players, coaches, staff can get better/avoid getting sick/move forward at the most prudent time for one and all.

Reaction Score
wise to keep testing perfectly young healthy low risk non symptomatic people? Taking away their once in a lifetime opportunities (school, graduation, prom, athletic opportunities, etc)?
No attack but does the etc cover missing an early demise? :(

In terms of significant games this is pretty major. We have a pretty limited number of games that would be in doubt, and just lost two of those in Louisville and probably Mississippi State. Pretty much means the final season ranking will depend on how we do against Baylor and South Carolina.
No attack but, got priorities? At this point in time UConn would be a final four ranked team if there was no season. ;)

This also affects the race to catch Pat Summit.
Again no attack but what race to catch Pat Summit? Geno is already at the summit with 11 NC's in an era where there was more competition. :)

The thoughts here IMHO should be with the team and staffs health over what our fan base is missing. I hate it as much as the next fan but reality should be the rule.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear this. Louisville just rescheduled its Wednesday opener from a road game at MTSU to a road game at SEMO. And now no game against you guys on December 4.

As many have said, this is what we'll be looking at all season....if there is one.

Reaction Score
How does NFL MLB Nick Saban get away with in many cases under 7 days? But WBB is an automatic 14 days?
In NFL an exposed/in-contact & quarantined player can test (negative) back in after 5 days. Not so in NCAA ("guidelines"). Nick Saban is P5 football - not controlled by NCAA.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I can imagine Westbrook is more disappointed than the rest of the team seeing how she has been waiting so long to play again. However, I know she understands. Also, I doubt if any of the UConn family is concerned about catching P. Summit in victories or where they will be ranked. That pales compared with what is happening with the virus.

Reaction Score
No attack but, got priorities? At this point in time UConn would be a final four ranked team if there was no season. ;)

Again no attack but what race to catch Pat Summit? Geno is already at the summit with 11 NC's in an era where there was more competition. :)

The thoughts here IMHO should be with the team and staffs health over what our fan base is missing. I hate it as much as the next fan but reality should be the rule.
Can we get a banner for that?

Reaction Score
How does NFL MLB Nick Saban get away with in many cases under 7 days? But WBB is an automatic 14 days?
My guess is the 14 days is more a state of Connecticut rule than an NCAA rule.

Reaction Score
My guess is the 14 days is more a state of Connecticut rule than an NCAA rule.

Nope... from a few weeks ago:

>As it currently stands, the NCAA has recommended that schools test three times per week starting on the week before their first game. They are also recommending that any positive test from players, coaches, or essential staff is followed up by a 14-day quarantine for the entire team.

The NCAA’s recommendation is as follows: “If any Tier 1 individual becomes infected, schools should consider quarantining the entire team, including coaching staff and other essential personnel who are part of Tier 1, for 14 days, provided determinations around who must be quarantined are ultimately the jurisdiction of applicable public health officials. At present, there is not a recommendation for consideration of testing out of quarantine.”

Ackerman said schools in the Big East have already begun testing and they expect to begin the three-times-per-week testing a week before game, as the NCAA recommends.<

Reaction Score
I think it’s NCAA
Then it must be the same reason why you and I have to quarantine for 14 days when we return if we Travel out of state But BC football and Syracuse football ( and the teams they play) come and go as they please. It basically BS.

Reaction Score
Then it must be the same reason why you and I have to quarantine for 14 days when we return if we Travel out of state But BC football and Syracuse football ( and the teams they play) come and go as they please. It basically BS.
Sports teams can come and go without quarantining just like you could as long as you stay in the state for less than a day or whatever that threshold is. Other states have the same rule so that people that live and work in different states (common in the northeast) don't have to quarantine just for going to work every day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is NO way there will be a season, not with the ridiculous recommendations that the NCAA has instituted. Shutting down an entire program for 14 days because of one positive case is just absurd! Quarantine the positive case, quarantine the other players for 3 days and test them daily, if they pass 3 straight tests they are cleared to resume team activities. I just don't see anyway they can have a season this year.

Everyone's afraid of lawsuits so if one quarantines for 14 days the others follow suit. Your suggestion makes too much sense even with those red socks in plain view!

Reaction Score
Who would foot the bill for putting all these teams in each bubble location? Hotel rooms, food, for 4 months +/-. The schools don’t have that kind of money. Most schools are losing their shirts as it is. You play the games you can play and if someone tests positive you shut it down for 14 days. That is the best solution.
The fact that these schools (who've been charging exorbitant amounts of money for tuition for a while now are running out of money is payback for their extortion and incompetence) and the NCAA who makes A LOT of money every year off these student athletes are now broke is laughable in my mind and honestly their ineptitude shows what’s really on their minds. It’s not about the student athletes or the sports it’s all about the money. Your point is not taken.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is disturbing news and exactly what I hoped we could avoid.

I feel for the players, especially Evina, who has been waiting seemingly forever to wear a UConn uniform. I also feel for any player or any person who contracts the virus. As JordyG said, there is much that is unknown. A 60 Minutes segment last night addressed the "long-haulers," who seemingly recovered from the virus but are still experiencing major symptoms. As I noticed in another thread, my granddaughter--a college athlete who made all-conference as a freshman soccer player--still has symptoms 2 months after contracting the virus. The doctor hopes she will be ok in another month. Imagine if one of our players is out for 3 months or longer. Suppose that player never regains her level of play! Has anyone heard how Asia Durr is doing? She missed the entire W season.

What basketball teams have had to discontinue activities because of the virus? I think we have UConn men and women, Utah men, and Marquette men and women. Are there others? Of course, the Ivy League cancelled the season. This is beginning to feel a lot like March. :(

Edit: Middle Tennessee State women also have a hiatus. Seton Hall women (at least) as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Remember that so far we have no idea who it was that tested positive (and test results are not 100% sure with some type testing more reliable than others). It could be a team member, coaching staff, male practice players, and others associated with the program. Don't start the blame game even if we do find out later. I was hopeful that they would make it until the rest of the student body was gone for the semester. Goodbyes can be difficult and cause a moment of less than careful thought. We all have our lives to live and to protect. At times that last sentence has the greatest conflict.

Reaction Score
Terribly disappointing news! But even though we are culturally predisposed to cast about for someone or something to blame (NCAA?), that effort is, as it generally tends to be, an exercise in futility. Alas, the gulf between THE WAY THINGS REALLY ARE, and THE WAY WE ARDENTLY WISH THINGS COULD BE is depressingly wide. I'm sure that when I was five or six years of age, I would have whined, "But Mommy, I don't care, I still want my birthday party!" Of course I haven't been five or six for a very long time!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
This thread is not to debate national health policy, politics, etc. it's too controversial, and creates too much work for the mods.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger