B1G and BTN establish B1G Corporate Sponsorships | The Boneyard

B1G and BTN establish B1G Corporate Sponsorships

Reaction Score

7/25/2022 9:59:55 AM

ROSEMONT, Ill. —
The Big Ten Conference and Big Ten Network (BTN) today announced the creation of Big Ten Corporate Partnerships (BTCP), a dedicated team to lead the conference’s league-level corporate sponsorships and partner activations. Industry veteran Tyler Kupper has been tapped to lead the new business as the vice president of sponsorships. Mr. Kupper will work in conjunction with Big Ten Conference Commissioner Kevin Warren and BTN President François McGillicuddy.

BTCP will offer strategic corporate sponsorships, innovative partnership activations, television and digital media inventory and creative adverting opportunities associated with the league-level events and VIP fan experiences during the conference championships and tournaments. The collaboration between BTCP and the Big Ten Network media sales team, led by BTN Vice President of Advertising and Sales, Jack Brown, positions the entire conference for further growth.

“Having a powerful presence in the three largest media markets, New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles, the BTCP team will deliver a breadth of innovative, strategic, and holistic corporate sponsorships and partner activations,” stated Commissioner Warren. “We are incredibly grateful for the Big Ten fans. Their passionate, loyal, and powerful support of our member institutions and student-athletes across linear and digital platforms, and in-person at our championship events, brings unparalleled value to our world-class partners. It is a fantastic time to be member of the Big Ten Conference, and we welcome Tyler to our team.”

“Together, Tyler and Jack will lead a dynamic team poised to maximize Big Ten assets by offering tailored solutions to meet the needs of our partners,” said BTN’s McGillicuddy. “Our current outstanding sponsor partners and future partners will have our linear and digital platforms, and our new direct sponsorship offerings providing outstanding brands a 360-degree approach to connect with Big Ten fans.”

Mr. Kupper previously served as chief revenue officer for Weatherman Umbrella and director of sports marketing for USA Today Sports Media Group. Mr. Kupper will be based in the Rosemont, IL, and New York Big Ten Conference offices.

BTCP assets will include impactful linear and digital media inventory, on-site promotional activation, in-venue signage, official designations, and corporate hospitality. The BTCP team will offer a range of meaningful ways for conference partners to connect directly with Big Ten brand loyal alumni and fans including the BTN’s current assets that continue to amplify corporate partnership opportunities.

Reaction Score
“Having a powerful presence in the 3 largest media markets, New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles . . .”

That line jumped off the page at me. If this is their selling point, then that line deserves further scrutiny. Rutgers obviously does not give the B1G a powerful presence in the NY market. It does offer a potentially powerful presence, but certainly not right now.

I’ve been pessimistic about our chances in realignment, but never say never. Does this offer a glimmer of hope for UConn, the only other big time program which actually covers part it the NY market?

Reaction Score
“Having a powerful presence in the 3 largest media markets, New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles . . .”

That line jumped off the page at me. If this is their selling point, then that line deserves further scrutiny. Rutgers obviously does not give the B1G a powerful presence in the NY market. It does offer a potentially powerful presence, but certainly not right now.

I’ve been pessimistic about our chances in realignment, but never say never. Does this offer a glimmer of hope for UConn, the only other big time program which actually covers part it the NY market?
It's not just Rutgers. There are thousands of B1G alumni in the NYC market that contribute as well

Reaction Score
It's not just Rutgers. There are thousands of B1G alumni in the NYC market that contribute as well
True, but couldn’t you say the same about Atlanta, Silicon Valley, Austin, or any of a number of other corporate and/or high tech hubs? “A powerful presence” means to me that the B1G itself is there in a major way, not just its alumni.

Reaction Score
True, but couldn’t you say the same about Atlanta, Silicon Valley, Austin, or any of a number of other corporate and/or high tech hubs? “A powerful presence” means to me that the B1G itself is there in a major way, not just its alumni.
B1G has a huge alumni base from coast to coast and the alumni are sending their kids to BIG Ten schools

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

There’s a difference between alumni in a market and having a team with a large quantity of alumni.

Reaction Score

They have a conference office in NYC on 3rd Avenue.

“…Additionally, for all New York Yankees regular season games, beginning in 2014, the Big Ten will have a significant branding presence in Yankee Stadium, featuring a fixed sign along the first-base line and home plate rotating signage.”

Reaction Score
B1G has a huge alumni base from coast to coast and the alumni are sending their kids to BIG Ten schools
There’s a difference between alumni in a market and having a team with a large quantity of alumni.

It’s a few years old but… Oh, the Places You’ll Go! Where Big Ten Graduates Live and Conference Realignment

-> Let’s get back to the four cities that have a connection with every single Big Ten school: New York, Los Angeles, Washington and San Francisco. If anyone wants to wonder why the Big Ten added Maryland and Rutgers, just look at this data. The additions of those schools were not so much about Maryland and Rutgers actually delivering their respective home markets of DC and NYC, but rather bringing the Big Ten product directly to where the league’s alums now live. It’s no different than why pro sports leagues are so insistent on having franchises in places like Florida and Arizona: it’s not that they are delusional to believe that those markets will have great homegrown fan bases, but rather that they are places where transplants from New York, Chicago and Boston can directly watch their favorite teams. <-

(… and continue to scroll all the way through for the UConn mention)

Reaction Score
Thanks for the link. Good article overall. I’ll defer to Frank’s knowledge of the B1G when it comes to UConn because he’s Chicago based.

But he sounds like a Chicagoan when it comes to his knowledge of Syracuse University. First of all it’s not a very large private university unless he’s comparing it to Little Ivies like Wesleyan. Its undergrad enrollment is 14,000 and it’s total enrollment is 22,000. There are plenty of private universities bigger than that.

But it’s his claim that it is almost NY’s flagship university where he’s way off. I’m from NYC and lived there for 25 years. Downstate is where NY’s population is and no one downstate cares about SU, which is 250 miles from The City, almost twice as far as UConn is fro The Big Apple. SU likes to advertise itself as NY’s team, but it’s not. That marketing campaign came and went. It flopped. To make matters worse, only about a third of SU’s enrollment are New Yorkers, further undermining the flagship claim.

Reaction Score
Can the Big East create similar Corporate Partnerships? I would like UConn out of the so-called Big East ASAP. but members may get more cash if they set up such as scenario.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom